Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO VIII Upgrade Questions for Veteran Mitsubishi Owners

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2003, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VIII Upgrade Questions for Veteran Mitsubishi Owners

Hey all,

I have some questions for you. I have owned a Supra twin turbo in the past so I have some experience with turbo cars, but I just purchased a new EVO VIII so I am new to Mitsubishis. I really need some background information from some of you veteran Mitsubishi guys.

1. Here is my planned upgrade path:
2. Turbo Timer: Either HKS or Blitz
3. Intake kit: Either Buscher Racing or Millen
4. Aftermarket Blow Off Valve
5. Electronic Boost Controller: Either Greddy Profec, HKS or Apex’i
6. Apex’i SAFC
7. Turbo Down-pipe: Either Buscher Racing or Millen
8. High Flow Cat or Cat Delete Pipe: Either Buscher Racing or Millen
9. Cat Back Exhaust: Haven’t decided yet.
10. Intercooler hard-pipe kit: Either Buscher Racing or Millen
11. Header

Maybe someday……
Bigger single turbo & Bigger FMIC

First question: I would like to add an aftermarket Blow Off Valve kit to my EVO VIII. I like the HKS Super Sequential BOV, but I have read posts of people having problems with them. Is there a bolt on kit out for the US EVO that will give that signature Blow Off Valve sound , but will not cause the car to bog or die at low RPMs? I love that BOV sound and it is very intimidating on the street, but I don’t want to upset the everyday drivability of the car. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Second question: Turbo Timer
Does anyone make a bolt in turbo timer kit for the US EVO VIII, meaning with Field’s Harness so you don’t have to cut the factory wire harness? I like the HKS and Blitz ones, but I hate to have to cut the factory wire harness on a brand new car.

Third question: Electronic Boost Controller
Does anyone make a bolt in electronic boost controller kit for the US EVO yet, meaning with Field’s Harness so you don’t have to cut the factory harness? I like the Greddy Profec B and HKS EVC, but again, I really don’t want to have to cut into the factory wire harness. Also, will the engine ECU try to overcome your electronic boost controller. I know with Supras, it wouldn’t, but I’m new to Mitsubishis.

Fourth Question: Apex’i SAFC
Have any of you installed an Apex’i SAFC yet? Does it really help? I am only planning on adding a couple of pounds of boost above the factory settings because reliability is very important to me.

Fifth question:
Do Mitsubishi’s need a boost cut controller, meaning after you get past the factory boost levels, will the engine ECU try to control boost by cutting engine power (similar to rev limiter). I know this was an issue with Supras so I want to know if Mitsubishi has the same problems.

Sorry for all the questions, but these are some important questions that I’m sure other owners would like to know about. Again, thank you very much for any input any of you have.

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2003, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

1st: If there was a VTA BOV that didn't cause idle problems everyone would be using it. Not everyone is getting the stumbling but a lot.

2nd: Use the 2G harness

I would search for the rest. These have been discussed many times and there's too much info out there to retype. Grab a beer and take a seat and start reading. Lots of good stuff on this forum.

Where in Indiana do you live?
Old May 30, 2003, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

HKS's vent to air BOV is fine if you have some type of fuel computer. Most fuel computers have a setting for compensation for VTA BOV's on Evo's.

Timer. Use 1995 to 1999 Eclipse turbo harness. Same clips.

No crazy electronics on this car. Any manual or electronic boost controller will work. Just bypass the stock boost solenoid.

I have the Apex'i SAFC2 in my car. Works wonderful. I'd recommend it. It will keep the car from stalling when using a VTA blow off valve, and also allows you to lean the car out to make it more powerful. It does more for this car than for most other cars, because from the factory, they run super rich.

Boost cut is at around 24 to 26psi on these cars. Stock turbo is maxed out before that. U can make the turbo hit boost cut, but even before that, you're not making any more power. Also, with the SAFC, you can play with the maps enough to give U more room before boost cut. Not something I'd worry about unless you plan on going ***** out with this car.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old May 30, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

A few additional notes from one former mkiv owner to another.

