Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car just quit, please help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car just quit, please help

I have had my 2003 Evo 8 for about 2 weeks now and a few hours ago I was accelerating and when it got to about 2000rpms the car just bogged and almost stalled. I got off the gas and went into a parking lot and tried getting on the gas again and the car did the same thing so I parked it. Luckily I run a few body shops so I had our tow truck come get me. I don't have a lot of experience working on cars with turbos but my initial reaction was that one of the IC piped came off and it immediately started to run rich which was why it bogged and almost stalled. I was just looking for some advice because I am assuming someone on this forum has had this happen to them or has heard of it. If it is just a pipe I will fix it myself but if not I will take it to the dealer since the powertrain is still covered under warranty.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

well did u look under the hood?,because it really does sounds like an intercooler pipe.

Last edited by bluebyu36; Jun 18, 2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Check the IC pipes. Happens quite often and its pretty simple to fix...
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intercooler pipe. One popped off. open the hood and check.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:49 PM

The ends that actually connect to the IC are ok because I looked through the bumper and the end that connects to the manifold is also ok but the other end of one connects to the turbo right? If so that must be the one because it is the only one I couldn't see because of the heat shield. The only reason I am surprised this happened is because it is completely stock right now.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:57 PM
Former Vendor

that happens. when buying an evo its one the first things a person should do, tighten all clamps, and check for loose bolts, and wiring.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Per your Dx, check IC pipes as suggested.
If you or a friend knows how to perform a boost leak test, I recommend it since this happened...
Old Jun 18, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

this happens to stock evos too. also i am assuming you bought it used considering you have an 03' stock and your a newbie. i bet this evo was brought back to stock before selling.

either way check ALL the IC pipes and go buy some torque clamps.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 07:19 PM

Yes I bought it used 2 weeks ago and currently it is stock but not for long. I am pretty sure this car was always stock because he had oil changes done every 2500 miles at the dealer so I don't think he took all of his mods off to go to the dealer for an oil change that often. Also the guy was a nut he treated it like it was a million dollar car, he never even drove it, it only has 11,600 miles but he needed to get out of the car so I was able to get it cheap. I wasn't even looking to get a car but I couldn't turn up a good deal. I will take the heat shield off first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

check all your ic pipes..

Another thing that might be overlooked is your intake snorkle being loose and getting sucked against the hood bogging the car