Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5th Gear Grinding

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5th Gear Grinding

I have a 06 IX with TBE. When I'm on the highway over 60 MPH my 5th gear makes a grinding noise. Normal street driving there is no grinding when going into fifth. Also there is no problem getting into gear. Is it my syncro or is it my stock clutch?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old May 29, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

well it all depends to you beat the shi* out of your car? launch it alot? is ur clutch slipping at all? that dont seem right for a 06 to be doing taht already! u havent accedently miss a gear real bad have ya? if so u could of screw up one of the gears and it could be hitting ur transmission case bc i rember on my 03 wen 5th was grinding it was hiting the inside of the case it left marks idk if i where u i would get that check if it keeps on happening! o yeah one more ? if u slide it into 5th easly does it still grind? make sure u have the clutch all the way ingaged
Old May 29, 2007, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoracingstar
well it all depends to you beat the shi* out of your car? launch it alot? is ur clutch slipping at all? that dont seem right for a 06 to be doing taht already! u havent accedently miss a gear real bad have ya? if so u could of screw up one of the gears and it could be hitting ur transmission case bc i rember on my 03 wen 5th was grinding it was hiting the inside of the case it left marks idk if i where u i would get that check if it keeps on happening! o yeah one more ? if u slide it into 5th easly does it still grind? make sure u have the clutch all the way ingaged
I've raced it a few times, launched it once, and clutched kicked my car a handful of times. U think it can be a weak clutch? Sometimes it grinds sometimes it doesn't. Only when I'm on the highway.
Old May 29, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a IX and had the same problem. Its a bad synchro which problably ruined your whole 5th gear. Mitsu replaced mine under the warranty. 3rd thru 5th sychros and a new 5th gear. Here is the thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=249557

It will be covered under the warranty. Just sucks that your car's tranny has to get opened up like mine.

My 5th gear is now perfect. I still get the clunking, notchy feeling in 3rd. Good luck
Old May 29, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

^^ I have had the fifth gear grind since i bought my IX and drove it the first week i had it. Since then i have just kinda dealed with the 5th gear grind. Although, the stock clutch finally gave out earlier this month, so i replaced it with a new ACT street clutch. For the first week i had the ACT clutch it was working well, but i still had the 5th gear grind. Unfourtanetly now, my reverse is toasted somehow, and it will not go into reverse. I would hope mitsu would cover my reverse/5th gear synchros under warranty, but i have a modified clutch now.......so what do all think? im stuck without a reverse gear!
Old May 29, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neuspeed06
^^ I have had the fifth gear grind since i bought my IX and drove it the first week i had it. Since then i have just kinda dealed with the 5th gear grind. Although, the stock clutch finally gave out earlier this month, so i replaced it with a new ACT street clutch. For the first week i had the ACT clutch it was working well, but i still had the 5th gear grind. Unfourtanetly now, my reverse is toasted somehow, and it will not go into reverse. I would hope mitsu would cover my reverse/5th gear synchros under warranty, but i have a modified clutch now.......so what do all think? im stuck without a reverse gear!
Maybe not screwed for the aftermarket clutch, but definitly for some of the mods in your sig! MBCs are a big no no. You would probably want to return some things back to stock. How many miles did you get on that clutch? What kind of driving do you do? Drag race much? Damn.....
Old May 29, 2007, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

^^ Stock clutch went out at 9k, had 400miles on the new ACT clutch before the reverse locked up. So an MBC voids the powertrain warranty? Mine is pretty hidden.
Old May 30, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

I have a question about synchros on the IX. Ive heard that the reverse gear is a straight gear and has no synchros, is this correct??? If so my reverse locked out wouldnt be the synchros then. Any help appreciated.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

I have a TBE should I take it off before going to the dealers?
Old May 30, 2007, 11:35 AM

Yup, Common on are cars...my 5th had that problem then 5th gave out on me while I was at the Redline time attack... then I took it to Robispec and now it's smooth and a stronger tranny.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:38 AM

well i have an 06 evo ix but i have a spec clutch and when i am on the highway it grinds when i through it to 5th gear
Old May 30, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

If you only have a 5-speed...it might be that you are shifting too soon...5th gear is a really tall gear...because it's basically overdrive for the highway...I always let the RPM fall a little around 3500 before shifting up to 5...maybe it's the right thing to do...or maybe my Trans is f%$k'd
Old May 30, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to take off my TBE and install my stock exhaust and take my car to the dealer. My car is a 06 with stock clutch it shouldn't have this kind of problem so soon.
Old May 30, 2007, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beemerfreak
I'm going to take off my TBE and install my stock exhaust and take my car to the dealer. My car is a 06 with stock clutch it shouldn't have this kind of problem so soon.
I had luck with my warranty claim. BUT...I have heard horror stories. Your exhaust cannot cause synchro and tranny problems. Probably don't have to take the exhaust off but it wouldn't hurt. The less they can point the finger at you abusing the car, the better. Mitsubishi knows about this grinding problem in thier trannys. It's BS that half the IX's on here have some sort of tranny/sychro/grinding issue (imo).

Quick Reply: 5th Gear Grinding