Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ultimate Racing HKS Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve Kit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Racing HKS Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve Kit

Hey all,

I have some questions. So I am considering purchasing the entire Ultimate Racing Stage 1 Plus Kit plus their HKS Super Sequential Blow Off Valve kit for my Evo VIII. So this would include:
- Ultimate Racing 3" Stainless Steel Turbo-Back Exhaust System
- Ultimate Racing Pre-Programmed HKS Super AFR
- Ultimate Racing Pre-Set Turbo Smart Manual Boost Controller
- K&N High-Flow Panel Filter
- Ultimate Racing HKS Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve Kit

I was wondering if there is anyone else on this forum that is running this exact setup? If so, what are your impressions of the kit (quality, fit & finish, good instructions, everyday driving and reliability, any negative impacts on the car)? Does anyone have dyno data from an AWD dyno with this kit? If so, what kind of numbers have you gotten (horsepower/torque)? Has anyone gotten any 0-60 mph and ¼ times with an EVO equipped with this kit? Ultimate Racing claims 12.50s in the ¼ with their car, but I was wondering if there was anyone else that had some additional data. Finally, what are everyone’s impressions of this kit and of Ultimate Racing in general? I’m trying to decide if I want to go ahead and purchase this entire kit or wait until companies like HKS and Greddy come out with their products for the Evo VIII. This is a big concern of mine. Any help, comments or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2003, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

I just bought their 3" turbo back exhaust , its the best one Ive seen... and they have great customer service, just talk to DARYL. I should have about the same set-up once I get everything installed (basically Ive been following their blueprint).

-shahul
Old Jun 18, 2003, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

i think the stage 1 plus is a nice setup. this is the route i will go to complete my setup. of course i'll be doing it bit by bit.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

I just have Ultimate's dp and straight pipe installed and I really like the way the dp was constructed. My main concerns prior to buying the dp were the two lower tie bars and no cel (check engine light) when running a test pipe. I needed a bolt on piece that will clear the bars without modifying it and of course, a 3"dp is a must. Well, guess what, Ultimate guarantees their product that it will be a straight fit and no cel once the test pipe is installed. I installed the dp and straight pipe and I tell yah, couldn't be happier than before. The kit was great and was very precise as far as fit is concern. Love the power gains too. Just my 2 pennies.

Oh btw... incognito here on the boards is also equipped with ultimate stuff. I believe he ran like 12.4 or something and it may have gotten lower now. Sorry, i'm more into road racing stuff.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Hi. I have the UR setup (SAFC2 instead of the HKS Super AFR).
My car went 12.41 at 109.5mph. I've also hit 12.42 at 109.8mph.
There's definitely more power to be found with just this setup. My car was actually running some weird A/F ratios for those runs (I found out afterwards). Going to tune the car again soon and try to crack better numbers. I'm sure it'll run 110+mph, and under 12.4. As far as power, the UR products get the job done.

Everything fits real well too. The down pipe clears the oil pan, has a flex pipe, and also clears both stock tie bars underneath the car. Installation is very straight forward also. Did everything underneath with a jack (yes, ONE jack).
Old Jun 19, 2003, 09:14 PM
In Timeout

hey what do yall think they will say at the mitsu dealership for having a test pipe?
Old Jun 21, 2003, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My question is, why is everyone so hot on the HKS BOVs.
SCC did a pretty comprehensive test of 37 BOV/DV an the rated the HKS very poorly. It did not do a very good job of controlling surge initially on throttle closed.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 08:36 AM

They might've just gotten a lemon. HKS bov is used pretty widely both in both US and JDM land. On the other hand, i heard more horror stories with blitz leaking boost and greddy doing the same. Perhaps just the luck of drawing the straw.

my .02