Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full-Race Twinscroll 35R

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got the full race twin scroll 3076R installed.... I'm wondering if I should of got the 35R twin scroll now... I turn the key on my car this weekend.... see what happens....
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
What size turbine housing? .78 A/R?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan, I bet you'll love the 3076. Search for Drifto's twin scroll thread and see what he and Ted have to say about his car with a TS 3076.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Twin scrolls have been around for 50 years. They were designed to spool big turbos on low rpm deisel trucks. All of a sudden they are baller on high rpm 2.0liter. These threads are cracking me up.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Jul 31, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
They are "baller" because, thus far, they require two gates and an expensive manifold. But when it comes down to it, the twin entry turbo setups flat out work better.

Quicker spool
Higher Volumetric efficiency throughout the RPM range
Better turbine efficiency
Lower exhaust back pressure

Besides the price tag, what's not to like?

I personally think the way to go about it is a single 60mm gate that has the port for the gate divided and sealed up to the valve. Kind of similar to the STOCK EVO "single flapper" turbo that was developed in rally racing where all out HP is JUST as important as turbo response.

One last little thought here, look at EVERY large frame GT series turbo. See anything in common? All divided entry turbochargers, despite the GT line being built SPECIFICALLY for high performance gasoline engines. Developed for Diesel engines or not, even a company with a multi-billion dollar research and development budget thinks that gas motors should be using the divided inlet turbochargers...

Well, I guess that wasn't my last thought, this is: too much beer makes me happy. "FOCKER OUT!"
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
I got the full race twin scroll 3076R installed.... I'm wondering if I should of got the 35R twin scroll now... I turn the key on my car this weekend.... see what happens....
What turbo did you have on before the swap?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

i'm in ocean city NJ till sunday, if it's in the area i'd like to see it.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ted B
Geoff has provided dyno sheets that illustrate the results of back-to-back testing with other 4-cyl engines. There's no reason why a 4G63 would behave any differently. And of course, I'm discounting my own first-hand experience altogether in saying this.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. "

--Arthur Schopenhauer

(i thought this to be an appropriate quote..)

Originally Posted by crcain
Full-Race... how is it that you can sell a kit if you have not tested it yet? If you have tested it, what were the results?
Originally Posted by Ron
I'm with you. Full Race is taking orders and making much hullaballoo, but there has actually been ZERO testing on an Evo?? Seems backwards.
Both of you make valid points, and they are totally fair to bring up to us. I responded to your post in the last thread, but we are working on testing and will release all test results as soon as they are ready.

We have been doing this full-time for 6 years. I personally went to engineering school for 5 years, solely with the intention of designing turbo components. There are 28 guys who work here, some of whom are degreed mechanical engineers, others that are some of the best welders/fabricators/machinists in this industry. Not once have we ever fallen short of our stated claims. Not with our supras, not with our hondas, not with our skylines, not with our subarus, not with our scions, not with our mazdas, and we are certainly not about to start disappointing with our evo kits

We HAVE done significant engineering testing, both on and off the dyno (more off the dyno than on). You may or may not agree with our testing procedures/methodologies or their validity, but we know what we're doing, and we know how twinscroll works. Im not here to BS, and we dont promote hype or the latest buzzwords. We are commited to providing the highest performing, best quality turbo components available, simple as that.

Originally Posted by EvolutionBoy67
While i sort of agree with you, I have full confidence in Geoff. The man knows his **** and has answered every and any question i have asked him. I am a firm believe that when more of these kits come out we will see that, twin scroll setups are superior to single scroll. Hopefully Geoff will release some dyno sheets and info soon.
thanks for your support. we will not let you down.

