Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

To coat or not to coat, that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Where'd you find the 2000* paint? I could only find 1200* @ Kragen. Anyway, it does look nice

I will be starting a thread soon about my EvoGreen journey. I even got my Nisei Competition intercooler coated with the heat-emitting coating. Now it's stealth black. Looks P.I.M.P.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; May 24, 2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old May 24, 2007, 05:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can find the 2000* vht flameproof ceramic paint at O'Reilly's. If they don't have it in stock then they can order it. It comes in flat black and grey. Yeah the thermal dispersants are pretty darn cool. My AMS front mount is currently being treated as well.
Old May 24, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id say go for it...since your mani is used and already been heat cycled I dont think you will any problems with the coating flaking and falling off. Just make sure you go with a reputable company and the coating is rated at 1700* F or higher...
Old May 24, 2007, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

I like performance coatings (I got satin black). 8 months so far and no issues. I really wish I did a under hood temperature baseline but I never got around to it (lazy). FWIW I can hold my stock manifold longer after startup after getting the coating. That's my redneck temp test!

http://www.performancecoatings.com/headercoatings.html
Old May 25, 2007, 05:03 AM

Just think of it as the more heat you keep in the less that goes in your intake. but thats my $.02
Old May 25, 2007, 05:15 AM

Jet-Hot faded and did not hold up on a stainless tubular header. Performance coatings looked fantastic but also did not hold up, again on stainless. From my experience once the coating gets bumped, banged or scratched it looks bad.

I have considered trying Swain with a hi-temp top coat for color but so far I have not taken the plunge.

You Swain folks... how does it hold up to the eventual ding or nick?
Old May 25, 2007, 06:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From my experience with handling the Swain coated items I have installed rugged is an understatement when describing this stuff. At one point while setting everything up to be sprayed with the black VHT ceramic the stock Swain coated manifold and ss 02 housing clanked up against each other at the flange of the o2 and underside of the mani. I think I screamed like a little girl for a brief second when it happened due to my experience with handling parts in the past on another member's car that had been coated by Performance Coatings. There wasn't even a scuff left one either of the parts where they contacted. OH and be careful with the Swain as it is very rough, like 100-200 grit sand paper rough, and won't hesitate to take skin right off with it if you bust a knuckle on it or something. Don't ask how I know
Old May 25, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, coating everything is a waste of money... Sure, it makes sense and should work in theory, but I don't think it makes any more power in the real world. Oh, and yes, I have a ported/coated exhaust mani - and yes, I burnt the sh*t out of my fingers on it after the car had been running for a few minutes...

The only people who MAY benefit will be those who track (RR) their cars extensively.

Sorry guys, I know everyone here wants the best for their cars, but I think that coating everything under the hood is low-yield. The money could be better spent on parts that are actually PROVEN to increase performance.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mudduck
IMO, coating everything is a waste of money... Sure, it makes sense and should work in theory, but I don't think it makes any more power in the real world. Oh, and yes, I have a ported/coated exhaust mani - and yes, I burnt the sh*t out of my fingers on it after the car had been running for a few minutes...
Was it a Swain coating? I am guessing it might not of been.

I have been under-impressed with the non-Swain coatings on my car. I have been over-mpressed with the Swain stuff.
Old May 25, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ nope... Hope you have better luck than me though.
Old May 25, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Go with SwainTech. Their White Lightning coat looks very promising. I had other parts coated by them before I had an Evo and it was way better than any other coating I had. No peeling, no bull****.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

i kinda like the extreme satin from jet hot. its goot to 1700 and its good looking
Old May 30, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Hey atlvalet, during a recent project I did the same thing. We had a PPI ported manifold and ss o2 housing coated with the Swain coating they use. I ended up using some black VHT 2000* flameproof ceramic paint over the Swain and it really came out nicely.
Funny you say that, I did the exact same thing to my manifold,o2 housing, and hotside. I couldnt stand the regular swaintech look.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

I have all exhaust parts (mani, t-housing, 02) all coated. Love it and would do it over again. If you dont like the way it looks, get a nice flat black coating. Looks great. The coating Buschur uses is that shiny stuff that flakes. Use Performancecoatings.com and their 2000*F coating.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

I used both Swain and PerformanceCoatings.com

Gray satin on ehaust mani and 02 heat shield

White Lightning on exhaust mani, hotside, and 02 housing.

Quick Reply: To coat or not to coat, that is the ?