Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

To coat or not to coat, that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dead - The idea of retaining the heat in the turbine is behind the rapid expansion and super cooling effect that you get on the other end. Colder air means denser air, denser air means more bang for the buck. Just don't go for the cheapest stuff out there and you will be fine. Remember people you get what you pay for and good car parts aren't cheap.
Old May 30, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we all agree that it works in theory but I have never seen any hard evidence that it increases power.
It would be great if someone did a before and after dyno test with coated vs non-coated parts. (If only I had the time and extra money, lol)
Old May 30, 2007, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dudical26
I think we all agree that it works in theory but I have never seen any hard evidence that it increases power.
It would be great if someone did a before and after dyno test with coated vs non-coated parts. (If only I had the time and extra money, lol)

I don't think it's only theory...it works in application (people notice, with Swain anyway) a decent drop in underhood temps. The $64,000 question is, how much horsepower does this translate to, if any?
Old May 31, 2007, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
ok so i bought a used for 5000 miles Full Race exhaust manifold and im not sure if i should coat it or not. i do not like the looks of a ceramic coating but will it be that much more benifical to coat it?

i know it will keep temps down under the hood, but i think i have herd that it can keep too much heat in and cause cracks. is this true? also know that turbos are more efficent when they are hot, so cooling the temps down too much may hurt?

anyone want to shed some light, people with expierences preferably. thanks.
what up dude? Coating on the exhaust manifold is going to keep the underhood temps down. The coating is gonna keep the heat in the manifold, where it should be. Allowing the turbo to run more efficiently, HOT exhaust flows better than COOLER exhaust.....Is it benificial?---Yes. Does it look like $#!T?---Yes. Will you notice a power gain?---Probally not. Will it crack?----Full-Race makes some of the Best stuff out there, I would say it probally won't. Would I do it?----NO, it looks to sweet not coated.
Old May 31, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

If you get a nice color coating, the coating looks great. A flat black on a tubular would look great. If I had a FR mani I would definitely do it.
Old May 31, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05 EVO RS
Is it benificial?---Yes. Will you notice a power gain?---Probally not.
Wait, so why are we doing so-called "performance" mods like this when they aren't shown to increase power?

I think the only benefit that may be realized would be likened to a race intercooler on a stock-turbo Evo - it will likely help to prevent heat-soak with sustained racing...

I doubt you'll benefit from all this coating for highway pulls, 1/4 mile times, etc...

If you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, I'm sure some of us on here can figure out a better way to spend it - towards parts proven to actually do something...
Old May 31, 2007, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

This is all conjecture and hearsay, however, until someone actually swaps all this stuff out, with similar pieces, back-to-back on a dyno.
Old May 31, 2007, 03:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The Swain White Lightening is real "chunks" of ceramic material, not ceramic (dust) paint like most places use. Mitsuorder was not kidding as this crap can take flesh off of your body if you are foolish/haphazard around it (ask me how I know). This stuff will NOT "flake" off. It has to be broken. I've only seen it once with a mis-placed hammer blow by the owner. It was a 2 lb hammer and the stuff cracked. It then still didn't flake off. A few "chips" did come off though. I don't know how the owner faired down the road.

I know a lot of internet jockeys are/will regurgitate their internet wit. However, if there were ever a "real deal", I'd say that's where its at. For the record, a lot you you guy's parts fly to you every day in planes still bearing my acid etched stamp. I do know a thing or two on the matter over all.
Old May 31, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

My plans involve Swain White Lightning on the exhaust manifold, turbine housing, upper intercooler piping, intake manifold, downpipe, and dumptubes.

It will all be painted black, since White Lightning makes a great base for paint.

Then Swain BBE thermal dispersant coating on the intercooler and lower intercooler piping.

Plus their Gold Coat and PC9 on the pistons..

But the idea is to keep as much heat in the exhaust, and out of the engine compartment until it's under the car. While keeping the air entering the engine as cool as possible. I'm not sure if it's going to make a huge difference, but in theory it should help. I've used a few company's when it comes to coating, and Swain seems to be head and shoulders above the rest.
Old May 31, 2007, 09:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frenchy4g63
My plans involve Swain White Lightning on the exhaust manifold, turbine housing, upper intercooler piping, intake manifold, downpipe, and dumptubes.

It will all be painted black, since White Lightning makes a great base for paint.

Then Swain BBE thermal dispersant coating on the intercooler and lower intercooler piping.

Plus their Gold Coat and PC9 on the pistons..

But the idea is to keep as much heat in the exhaust, and out of the engine compartment until it's under the car. While keeping the air entering the engine as cool as possible. I'm not sure if it's going to make a huge difference, but in theory it should help. I've used a few company's when it comes to coating, and Swain seems to be head and shoulders above the rest.
FYI, the intercooler with the black BBE looks awesome
Old Jun 1, 2007, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

so is Swain the way to go? i called Jethot and they quoted me like $170 for the coating. im not sure i can justify sending another $200+ on the coating and shipping to and from.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 05:32 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by atlvalet
FYI, the intercooler with the black BBE looks awesome
You are right on, the white lightning coating is not what you want on the i/c or piping. The BBE is the way to go as it helps pull heat out of the material.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.performancecoatings.com/

I get my stuff coated there. They will do the inside AND out of a manifold, downpipe, o2 whatever. If you ask them, they will tell you only coating the outside is worthless. They can even do flex sections and coat it on the inside and out.

They also have different colors.. black, gark grey (which I got on my downpipe), etc etc. Looks pretty good if you ask me and is good for 2000+ degree action.

BTW - it hasn't chipped or faded in Seattle weather for the past 2 years.

*edit* = my downpipe was only about $50 to coat too btw. I'm not sure how much a header would be but they price it by size.

Last edited by boostedwrx; Jun 3, 2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 08:42 PM
Former Sponsor

For the last time. Swain is superior to other coatings, plain and simple. That isn't to say the others are bad, but they don't compare. Performance Coatings coated both my heatshields. Swain did the rest.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nobody is mentioning HPC. I have used their HPC Extreme coating on my 1G DSM on the turbo exhaust housing,O2 housing and exhaust manifold(evo 3)

Read up and find out why HPC is the best out there..

http://www.hpcoatings.com/industries/auto.aspx#HI

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...k/IMG_1592.jpg

Last edited by PlanoEvo; Jun 3, 2007 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: To coat or not to coat, that is the ?