Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Maxing out the stock turbo on pump - need your input on UICP & Stock Intake Box

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxing out the stock turbo on pump - need your input on UICP & Stock Intake Box

Goal: max stock turbo on pump gas, while keeping the car pleasant for every day driving.

So far, I ordered a FR Manifold & injectors. Trying to decide if I can do something about improving intake restrictions and intercooler piping

One option is to say f.ck it and just get an injen intake with an UICP. However, I prefer engine/exhaust noise to intake, so I am also thinking of getting an UICP that will fit around the stock intake box.

I am also pondering about cutting part of the top of the stock intake box to see if I can decrease the pressure drop caused by the stock intake box while keeping sound levels at reasonable levels & keeping the snorkel feeding cold air to the filter at higher speeds.

Questions:
  • Do you guys know of any UICP that fits with the stock intake?
  • If you have done the stock airbox mod, did you experience and increase in performance or sound?

TIA!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you controlling boost via the custom flash and the stock solenoid, or do you have an EBC/MBC, and just forgot to include it in your mod list?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:58 PM

I believe the greddy and injen fit with the stock air box
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

custom flash with the stock solenoid. I will talk to the mapper to see if he needs to use an EBC for better results. Before talking to him though I want to have a good idea on what I want done / which parts etc.

Originally Posted by sparky
Are you controlling boost via the custom flash and the stock solenoid, or do you have an EBC/MBC, and just forgot to include it in your mod list?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Send the injectors back, you dont need them.

Get a good upper IC pipe without a lot of bends. I wouldnt waste my time with Injen.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

what is your setup? I actually do not need to sent anything back. the shop where I get my stuff done has bought bunch of parts to try on race cars - fr, indivia and tomei manifolds, various intakes, intercoolers and 20g based turbos. My mapper said I could try anything I want and keep it if I like it.

As for the injectors - next time around, I will definitely be pushing 420bhp (130+ whp over stock baseline) so I might get the injectors for safety. I will do some more research and measure my IDC's

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Send the injectors back, you dont need them.

Get a good upper IC pipe without a lot of bends. I wouldnt waste my time with Injen.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bosshog
what is your setup? I actually do not need to sent anything back. the shop where I get my stuff done has bought bunch of parts to try on race cars - fr, indivia and tomei manifolds, various intakes, intercoolers and 20g based turbos. My mapper said I could try anything I want and keep it if I like it.

As for the injectors - next time around, I will definitely be pushing 420bhp (130+ whp over stock baseline) so I might get the injectors for safety. I will do some more research and measure my IDC's

I am full bolt-on, dynoflash custom tuned, walboro, hallman mbc. You dont need the injectors for safety but I mean its not going to hurt you so if you want them for the hell of it, go for it, its just that they are not needed. I was maxxing out my injectors but I also have one if not the highest pump gas/stock turbo dyno.

BTW full bolt on means full exhaust, mani, 02 cams, fmic, piping, intake yada. Nothing crazy or unexpected.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

I am right there with you on the highest pump gas stock turbo numbers and i was even on the 9.8 hotside, stock outlet, stock manifold. 361whp/369wtq Stock injectors they were maxxed 98%

I only street tuned the car and the first pull on the dyno killed the stock clutch. I know i left a lot on the table the AFR's were in the 10's. We will never know cause i have swapped the turbo out for the 20GLT. For dyno reff numbers a GT35R on pump put down 380whp/350wtq on pump.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spaceball 1
I am right there with you on the highest pump gas stock turbo numbers and i was even on the 9.8 hotside, stock outlet, stock manifold. 361whp/369wtq Stock injectors they were maxxed 98%

I only street tuned the car and the first pull on the dyno killed the stock clutch. I know i left a lot on the table the AFR's were in the 10's. We will never know cause i have swapped the turbo out for the 20GLT. For dyno reff numbers a GT35R on pump put down 380whp/350wtq on pump.
Oddly enough, when I put down the 378whp, my injectors were maxxed out, however, I was running pretty lean so Im sure they would have been maxxed before it.

Did you ever run at the track with your 361whp stock turbo setup?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Oddly enough, when I put down the 378whp, my injectors were maxxed out, however, I was running pretty lean so Im sure they would have been maxxed before it.

Did you ever run at the track with your 361whp stock turbo setup?
What did you have to put down close to 380 whp? That seems like a ton of power for an 8 on 93 octane....I wish I could get that with just 93 on my 9 ....
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

he already put his mods: custom tune, walboro, hallman mbc, full exhaust, mani, 02 cams, fmic, piping, intake. I am planning on doing pretty much the same. Gonna drop the car in the shop this week to get the injen intake + UICP putin to see if I can handle the noise in day-to-day driving.

Something of interest for people looking at manifolds: My friend (who also maps my car) is doing a manifold test within the next two weeks on a evo race car (they are trying full race, invidia and tomei) I will post the findings once the test is completed.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bosshog
he already put his mods: custom tune, walboro, hallman mbc, full exhaust, mani, 02 cams, fmic, piping, intake. I am planning on doing pretty much the same. Gonna drop the car in the shop this week to get the injen intake + UICP putin to see if I can handle the noise in day-to-day driving.

Something of interest for people looking at manifolds: My friend (who also maps my car) is doing a manifold test within the next two weeks on a evo race car (they are trying full race, invidia and tomei) I will post the findings once the test is completed.
Must be a really high reading dyno....
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cij911
Must be a really high reading dyno....

I wouldn't think so - he put down 378whp then went on to trap 118... sounds right to me...
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

thats because it is bhp and not whp. the local dyno reads ver low whp figures - lower than dyno dynamics and mustang dynos you guys have over there. we tested a 3 stock 9s to put down 205whp, which is estimated at 280bhp. at this power level my car could go head to head with m3s if not faster. last time, I put down 310+whp (estimated at 395bhp). after this set of mods, I am hoping for 330+whp
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

118mph trap should be around 420+bhp. similar power / trap speed to a Porsche 996TT

Originally Posted by mudduck
I wouldn't think so - he put down 378whp then went on to trap 118... sounds right to me...