Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 ACT Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same noises here is normal......
Old Jun 17, 2007, 09:53 AM

Actman, yes foot off the clutch, said it backwards. :-)

Pck Evo, yes happens around 2k RPM, didn't even think of mentioning that.

The clutch performs flawlessly, no issues in that regards.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

damn really? and i mean right at 2K rpm, im wondering if thats just a sensitive vibration point on our cars. scares me when i hear it, at first i thought it might have been my DP, but it clears. So can anyone confirm that this is normal, or a serious problem? thanks
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:37 AM

From what I've heard, 4 cylinders engines have lots of vibration issues. I don't know exactly the issues with the Mitsu 2.0L as each engine is different, but with the stronger clutch it may be more noticable if the engine resonates at 2K RPM.

Right now I'm waiting to see what the dealer says when they take the tranny apart, I'll keep you posted.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

PcK EvO,
Keep in mind that on your more highly modified car the Prolite flywheel, cams, etc all increase the torsional vibrations. I wouldn't doubt that you have gear noise. Obviously I can't hear it, but with your mods, gear noise would be expected, no matter what clutch you use. If you had a solid center disc (or discs), the noise would really make you scared.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gonzo6150
From what I've heard, 4 cylinders engines have lots of vibration issues. I don't know exactly the issues with the Mitsu 2.0L as each engine is different, but with the stronger clutch it may be more noticable if the engine resonates at 2K RPM.
I have a book from SAE that talks fairly extensively about torsional vibration and you are correct about 4 cylinder engines. Also diesel engines, higher compression, hotter cams, turbocharged engines, etc all have increased torsional vibrations. If the same clutch was on a small block V8, the trans would probably be perfectly quiet. Clutch disc centers last a lot longer on V8 engines than they do on 4 cylinders for the same reason.

I know from experience that the Mitsu 2.0 with it's performance and light rotating mass has some pretty violent vibrations. I could tell you some pretty interesting stories about Brent Rau's DSM drag car and torsional vibrations and as a result just how difficult it is to keep parts attached to the crankshaft, LOL. I guess 60+ lbs of boost will do that!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

My ACT isn't noisey at all!?
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
My ACT isn't noisey at all!?
and you sir are in the same (MOD) boat as I. thats why i was thinking it wasnt a normal occurance......
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:07 PM

I've got an Exedy and does the same damn thing. It's good to know I'm not the only one and that it's a normal thing. For a while there I thought that I had messed up my clutch and pieces of it were somewhere in my tranny. It wasnt always this way untill recently, and I've had my clutch install almost a year ago. Thanks ACTman.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:37 PM

i have the act 6 puck mine is fine when Iam driving but when I take off it sounds horrible and is very loud. I have cams and a decent amount of mods though but its brand new about 9oo miles and hasnt even been launched yet.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting thread , Iam looking for a new clutch not b/c mine is wore-out but b/c the d@mn thing is to loud (exedy twin) . I would love if we could get a definitive anwser on what part of the clutch make the noise , fywheel , clutch disk ,or pressure plate ? With the stock clutch/flywheel my car made no noise , the minute the exedy twin went in the noise started , but the shifting was no better than the stocker . So I ask all the guru's what clutch will not make a lot/any of noise and can hold 400ish hp ?
"Soon2bevo" what flywhell do you have ?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JJAXON84
i have the act 6 puck mine is fine when Iam driving but when I take off it sounds horrible and is very loud. I have cams and a decent amount of mods though but its brand new about 9oo miles and hasnt even been launched yet.
The noise you are having is a totally different issue if it is what I am thinking. Here is a thread about a Tilton with the same condition (with sound clip):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=261013

Most of the time our puck discs are quiet, but on some cars, you will get a horrible squawk as the clutch is engaging. This noise occurs on a certain percentage on most cerametallics. Some brands are worse than others. While it isn't harmful, it can be embarrassing on the street. Cerametallics are really built more for racing and some tradeoffs (such as this noise) are considered normal.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ACTman
The noise you are having is a totally different issue if it is what I am thinking. Here is a thread about a Tilton with the same condition (with sound clip):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=261013

Most of the time our puck discs are quiet, but on some cars, you will get a horrible squawk as the clutch is engaging. This noise occurs on a certain percentage on most cerametallics. Some brands are worse than others. While it isn't harmful, it can be embarrassing on the street. Cerametallics are really built more for racing and some tradeoffs (such as this noise) are considered normal.
wow...thats the noise except way louder...will it go away or get any better or is that just the way it will be?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JJAXON84
wow...thats the noise except way louder...will it go away or get any better or is that just the way it will be?
From what people have told me before, it comes and goes depending on their driving habits. For instance it may go away for awhile or get worse after a track event. All the cars we have tested puck clutches in at the shop didn't have the noise, so we haven't had opportunity to really study it.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

My ACT with Pro Street light weight flywheel makes the same coffee grinder (or as I call it, marbles in a can sound) on decel in 4th gear every since install. Mine does it when I decel after downshifting to 4th and letting off the gas pedal. If you apply gas it stops until you let off again. It is very annoying, but I love the clutch. I've had mine in for 20,000 plus miles now. Even though my clutch has been taken care of and not been beaten to death, the noise is still annoying and makes me worry. I have never had the "High RPM Lockout" issue, but this is still a common occurance as it seems. I have searched for a while and seen no complaints on the forum until know.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 ACT Clutch Noise