Originally Posted by fugiwara
I just realized there is twin scroll setup for big turbo. so FR utilize the stock twin scroll technology to help the spool up on 35R?
while we do use twinscroll technology, it is definately not based on the stock design twinscroll. Twinscroll can improve spool and throttle response on most turbos, although the 35R is a difficult one to work with in twinscroll variant. I personally prefer the 30R and the 40R, although the 30R is too small for some and the 40R too big for others, so the 35R would be the next choice

Originally Posted by sparky
can the HTA35R be combined with the FR Twinscroll exhaust side? Just wondering since the FP HTA is a compressor side mod, while the FR Twinscroll is a hotside mod. Would there be any possible advantages to attempting such a hybridization? Is it even doable?
unfortunately, i dont think this is too do-able. The twinscroll 35R we use is actually made by turbonetics on their Big Shaft T4 frame. The Garrett 35R is made by garrett on their small shaft T25 frame. Unless there was some serious machine work done (which is possible later on down the road) i dont think we will see this combination... if you REALLY want it, anything is possible, but it would likely cost more $$ than its worth, and im not sure that it would be worth it? One of my favorite things about using off-the-shelf based turbos is that it is easy to replace if the turbo takes a crap, whether its from a valve smashing into the turbine wheel or lack of oil pressure... things happen and it sucks to have to worry about replacing a turbo that is impossible to get.

glad to hear you go the kit installed so quickly. I wouldnt second guess the 35R just yet...

Originally Posted by Ted B
What size turbine housing? .78 A/R?
yeah hes on the .78

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
when it comes down to it, the twin entry turbo setups flat out work better... I personally think the way to go about it is a single 60mm gate that has the port for the gate divided and sealed up to the valve. Kind of similar to the STOCK EVO "single flapper" turbo that was developed in rally racing where all out HP is JUST as important as turbo response.
i personally prefer the dual gates to 1 big one. We've been using the 60s here lately and they are definately badass but do have some drawbacks. After using both, dual 44s is the way to go for me! Out of curiosity have you ever seen one of the "synapse" wastegates? The thing is really really interesting... if youre bored do a search for them. The owner/engineer over there Peter really seems to have come up with an incredibly innovative wastegate design.

Originally Posted by LostSolVTEC
i'm in ocean city NJ till sunday, if it's in the area i'd like to see it.
make sure you check us out at englishtown on August 25th!!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Geoff for your replies. Really straight up honest answers. I don't think anyone here doubts the professionalism of full race given the content of your replies here on EvoM.

I'm still left wondering... if your kit is delivered to a customer car already, how is that you yourself have not slapped the thing on the dyno and posted a result?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by crcain
Thanks Geoff for your replies. Really straight up honest answers. I don't think anyone here doubts the professionalism of full race given the content of your replies here on EvoM.

I'm still left wondering... if your kit is delivered to a customer car already, how is that you yourself have not slapped the thing on the dyno and posted a result?
glad to hear that you approve of my responses lol. The truth is we are BUSY. Its the middle of summer, the middle of race season and we are swamped. We had planned on having this kit ready about 8 months ago (as many of the people we've communicated with im sure can attest to), but it wasnt ready. The drag race teams we work with all need their parts last week, and the circuit/time attack/drift guys are in just as bad of a rush. I work 10-14 hours a day, 7 days a week to stay on top of things. We dont dyno here, we dont tune here and the evos that are in our shop are here for prototype work or chassis fabrication. We work our tails off to get back to every customer in a timely fashion, to ensure that each and every order is handled properly and that all our past and/or future customers receive the communication they deserve. Things take time, and properly testing our brand new evo kit is no exception.

we just finished a supra build for Toyota North America. That car took so much time to finish that it unfortunately caused some of our other projects to run late. Our sole focus right now is getting these twinscroll evo kits 100% dialed so that we can offer an easy install and mindblowing performance.

thanks for your input, feel free to ask any other questions.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

errrrr....cant wait for results!!!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Pics Pa Pa Pa PLEASE
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Geoff.. appreciate your response.

I'm sooooo irked that I might have to ditch my AMS 35R!

Will wait patiently to see how things pan out with your new kits.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
TED B.

Yes I'm on the .78 hotside.... sorry for the long waited reply... I'm working and on the sidekick....

To the fellow who wants to see it I'm in hopatcong.. Pm me for more info.....

I'm hoping my car is complete buy saturday..
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:32 PM
Account Disabled

can't wait to see the results of this, sounds very promising...

Quick Reply: Full-Race Twinscroll 35R