Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installing HID bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2003, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing HID bulbs?

HI, i recently bought some d2s hid bulbs from my Evo. These bulbs are the same ones used on Audi's.... However i'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to dismount the ballast and install the bulbs. Anyone tried it?
Old May 21, 2003, 06:29 PM

u had remove the bumper and take out the haedlamp.
Old May 21, 2003, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

You dont need to remove anything but the old bulb. The large plug should come off in the back of the headlamp assembly then you can remove the bulb. Dont touch the glass on the bulb.
Old May 22, 2003, 01:31 PM

why are u replacing ur bulbs anyway
Old May 23, 2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Coolguy949
You dont need to remove anything but the old bulb. The large plug should come off in the back of the headlamp assembly then you can remove the bulb. Dont touch the glass on the bulb.
Sorry man... I replaced my entire OEM HID system with Philips kit. You HAVE to remove the bumper to change JUST the D2S bulbs (and the Mitsubishi tech manual says it's easy maintenance, lolz!). Good luck to those that are willing to try it!
Old May 23, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, you're right. I tried last night and noticed they really stuck those things in there. Removing of the bumper seems like the only way to do it.

I just thought it was like all other HIDs and you just change the bulbs......of course, they had to make it hard for us LOL.

How do you like your philips kit? Ultinons??

Oh, what brand of bulbs are in there stock? It should say the brand on the stock bulb you removed.
Old May 23, 2003, 05:36 PM

Yeah, you're right. I tried last night and noticed they really stuck those things in there. Removing of the bumper seems like the only way to do it.

I just thought it was like all other HIDs and you just change the bulbs......of course, they had to make it hard for us LOL.

How do you like your philips kit? Ultinons??
The kit I picked are Stage 2 kits from Philips, rated at 6000K. Just a heads up about HID kits. I've had alot of experience with HID kits and have tried or seen kits from many companies. Here are a few tips:

1. As far as I know, Philips or Hella are the only kits that seem to last a long time due to the extremely high quality of their products. Their product are very professionally made. Philips or Hella, btw, are OEM suppliers for BMW, Mercedes, Acura, and other luxury brand cars (don't you love the purplish light of an oncoming BMW on the highway ?).

2. DO NOT get HID bulbs made in Taiwan OR any bulbs that have a blue coating in them. I can guarantee you that they will not last very long; in fact, with a failure rate of 10%, and if you get ANY bulbs with a blue coating on them, you are wasting your money. Bulbs with a blue tint on them filter out all the other colors of the color spectrum EXCEPT the blue color. The result is, yes, a blue color from the bulbs, but with the brightness at probably 30% of your OEM bulbs.
The ballasts manufactured in Taiwan seem very shady as well. Their ballast aren't constructed to last very long in the harsh environment of an engine compartment, such as heat, cold, and vibrations.

3. DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT get anything higher then 35 watt D2S replacement bulbs. I don't wanna lecture, but I can guarantee you that if you get anything higher, you WILL regret it.

4. You probably don't want anything higher then 6000K. Any higher and the color will start to suffer. You want that bluish or purplish look, not MEGA-DARK purple. Too dark a purple and you might as well stick with PIAA halogens. Take a look at a spectrum chart and you'll see what I mean. So yeah, those 8000K HID kits?... I wouldn't go for them.

Recommendation: Try to get Philips or Hella HID kits/bulbs. I have tried them and they are very good... better then most kits/bulbs I have tried or seen. Philips/Hella offer at the highest color temperature of 6000K, very good quality in craftsmanship of their bulbs and ballasts, and will last very long. Also, Philips/Hella warranties your bulbs for 5 years in case they blow out.

Oh, what brand of bulbs are in there stock? It should say the brand on the stock bulb you removed.
The stock HID bulbs are Osram Xenarcs. Go figure... Osram or Sylvania bulbs seem to be in every car with stock bulbs, lolz!
Old May 23, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. BMW's use Osram Xenarc bulbs. It really must be the optics and the ballasts that make the color output so different. How do you like your 6000K bulbs? How much were they?
Old Jun 20, 2003, 05:03 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

I am looking for 4300k for that white look!