Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which front differential?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which front differential?

Since my 03 will be down for the winter, I have already begun thinking about what modifications I will perform in preparation for the 08 Autocross season. I am still running the crappy open front diff that comes in all the 03/04's. This is not good considering the Evo is AWD and the front tires have to steer and accelerate at the same time. With only one front wheel doing the acceleration, understeer is a BIG problem. In a quest for more front end grip I will be installing a new front LSD, (and Whiteline's roll center correction kit). The only question is, which differential works best for the least amount of money? I have heard a few people running into problems with leaks with the Quaife, but perhaps that was an installation issue. If you have installed a front LSD for your Evo, please comment on your experience. Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the ralliart LSD put in when I redid my transfer case. It make the evo handle like a whole new animal. Turns which make the car feel unsafe before make you feel like your on rails now.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rcheung
I have the ralliart LSD put in when I redid my transfer case. It make the evo handle like a whole new animal. Turns which make the car feel unsafe before make you feel like your on rails now.
Same same. Night and day difference.

It should be worth noting that I prefer the true LSD front and rear over the ACD system.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Same same. Night and day difference.

It should be worth noting that I prefer the true LSD front and rear over the ACD system.
Have you extensively driven an ACD evo to compare it to? I always wondered how well the ACD Evo's fair up to non ACD Evo's with mechanical LSD's.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a noticable difference between an ACD car with LSD and one that is 100% mechanical. My 03 feels just like an 04 RS. I have tracked two 05 EVO (lapping days) and an 06. I do not care for the feel of the ACD. I really enjoy flinging the car around and the ACD feels like its fighting me. Almost like it drags a wheel at times and sees to push more.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a used RS front diff.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 08:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or just buy the Mitsubishi unit from TRE on Sale for $800.00 outright and have a skilled person install it as well as upgrading case bolts from 8mm to 10mm or just send out to Shep as he is doing a current special of $975.00 installed plus shipping.Like others have posted it is like night and day difference and after a week or two you will have forgotten how LAME the open front diff was...
Here you go
http://www.teamrip.com/SPECIALS.htm or
http://www.sheptrans.com/details.php?sid=45