Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

To coat or not to coat, that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To coat or not to coat, that is the ?

ok so i bought a used for 5000 miles Full Race exhaust manifold and im not sure if i should coat it or not. i do not like the looks of a ceramic coating but will it be that much more benifical to coat it?

i know it will keep temps down under the hood, but i think i have herd that it can keep too much heat in and cause cracks. is this true? also know that turbos are more efficent when they are hot, so cooling the temps down too much may hurt?

anyone want to shed some light, people with expierences preferably. thanks.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

wow no one? was thinking jethot.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:11 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I say go for it, help keep under-hood temps down.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Swain Tech. It's not shiny, but it works.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Coating a turbo by no means keeps it "cool." There are no significant drawbacks to coating a manifold. I personally think it looks better too.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waste of money IMO.....I remember when a famous 300zx tuner would swain coat everthing. I really think even the heat retention benefits are negligible. If your going for the look or just want to say it's coated more power to you.

Last edited by Jasil; May 24, 2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sap12687
Coating a turbo by no means keeps it "cool." There are no significant drawbacks to coating a manifold. I personally think it looks better too.
who said anything about a turbo?

anyone like jethot? is that what David used on his full race on his RS? if so, which coating, there are like 8 different ones.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:35 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea, the point of the coating is to keep the heat in the exhaust gas, and not let it soak into the manifold. The more heat energy there is in the exhaust gas, the more power you get out of the turbo, plain and simple. How much of a power difference it makes, that is a different story.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Yea, the point of the coating is to keep the heat in the exhaust gas, and not let it soak into the manifold. The more heat energy there is in the exhaust gas, the more power you get out of the turbo, plain and simple. How much of a power difference it makes, that is a different story.
do they coat the inside?

ok so i think im going to get it coated, but now have to figure out where.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:00 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The silver coatings that I have seen and use are coated inside and out. Swain only coats the outisde. As someone else said the caoting is meant to keep the heat inside the exhaust and turbo....where the heat/energy can be used. It also helps keep underhood items/and air cooler.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
who said anything about a turbo?

Ummm, you did.
Old May 24, 2007, 02:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are looking to maximize the efficiency of your system then a proper coating will in fact do just that. Most with a negative stigma towards thermal coatings have had experiences limited to some of the lesser quality options out there. Unfortunately due to the budget pricing offered by the lower end coaters they are sometimes the more frequently used which only perpetuates the rumor mill.
Old May 24, 2007, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I say go for it. It'll help keep under hood temps low and prevent heat from spreading to other parts which hopefully should help with longevity. Increase in performance/power will tend to be low to neglegible. Price for performance the bang for buck might not be there. If a manifold is going to crack I doubt it will happen because of the Jethot 2000 coating. Remember to coat only the outer side of the parts, you don't want the coat flaking and going into the turbo = bad.

Also IMHO, turbos tend to run better when cool as the intake charge isn't heated as much, thus producing more power.
Old May 24, 2007, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I am looking to get the most out of my system, so I went with Swain Tech. I had the Buschur ported/coated manifold, and the coating is flaking off.

This time I went with SwainTech for the exhaust mani, turbine hotside, and 02 housing. I also didn't like the shiney white look, so I covered them with 1200 degree exhaust paint in black. Looks much better IMHO.

In order to combat temps even more, I had both the exhaust mani and 02 housing heatshields coated by performancecoatings.com

Coating will help keep the underhood temps down AND keep the heat in the turbo, where it's supposed to be.
Old May 24, 2007, 03:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey atlvalet, during a recent project I did the same thing. We had a PPI ported manifold and ss o2 housing coated with the Swain coating they use. I ended up using some black VHT 2000* flameproof ceramic paint over the Swain and it really came out nicely.

Quick Reply: To coat or not to coat, that is the ?