Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"Crunchy" 1->2 Shifts?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Crunchy" 1->2 Shifts?

So I know this seems to be a common thing on performance gearboxes for many other cars. I was just curious, if my fellow EVO drivers are seeing the same situation.

I currently have a 2005 EVO VIII and its driving me nuts (only because I demand perfection out of a perfect machine). People on many boards are calling it Crunch? Not necessarily a gear grind. When Im shifting (i can tell more so on 2nd to 3rd), my alignment is not perfect which causes these notches. On 1st to 2nd shifting, its more prevalent. What I normally have to do help the situation, is shift slow. in fact, when I drive and shift around 3k, I put constant (light) force to the shifter and I can feel the shifter getting sucked into the 2nd, but halfway....a notch is stopping it and then after 0.5 seconds, it goes in. (So there seems to be an alignment issue).

If I do it fast, then you feel me going through all the notches and makes a "crunch" sound, but either slow or fast, i can feel it. On the 2nd to 3rd gear shift, if I time it right, it's sometimes smooth and sometimes, i feel like one notch. 4th is alittle notch like 5% of the time, most of the time...its smooth or rather...smoother. 5th is good.

there are the somethings if you are curious about:

1) Happens in cold or warm engine.

2) Shifting faster or (more agressive) doesn't help it.

3) I haven't not changed my gear fluid and I will be stopping by the dealer next week to get this changed. (I'm at 27K miles).

4) Yes, I am pushing the clutch all the way down.

if anyone has a solution or experienced this, let's discuss it.

Thanks in Advance.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was gonna suggest changing the fluid but you are doing that next week. Hope that does the trick.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:06 AM

have you experienced something like this?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

1. Maybe your clutch is in need of a slight adjustment to improve disengagement.
  2. Fluid change is a good idea, it always seems to improve my shifter feel, and I typically change driveline fluids at 15k mile intervals
I made two changes recently that have really improved my shifter feel, back to nearly-perfect. First was a stainless clutch line and the removal of the clutch slave restrictor pill...I immediately noticed smoother shifting and better disengagement... of course, I bled the line at this point as well...

The second was the Blox front motor mount (front engine roll stopper). The motor mount gave me a dramatic improvement on driveability, especially with regard to the 1-2 and 2-3 "crunch" you speak of. The blox mount was the best bang-for-the-buck mod i've ever done.

Consider this, I've got 61k miles on my original clutch with a bit over 300whp...so i replaced some decently worn parts which may contribute to my "wow" factor...but my buddy did the same 2 mods at the same time that I did and with only 14k miles, he's also highly impressed with the driveability improvements.

Best luck!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

No crunch on mine. My transmission is perfectly smooth.

But then I changed the tranny fluid after my 1200 mile break in period, along with the rest of the drive train. Lots of metal shavings floating around...

Then people here mocked me for changing my fluid so early.

LOL.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I have an IX MR. When I go from 1st to 2nd it kinda does this too. I tried to shift really easy to avoid it and it makes the problem worse. I find that shifting into 2nd quickly but smoothly helps, maybe because it keeps the rpm up to shift relatively faster.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run Redline MT90 and have since my break-in. After my break in I noticed a huge amount of metal on the magnet as stated above. The Redline oil really helped my shifts, except when it is cold then I might as well be driving a tank. I would say ditch the OEM fluid and go with something better Shep rrecommends Redline and thats what I run. Peace
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Basically, look at the following-

1. Clutch engagement - adjust it higher to make sure it's releasing
2. Shifter linkages - Check to make sure your cables are in good shape and not bent.
3. Change fluid - MT90 provides the best protection, but not the best shift quality. BG II actually provided great shifting, but I think it caused me my synchro issues.

One question - With the car shut off, how does the shifter patern feel? go through all the gears and see if it's still notchy. If it is, then I'd look into 2
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing over here, I'm at 43500 miles, hopefully changing the fluids at 45k will do it. This does get annoying and is the only thing from making the car perfect.

When the car is off mines goes through gears like butter.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

it happens to me sometimes, but I need a clutch.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

change the fluids i have a IX mr and was having the same problem got the fluids switched and it went away
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:53 PM

i tried something today that might have some insight to what is going on. If I shift into 2nd gear but put pressure away from me, like im shifting into 4 (light pressure), then sometimes it will go in like butter and other times the notches are significantly decreased.

That would mean that I have an alignment problem. Could fluid change help this? Could it be that the fluid is too thick?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

^^ Good question, would like to know as well.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:19 AM

could it possibly be a problem with the master or slave cylinder on the clutch? im just throwing it out there. My friend with an evo VIII has a problem with the clutch, but he replaced the master cylinder and the problem went away, it was a slipping feeling, but if the clutch pressure is hindered by the master cylinder it may lead to a similar problem as stated by the OP. But i would change fluid preliminarily and see how that changes things.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Adjust the pedal. Making the rod longer will probably help but it will move your engagement to the top of the pedal. I guess this is due to the Evo's pull design clutch? It's much easier to drive when the engagement is lower but it also causes gear lockout issues.

Also, you could try bleeding your slave cylinder if pedal adjustment doesnt help.

What clutch?

Quick Reply: "Crunchy" 1->2 Shifts?