Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What Gear lube do I buy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Gear lube do I buy?

Can Anyone tell me what king of Gear Lube I should buy for my Rear Diff. My car is not on any kind of warranty, so I have tochange it my self and the dealer cant sell me the lube they use because they buy it in 5 gallon buckets. Minsubishi dealer told me I can use 75 80 lube, But all I found was 75 90. Also what brand to I buy?
Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Everyone is going to tell you to buy the OEM Diaqueen fluid. Its available through Lancershop and TRE. I personally will never use anything but the OEM fluids in the diffs. Tranny is another story.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Check out motul. I can't say enough about. 100% difference from the diaqueen.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

they sell motul at lancershop ?.. if not link please?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm interested in knowing what makes Motul better than the Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil, part #3775610, the oil Mitsubishi specifies for the transfer case.

Any real data?

Do tell.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

BG syncroshift II in trans.(5spd) stock diaqueen in t/c and diffs,PERIOD! You will never have a fluid related problem.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I use the following:

Redline 75w-90 gear oil in the rear diff
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the TC
2 qts of BG Syncroshift and one qt of Redline MT90 in tranny. But I like 3 qts of synchromesh much better. So i will switch back soon.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
I use the following:

Redline 75w-90 gear oil in the rear diff
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the TC
2 qts of BG Syncroshift and one qt of Redline MT90 in tranny. But I like 3 qts of synchromesh much better. So i will switch back soon.

That'll work just fine.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Ill reply the same to this as the other gear threads. Other fluids work, but almost all of them have a few horror stories. Stock Diaqueen though has NEVER had an issue. My opinion, go Diaqueen in the diffs/tc. Syncromesh works in the trannie to smooth it out, unless you track your car. Stick with the stock thick stuff in that case, Syncromesh is too light for the heavy duty high heat situations(look at you manual, syncromesh is a bit light in terms of recommended trannie fluid weight)
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by GEARS
That'll work just fine.
Isn't there a wet clutch in the later Evos that would be a consideration when choosing an oil?
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Isn't there a wet clutch in the later Evos that would be a consideration when choosing an oil?

Yes, the ACD transfer cases do have a multi-plate wet clutch pack, very similar to an automatic except the plates are all metal and don't have any lining on the faces.

I also thought about using a NS (non-limited slip) type gear oil such as Redline Synthetic's 75w90 NS gear oil but the gear wear that I've seen shows that the oil is being sheered out from in between the gears when they are heavily loaded, such as during those wild clutch dumps or when the oil thins out too much, such as when someone is during extended track times on their EVO and aren't performing necessary oil changes on the driveline.

For long term life of the transfer case it would probably be best to run an oil that offers the highest film strength yet meets the viscosity index for the speeds and heat the gears are running at.

As for the effectiveness of that clutch pack I'm sure it won't be long before someone has the electronics side of things worked out to allow for all the lock-up one would need.

Jon @TRE

Last edited by GEARS; Jan 4, 2007 at 08:55 AM.