Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

newb driveline issue 3rd to 4th grind,+ rpm issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newb driveline issue 3rd to 4th grind,+ rpm issue

I picked up a 2003, I'm sure it was someone on here's but anyway It is a 03 Blk with a Apex-i power fc, hks guages mounted on dash and steering colum with all that carbon stick on stuff on the interior. it also has an HKS EVC and seems to have an agressive cam in it. Hks intake and pipe kit.

3 questions:

1. is the 3rd to 4th grind common, and is it the trans going out or a clutch issue? it does it even if I soft-slowshift.

2. is the surging from 1300 rps to 1700 rms at stops due to a Vacume leak, or just an agressive cam and I need to deal with it.

3. who's car was it they did a nice job with the setup, I just need ot hone in these questions to get her where i want her.

last eight of VIN are: 3U123420 black 2003 all HKS'd out
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

here are some suggestions before evom ****'s tell you to search.

-get engine mounts (powerflex)

-flush out your transmission fluid and replace with OEM SPEC FLUID

-These cars in general do not shift smooth, so you may need to be relearn how you shift gears (fully depressing the clutch pedel before shifting), or readjust your seating position

Worse comes to worse you may need to get it rebuilt, and if you search 2003 had some transmission syncro recalls or TSB.

The surging issue is not normal, and could be to a couple of things. Do you have a VTA bov and do you an an engine reflash?

I would go to a local speed shop that is trusted and get the problem fixed. Where are you located?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:45 PM

I have a stand alone Apexi Power FC ECU. I am in oc and work in Downey. Gary at Dynamic works on my cars, I'll hit him up this week. The car came built like this so I'm working this deal backwards to see if the car can be cleaned up or not. It runs like a bat out of hell on the road, just surges at stops, like a cam or a vac issue.

The grind shift is ONLY going into 4th.
MAtt