Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mobil 1 to Royal purple

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec

CASTROL AND MOBIL GO TO BATTLE IN COURT:

What's the source of this article? URL?

Hydrocracking, as it's called, is the highest level of petroleum refining.
The process of producing a Group III base stock is hydrocracking/hydroisomerization. Both steps are chemical processes that change the feedstock chemically to create their product, unlike distillation which simply separates the feedstock into its already existing components.

Sounds like you're quoting AMSOIL propaganda...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

+1 Royal Purple
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Ive read all the comments and so will keep this short. i have a STI - 520HP and a Evo9 491Hp.

for stock cars M1 0-30 is the best oil to use. For moded cars with bigger power RP 10-40 racing is the best oil to use. The oil emps go up by 5deg C on RP but the added viscosity and surface tension/density prevents bearing failure compared to the thinner M1.

I have been mesing with M1 and RP for years so know them well. both are good but have different applications which suit them best. Using M1 in a 600hp car is not ideal! Same as using RP in a astock car...waste of money.

Adelin
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverNine
It really doesnt matter... you wont feel the difference in power(if theres any)... both oils are synthetic and both are good.. the only difference i think is that royal purple is a lil more expensive and its actually purple too... other than that it doesnt matter which one u use....
the difference is too minimal to notice
Old Mar 26, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Mobil 1 technically is not fully synthetic, however it is still a very good "synthetic" oil, and in my opinion it is better than Royal purple (Royal purple non racing oil isn't that good). In all the tests conducted, Amsoil seemed to perform a little better than Mobil 1 (did way better than Royal Purple by far). I also noticed when using Royal Purple that I consumed oil *much* faster than when I used Mobil 1 or Amsoil (perhaps the flashpoint of Royal Purple is a little lower?). AMSOIL 10w30 turbo formulation FTW.
Interesting that you mention that. The cause of that is, the oil is so slick that it is slipping between the piston walls and the rings. Not that I'm all about RP. In fact most of the oils spoken of here are inferior to an oil that I have been researching over the last month. Like some, I noticed that Redline and RP have Molydelibdeum Sulfide. So, I started looking around for which one has more in its formulation(it's Redline). I mostly know about Moly D because we used it in the USAF on the F-16's (for wheel bearings as a grease) It's pretty slick stuff. Anyway, more reseaching going with what I know started looking into Jet lubrication stuffs ect... Turns out the is a company that named AerospaceLubricants, I go on their site and they start claiming stuff like,"Better than any Synthetic." So I start looking to compare the tests that all oil companies use to prove themselves. One test they have to offer that seems to blow others out of the water in the Falex EP test, ASTM D-3233, which is a contact preasure test. This test is the one that really protects motors. Most 10W-30 synthetics are right around 3000 lbs where this oil comes in at about 4000 lbs for 10W-30.
So, I call this company up and start talking the a guy who starts telling me for starters that what they use is better than the Moly D. I try to be critical so that I can have him on the fence about the oil claims they are making, but the guy keeps coming back with all the right answers and data to back it up.(I'll try to attach it) As we are talking we start talking about oils and Viscosities ect... So I ask him what oil he runs in his personal car. He says, his oil, but not the 10W-30. He uses the 0W. All I could do was laugh at that point. He proceeds to tell me that I can too, and tells me how. I have receipts from Honda R&D that show them ordering 300 gallons at a time along with other info. I'll try to post the info soon. It's kind of a ramble once again, but its the truth. http://www.aerospacelubricants.com/a...e/default.html

Last edited by SWOLN; Mar 26, 2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 04:19 PM
Account Disabled

Red line oil baby... thats what im using and its great.it doesnt burn after 2000 miles like that mobil 1 junk..
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.aerospacelubricants.com/f...%202%20tds.pdf

I have requested lots of info and will make it available to any one wanting it via email.

They sell various grades <<0W 10-30 and 15-40, also replacement for Gear lubes including the GL4 or GL5 series. They claim a reduction in heat for the gear lube of 45F, that is very significant. IF it is compatible with the AWD tranny as a direct replacement for DiaQueen, it might be worht it.

