Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mobil 1 to Royal purple

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline is the ish
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

how about the greddy oil??http://www.greddy.com/home/?id=200
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Royal Purple Info

As you may know, RP is big in racing circles. The chemistry they use is something we choose not to use. One of our big selling points is extended drain intervals. Some additive chemicals can cause adverse conditions when used for long periods.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Moly in their oil. Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear.

Moly (Molybdenum Disulfide) is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on RP involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate. This compares to TRO with a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the TRO left a .41mm scar and the RP oil left a .66mm scar. There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

This information was provided by AMSOIL Tech Department. They had an independent lab test Royal Purple against AMSOIL. The results are posted above. They have found Moly in Royal Purple. As stated above, this can have negative effects on your engine.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
Account Disabled

Mobil 1 burns under heavy driving conditions...i dont beat my car at all and its already starting to burn after only 2k.. Redline is the choice for me..
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:13 PM

royal purple and redline are great ive ran them in all my cars
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Royal Purple Info

As you may know, RP is big in racing circles. The chemistry they use is something we choose not to use. One of our big selling points is extended drain intervals. Some additive chemicals can cause adverse conditions when used for long periods.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Moly in their oil. Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear.

Moly (Molybdenum Disulfide) is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on RP involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate. This compares to TRO with a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the TRO left a .41mm scar and the RP oil left a .66mm scar. There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

This information was provided by AMSOIL Tech Department. They had an independent lab test Royal Purple against AMSOIL. The results are posted above. They have found Moly in Royal Purple. As stated above, this can have negative effects on your engine.
"The only test we ran on RP involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO)."
"This information was provided by AMSOIL Tech Department. "
did this tell you something?
i bet if the RP lab does the same test vs AMSOIL the out come would be different.

RP and RL
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Synthetic motor oils have been made from the following classes of lubricants:

* Polyalphaolefin (PAO) = API (American Petroleum Institute) Group IV base oil
* Synthetic esters, etc = API Group V base oils (non-PAO synthetics, including diesters, polyolesters, alklylated napthlenes, alkyklated benzenes, etc.)
* Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Mobil, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high quality lubricating oil. In 2005 production of GTL (Gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began. The best of these perform much like polyalphaolefin. Motor oils formulated with Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil in North America.
Mobil 1 used to be Group IV. Mobil sued Castrol for calling its Group III oil synthetic, and lost that suit. Since they couldn't beat them, they may have joined them -- Mobil 1 is now believed to be Group III-based, but Exxon Mobil refuses to disclose its bases except to say that it "contains" PAO.

Group IV oils are still available but they cost a lot more and don't really perform any better than Group III for any but the most demanding applications.

Last edited by Slowride; Feb 25, 2007 at 08:00 AM. Reason: clarification/correction re: M1
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:32 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
"I love these statements that have no backing" i dont see your backing either...
i don't want to go again over this one. lets say, i used both...
also i used redline too.
"manufacturers only recommend Mobil 1 "
manufacturers recommend them, because they have contract with them....

plane and simple.
First off, it's 'plain and simple' not 'plane and simple.' Secondly, my backing is right there in my first statement stating that both oils have the same amount of hydrocarbons. Why pay more for an oil that will do the same exact job a lesser priced oil can do? Lastly, manufacturers will NOT just contract any oil company to lubricate their motors. The manufacturers that know that their cars are going to be driven hard make sure to provide the proper oil. To say that they only recommend them because of contractual issues, is dumb.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BBS
First off, it's 'plain and simple' not 'plane and simple.' Secondly, my backing is right there in my first statement stating that both oils have the same amount of hydrocarbons. Why pay more for an oil that will do the same exact job a lesser priced oil can do? Lastly, manufacturers will NOT just contract any oil company to lubricate their motors. The manufacturers that know that their cars are going to be driven hard make sure to provide the proper oil. To say that they only recommend them because of contractual issues, is dumb.
^^^
Old Feb 25, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
so whats the point in changing oils?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Royal purple all the way
Old Feb 25, 2007, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vito1
Mobil 1 burns under heavy driving conditions...i dont beat my car at all and its already starting to burn after only 2k.. Redline is the choice for me..
According to whom and what test ? I have used Mobil 1 in a number of race engines and never had a problem...Furthermore it is recommended by top OEMs b/c it has been proven to be excellent and readily available.

This thread is full of non-fact based information (except the post that stated that most won't notice a difference)...
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Check out the Bob is the Oil Guy forum for more about motor oil than you probably want to know.

Mobil 1 vs. Royal Purple is not clear cut. Mobil 1 likely has some Group III base stock, but so do at least some of the Royal Purple oils. And Group IV/V isn't magic. An oil could be pure Group IV and still suck, or pure Group III and be great and a bargain.

The Bob consensus on Mobil 1 is that it's a good oil, but it's probably not the best value.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo150
Group 3 oils are not fully synthetic but highly refined conventional oil.
That's not true, and that's exactly what the courts determined when Mobil made the same case against Castrol. Group III stock is not just highly refined. The input is petroleum, but the process is chemical: the polymer chains are "cracked" into little pieces and re-joined into chains of the desired lengths. The resulting product performs more like a Group IV oil than a petroleum-based oil because longer-chain impurities like waxes are aren't present. Those impurities are what make refined oils so goopy at lower temperatures.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BBS
I love these statements that have no backing. Last research reported both had the same amount of hydrocarbons and M1 is still cheaper. Countless Car manufacturers only recommend Mobil 1 (BMW's M Division, Mercedes' AMG division.)
not bein a know it all d!ck.... BMW M Division uses castrol tws 10/60 for the s54 and up!

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 to Royal purple