Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

To coat or not to coat, that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another option is using a turbo blanket or heat wrapping
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd recommend Cradin to anyone I cared about One of the last times I visited the family they were finishing up doing vibratory testing of replacement materials for beryllium for one of the nation's largest aerospace companies. Picking up my ams i/c from them in the next few days after treating it to some thermal dispersant goodness
Old Jun 4, 2007, 06:41 AM
Account Disabled

do it get it coated it looks great and works.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by manOfaith
You are right on, the white lightning coating is not what you want on the i/c or piping. The BBE is the way to go as it helps pull heat out of the material.
I think even the white lightning would be ok on the intercooler piping. It would keep heat out.

The engine bay is warmer then the air coming out of the intercooler (hopefully) so you're not going to be able to pull any more heat OUT of the intercooler piping, that's just how heat transfer works. The hope is that you will insulate the piping enough that the heat from the engine bay cannot conduct through the piping and into the intake air.

so basically, the rule of heat transfer say that energy allways goes from high to low. If you put an ice cube in a glass of room temperature water, the ice cube isn't cooling the water, the water is using its energy to melt the ice cube. And the result of that energy exchange is cooler water because there is now less energy in the water.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't have the cash to coat my i/c pipes when I got them so I ended wrapping them along with my intake pipe with Dei cool tape. Lower temperature coatings with a silver finish would do well in this application as they are designed to reflect heat along with providing a thermal barrier.

Originally Posted by Curt941
I think even the white lightning would be ok on the intercooler piping. It would keep heat out.

The engine bay is warmer then the air coming out of the intercooler (hopefully) so you're not going to be able to pull any more heat OUT of the intercooler piping, that's just how heat transfer works. The hope is that you will insulate the piping enough that the heat from the engine bay cannot conduct through the piping and into the intake air.

so basically, the rule of heat transfer say that energy allways goes from high to low. If you put an ice cube in a glass of room temperature water, the ice cube isn't cooling the water, the water is using its energy to melt the ice cube. And the result of that energy exchange is cooler water because there is now less energy in the water.