The EBC isn't going to net a whole lot since the car runs about as much as the turbo can efficiently flow anyways. The only real useful benefits are faster spool and to hold the 19 psi to higher rpm.
Engine management and a catback make nice gains but the DP doesn't do much without further mods.

The engine management on the EVO8 is designed to work from 88 to 97 octane and as such the knock detection/correction, timing and air/fuel numbers need a LOT of work. Much is to be gained from that. I am told that the EVO's only make 180 whp because the 271 crank hp number quoted was made on japanese gas (~97 octane). You can get almost all of it back (>300 crank hp) but much of it is in tuning.

So in effect,
1. fuel/timing control (mkiv's don't need much ignition advance work but the EVO's make a lot of extra midrange from it)
2. catback
3. filter
4. DP and cat delete (it will become handy down the road, but you will lose very low rpm grunt ie., less than 2k rpm)

The intercooler and piping is useful as well.

BTW, the Mitsu MAF system responds poorly to BOV's. If you recirculate them, you can have trouble with it messing the MAF signal up. If it vents to atmo, it will run rich and just be a real pain to drive. Be careful when selecting a BOV and be sure to recirculate it.

Basic TT kits don't need to cut the harness, but if you want all the extra features, you will need to. I believe Fields makes a harness for the EVO but I don't know of anyone importing it yet. The basic EBC's shouldn't need to touch the factory harness whatsoever, again unless doing extra things (rpm dependent stuff, etc.).
Fuel cut is at very high pressure levels so no need for that.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old May 30, 2003, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Incognito
HKS's vent to air BOV is fine if you have some type of fuel computer. Most fuel computers have a setting for compensation for VTA BOV's on Evo's.

Timer. Use 1995 to 1999 Eclipse turbo harness. Same clips.

No crazy electronics on this car. Any manual or electronic boost controller will work. Just bypass the stock boost solenoid.

I have the Apex'i SAFC2 in my car. Works wonderful. I'd recommend it. It will keep the car from stalling when using a VTA blow off valve, and also allows you to lean the car out to make it more powerful. It does more for this car than for most other cars, because from the factory, they run super rich.

Boost cut is at around 24 to 26psi on these cars. Stock turbo is maxed out before that. U can make the turbo hit boost cut, but even before that, you're not making any more power. Also, with the SAFC, you can play with the maps enough to give U more room before boost cut. Not something I'd worry about unless you plan on going ***** out with this car.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
I'm installing a boost gauge and an EGT gauge first. I was thinking my next mods would be the 3" cat back & the e-manage (possibly the e-01 as well) what do you think my power gains are likely to be? I sure would like to close the 29 hp gap with the STi
Old May 31, 2003, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

With the mods I have now, I'm sure I'm over 300hp to the wheels. Even before I did exhaust work (just 2.5" test pipe), I was making 286hp to the wheels, which is more than 300 flywheel HP, which would be more than the STi.

I think you should just do the same exact mods I have on my car, because my car feels pretty damn good
Old May 31, 2003, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

With the mods I have now, I'm sure I'm over 300hp to the wheels. Even before I did exhaust work (just 2.5" test pipe), I was making 286hp to the wheels, which is more than 300 flywheel HP, which would be more than the STi.

I think you should just do the same exact mods I have on my car, because my car feels pretty damn good
OK, the HKS Timer is probably not a factor at all in the power increase.
The SSQBOV is a blow off valve, but I'm not sure of the rest of the acronym, can you explain what SSQBOV is?
The Hallman MBC makes sense, I guess any MBC would do, what boost are you running?
The SAFC2 is something I'm looking at too, would I need to go to a dyno to tune it? I hear that some vendors will provide you with appropriate settings....
K&N sounds good too, what is the FIPK?

Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2003, 03:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I worked with www.skunk2.com about arranging to import the Field harness.. its field part# CN-4 (or CN-04) Just spoke with them earlier this past week, should have a few in about 10 days, their selling them for $170 each.. I am working on fabricating my own harness and have all the part numbers and supplies to build it.. But buying parts for building production harnesses is 8 weeks fro most parts and 18 weeks for the one most important part.. But domestic fabrication of these harnesses will mean its cheaper than importing them... but if you need it right now.. Call Skunk2.. tell them I (Jack) sent you.. ask for the Evo harness and give them the part# CN-4
Old Jun 1, 2003, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

SSQBOV = Super Sequential Blow Off Valve.

I run 20psi. Sometimes 21psi, but it drops back down to 20.

Dyno tuning the SAFC would be nice, but most vendors will give you settings with it, which will make your car run better than if you were to tune it yourself on the street.

The FIPK is the name of the K&N kit that bolts up to our cars. I'm actually using the kit for the 3000GT and '95+ Eclipse turbo.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

hey maxboost pm me ! i'll get ya screaming deals on a package purchase. i can get what you need. sorry to be so brief but im so tied up right now and would like to talk more with you ! thanks.

Last edited by DRC Imports; Jun 2, 2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

SSQBOV = Super Sequential Blow Off Valve.

Dyno tuning the SAFC would be nice, but most vendors will give you settings with it, which will make your car run better than if you were to tune it yourself on the street.

The FIPK is the name of the K&N kit that bolts up to our cars. I'm actually using the kit for the 3000GT and '95+ Eclipse turbo.
Thank you very much, I appreciate your help and explanations.

I'm now leaning toward the Vishnu XEDE and a 3" catback... I was really thinking about the emanage with the e0-1, but if the XEDE does as Shiv claims (fuel, timing and boost control), it would seem to be easier and simpler to install, also, the price ($799?) does not seem quite so high... It's still very pricey, but even the SFAC plus an EBC of some kind will end up costing about as much.... The emanage with the e0-1 plus dyno time will cost several hundred more I know an exhaust manufacturer in Miami, VRS Exhaust, who offers a 3" SS cat back with a pre muffler and a Dynaflow muffler for $499 plus shipping.

I would go with the K&N, XEDE and catback... Possibly the SSQBOV as well.

What do you think of these mods?

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jun 1, 2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

MaxBoost...where in Indiana are you from??
Old Jun 4, 2003, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help and explanations.

I'm now leaning toward the Vishnu XEDE and a 3" catback... I was really thinking about the emanage with the e0-1, but if the XEDE does as Shiv claims (fuel, timing and boost control), it would seem to be easier and simpler to install, also, the price ($799?) does not seem quite so high... It's still very pricey, but even the SFAC plus an EBC of some kind will end up costing about as much.... The emanage with the e0-1 plus dyno time will cost several hundred more I know an exhaust manufacturer in Miami, VRS Exhaust, who offers a 3" SS cat back with a pre muffler and a Dynaflow muffler for $499 plus shipping.

I would go with the K&N, XEDE and catback... Possibly the SSQBOV as well.

What do you think of these mods?
I have the Ultimate Racing turbo back exhaust on my car. I like it a lot, and you probably will too. Look into it. Sounds good, not loud, and doesn't have that low ton that puts U to sleep on the highway.

I too may go with a different computer setup. I guess it depends on how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend. I really don't have much money into the car right now, and it's running mid 12's. If you're looking to go ***** out, then you definitely need something that does timing and all that good stuff.

If you're doing boost controller, definitely get a blow off valve. The stock one sucks, and will suck even more as U boost higher. I would say that I'd recommend my exact setup, because I've tried it and it works. I'm sure others out there work too, but I can't recommend something I haven't used personally.

Good luck
Old Jun 4, 2003, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

you might want to be carefull running 20 to 21 PSi on these EVO's, to the best of my knowledge, a 16G shouldn't be run much hight than 19psi, which is accatually what it come set at.

if your running that at just the track, than I guess you shouldn't worry, but I personally would not drive everyday above 19 psi with a 16G in my car

Quick Reply: EVO VIII Upgrade Questions for Veteran Mitsubishi Owners