There have been a number of threads that compare synthetics including rear diff lube, in which the rear diff chatters when using the synthetic. I might surmise that the additvie package is insufficient to replace the high load fractions, which I beleive are like waxes. Not sure how or what the ALI is using

Runs about $8-10 quart for oil

I may try this oil in the crankcase on the next oil change. Not sure i want to be the guinea pig on a rather expensive AWD tranny tho'. I 'might toss some in the rear diff as it has synthetic in there now and shudders a little bit. At worst I will have to dump them both and replace them.

milburn
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

No worries, I'm going to be the guinea pig here too, but I'm going to test the 0W-20 in the motor as a daily driver 1st though. After I will be trying the 0W. Data is as follows:
http://www.brownbucket.com/buckets/jbrown/SF1.pdf

http://www.brownbucket.com/buckets/jbrown/SF2.pdf

http://www.brownbucket.com/buckets/jbrown/SF3.pdf

http://www.brownbucket.com/buckets/jbrown/SF4.pdf

There have been a number of threads that compare synthetics including rear diff lube, in which the rear diff chatters when using the synthetic. I might surmise that the additvie package is insufficient to replace the high load fractions, which I beleive are like waxes. Not sure how or what the ALI is using
Please note their oil IS NOT compatable with the rear diff, nor the TC ! When I talked to Scott, he specifically asked if there were any Pinion, Worm, or Hypoid gears within the transmission, which there are not. There are in the TC.

Last edited by SWOLN; Mar 26, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

A bit off topic but I realized today that I've been running Mobil1 5W30 for the past 2,500 miles. I ran the car at test and tune half day in a short road course and did many, many pulls before that to get the tune a little better. This was in north-central Florida where it was fairly warm, low 80s i the day and high 40s at night. Do you think any damage was done? Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by subaruwrx420
A bit off topic but I realized today that I've been running Mobil1 5W30 for the past 2,500 miles. I ran the car at test and tune half day in a short road course and did many, many pulls before that to get the tune a little better. This was in north-central Florida where it was fairly warm, low 80s i the day and high 40s at night. Do you think any damage was done? Thanks.
no damage don't worry
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

I've owned a couple of evos and I really liked how Royal Purple's Racing 21 performed in both of them... I also heard that amsoil is really good...
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Synergyn Full Synthetic Oil 5w30. API Classifications: CD, CC, SJ, SH, SG (Turbo Approved)

http://www.nelsonmotorsports.com/synoilshp.php#p1

Motul 5w30 100% Synthetic - Ester based

http://turbofrogperformance.com/Prod..._LL01_5w30.htm

ELF HTX 830
http://www.elfoil.com.au/products/pr...me=ELF_HTX_830
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

^^I used to run Motul 300V 5W30 on my Subaru. Awesome stuff, I sent in my oil for analysis several times and the results always came back great. No plans to run it on the Evo though because with the amount of miles I drive it gets pretty expensive, costs about $22 per two litre can.

stikillller...thanks man, I was getting worried there.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we LOVE motul and Royal P..

our race tech dynoed all kinds of oil in an open wheel car... mobil 1 did the worst for power... lucas the best, RP right behind it with better protection..

we like rp and motul alot...

cb
Old Mar 26, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

our race tech dynoed all kinds of oil in an open wheel car.
Interesting that you mention open wheel. This is the latest of emails I have had with Scott at Aerospace Lubricants.

Scott,

Hey just a wanted to say thanks for your previous response. I can wait to try out the new oil. I have a question, as always. Is there a transmission oil that you can recommend that is compatible with a Mitsubishi Evolution IX transmission? I believe its uses a GL4 type oil. I have also heard from reading the forums on the Evo that a GL4/5 is not recommended. Something about the sulfur, and the brass synchros having issues with each other. Maybe you'll have some ideas.

Thanks again
SWOLN

Scott Stukenberg

Mar 22 (4 days ago)

We don’t use sulfur in any of our gear oils.

Not sure what weight GL4 is. As long as there are no pinion worm or hypoid gear in the transmission you should have no problems with our <<0 weight in the trans.

Talk about increase in hp!

scott

Mar 23 (3 days ago)
Scott,

You're really frightening me now Scott. The oil weight is a 75W-90.

SWOLN
On 3/22/07, Scott Stukenberg wrote:

Chicken

I’d have to see a cutaway of the tranny but I’ll bet……..

We have 1500 hp I/O off shore race boats with <<0 in the outdrives instead of 75W-90

DEI, Robbie Gordon JR, Mcglynn Racing and every 2005 & 2006 Honda IRL Cars had <<0 weight in the transmissions.

Scott

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 to Royal purple