Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4 bolt to 5 bolt turbo hotside difference's?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StyleFront
I don't suppose it's worth pointing out to you that there was a change in A/R.
And that is exactly my point. I'll stick with the smaller turbine housing. Switching to a housing that is supposed to flow better and increasing the turbine size, I expected the gains to be much more significant. Gaining ~4% in power and increasing lag isn't worth it, I expected the gains to be much more significant.
Old May 21, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shearer
And that is exactly my point. I'll stick with the smaller turbine housing. Switching to a housing that is supposed to flow better and increasing the turbine size, I expected the gains to be much more significant. Gaining ~4% in power and increasing lag isn't worth it, I expected the gains to be much more significant.
Other back to back tests have shown similar results, 30-40hp difference with no changes other than A/R however that is neither here nor there regarding 4 bolt vs 5 bolt. I trust you know your stuff, but it sounds to me, the results you found can not definitively say which flows more, or spools faster.
Old May 22, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Shearer
Gotcha. Just as an alternative view to this, for somebody looking to maximize a setup, that is still 20 HP gained. If the losses happen out side of the RPM range where you actually drive the car when racing then the added lag is of little consequence.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Gotcha. Just as an alternative view to this, for somebody looking to maximize a setup, that is still 20 HP gained. If the losses happen out side of the RPM range where you actually drive the car when racing then the added lag is of little consequence.
First car made 640 and in second config made 667, I counted a 27hp gain.