Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gear oil help please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear oil help please

So, im wondering what you guys think i should use for gear oil.

im spending almost $2000 on my new drivetrain, which will be installed very soon. however, there is some discussion on what kind of gear oil is best. apparently GL-4 is better for your syncros, but GL-5 is better for the Center LSD (my front diff is open). i waited a long time to get my new tranny, which is a hard to find style with dual and triple cone syncros (cause thats the only thing that wears out on these transmissions). i really don't want to put something in there that will not protect the syncros properly, but i plan on running 400-500 hp through the this thing, so i don't want the LSD on the transfer case to have accelerated wear.

I should also include that there is also a debate on what weight to use? Toyota recommends a few different ones: 75w-90, 80w-90, 80w or 90.

So what do you guys run in your awd tranny? is there a way to protect the syncros and protect the center viscous LSD?

BTW, this is not for a Evo, but i would really appreciate some help.

T-Trac wrote:
Denver_whiteST185 wrote:
from what ive gotten from the MR2 boards is that 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is the best for our trannies and diffs.

If you want smooth shifts and dont mind blowing up your transfer case, go ahead and use GL-4. We need GL-5 protection in our gearboxes because of the transfer case that uses the same fluid. Most GL-5 fluids are meant for differentials and do not offer any protection for our synchros. Ideally you want to use a 75/90 fluid that protects for GL-4 and GL-5 so that you can have synchro and transfer case protection. I've been doing quite a bit of digging around and it seems that Castrol Syntrax Universal would be a good match, but you cant get it in the US, so I just ordered some Silkolene Silktran SYN 5 which seems to fit our application as well. I wont know how well it works till I try it.
Use GL-5 Hypoid Diff Fluid in differential, do not use GL-4 in diff. Might as well just put water in it if you do!!
just my $0.02

Last edited by Denverwhitetrac; Feb 26, 2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

redline MT90 for the trans, and stock Diaqueen from mitsu for everything else....... try searching there is alot of info on this topic....
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

OP is this a question about an Evo or your Yota?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OEM in front and rear, RL MT90 can be used in trans.

Originally Posted by joeMama
redline MT90 for the trans, and stock Diaqueen from mitsu for everything else....... try searching there is alot of info on this topic....