Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best way to get 400-450hp.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

Now as for the intercooler pipes, both the LICP and the lower section of the UICP are both below the hot engine bay in direct path of clean airflow. The air coming out of the turbo into the LICP will always be hotter than ambient. Therefore using a stainless pipe will hold that heat INSIDE the LICP, whereas an aluminum pipe will transfer more of that heat out of the LICP to the atmosphere. Same with the lower portion of the UICP.

EVOlutionary
I agree with your whole text. But this one paragraph is not only 100% correct it should be easy for even an 11 year to understand. Aluminum makes a far better lower IC pipe than stainless. No testing even needed. Everybody knows aluminum absorbs and dissipates heat better than any other metal especially stainless.

Funny thing is when david reads this , rather than admit he is completely wrong he retorts by saying he didn't do any of the testing he just knows the testing is correct because somebody did it and made a good thread about. And there is no point in debating you any longer lets just race our cars to see who has the faster car. Yeah, that will prove who is right.

VERY SAD.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Aug 25, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
94awdcoupe, I can't wait for the opportunity to meet your ignorant ***.

Think of this you freaking idiot. If you have a pipe in your hand and I heat that piece of aluminum for say 2 minutes with a torch, yes, the aluminum dissipates the heat faster which means in that short time the other end is also going to be extremely hot further heating the intake charge inside the pipe. Now heat a piece of SS for the same 2 minutes, you hand will not get burnt on the other end as the heat does not move the pipe. Thanks for your once again stupid comments here on EVOM.

Now take your stupid *** back to your intercooler thread that you started a year ago and haven't done a darn thing with.

Let's race is right.

If the testing on the aluminum vs SS wasn't done by one of the most respected names in the turbo industry I wouldn't bother putting any faith in it. If common sense from welding various material also didn't point me to the facts above I wouldn't put any faith in it either.

YOU 94awdcoupe are a worthless POS that has done nothing and I am sick of your big mouth.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHOAAAAAA.... this thread just got great
Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

Think of this you freaking idiot. If you have a pipe in your hand and I heat that piece of aluminum for say 2 minutes with a torch, yes, the aluminum dissipates the heat faster which means in that short time the other end is also going to be extremely hot further heating the intake charge inside the pipe. Now heat a piece of SS for the same 2 minutes, you hand will not get burnt on the other end as the heat does not move the pipe. Thanks for your once again stupid comments here on EVOM.

Now take your stupid *** back to your intercooler thread that you started a year ago and haven't done a darn thing with.

Let's race is right.

If the testing on the aluminum vs SS wasn't done by one of the most respected names in the turbo industry I wouldn't bother putting any faith in it. If common sense from welding various material also didn't point me to the facts above I wouldn't put any faith in it either.

YOU 94awdcoupe are a worthless POS that has done nothing and I am sick of your big mouth.
You are the Fawking idiot. You type but you dont think.
The lower intercooler pipe made of aluminum dissipates heat just like the aluminum intercooler. the stainless lower pipe doesnt dissipate heat as fast. it acts like an intercooler made of stainless.

Ruff example. turbo out temp is 300. goes through alumium pipe looses 10 degrees before it gets to IC. 290 going into IC. going through stailess pipe temp drops to 295. So what is better 295 or 290?

You are so ignorant sometimes its painful.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The airflow testing was done a flow bench by some engineers, rather than argueing the point........go check out the thread of the testing. The cooler air charge, also done by fourdoor on here, he is an engineer too, and found your informationt to be in correct........again, go check the threads and posts. I didn't do the testing it was done by others, so it's not me trying to make a sale.

I also think you have made a ton of wrong choices on your car by not going the "cookie cutter" route. I'd be glad to put a car up against yours in drag, autocross or whatever you choose to finally put an end to argueing with you.

Actually, it has been done already as if I remember correctly Trevor won' the WW3 event.
The OP doesn't NEED an intake. He isn't trying to wring every last HP out of the car. The topic isn't about how to make the MOST HP, it's about how to get to a certain HP goal. To reach that goal he doesn't need an intake.

Trevor did a great job at the event. That is certainly true. However, if my car had been tuned on race gas and high boost (rather than stock boost and pump gas), I would have gained enough points in the drag race to take 2nd overall, and most likely first overall. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. No excuses here. What happened happened and I am very pleased with my 3rd place overall. It is actually better than I expected from the car. Hell, it didn't even run 24 hours before the event. I look forward to a rematch next spring when I have adequate power. You can bring the Magnum if you want.

Intersting that Vishnu tuned EVOs (with stock airbox ) won a National championship in 2005 and 2006. This year it will most likely be an AMS tuned car (Daddio).

I'm sorry you're upset I didn't use all your parts on this car, but I had to do what I felt was best for me. The Buschur Racing parts that ARE on it are there because I feel they are the best part made that will help me meet my goals.

I'm out. I'll let the OP decide what path to take for his build.

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

. . .

. . .
David, the reason the aluminum gets hotter faster is because it is transferring the heat from the torch to the ambient air (or if your hand is on it, to your hand). Same happens when hot air is blown throught it, it transfers that hot air out to the cooler ambient air.

For your welding example, when you weld aluminum, it gets very hot very fast. Then it cools off very fast because it transfers the heat out quickly. When you weld stainless it takes longer to absorb the heat but it also takes alot longer to cool down. This is because it tranfers heat slower.

I think where we are getting mixed up is that some of us are thinking about transferring heat from the turbo air charge OUT, while it seems like you are thinking about heat getting INTO the air charge. Because the ambient air around the LICP will always be lower when driving than the air charge IN the pipe, heat is always transferred out. Therefore aluminum is optimal.

OK, sorry, not I'm really out, just had to see if I could clarify things a bit.

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

And for readings who want to learn. The lower IC pipe will always work better when made of alumium because the air inside that pipe is always going to be much hotter than air around it. That means alumium will always work best and dissipate the most heat in conjuction with the interccoler.

The upper IC pipe is condition dependant.
turbo out= 300.
IC out = 120
engine compartment heat= 130
stainless would be better. you dont want the 130 air to heat the 120 air.

turbo out 350
IC out 140
engine compartmant air temp = 130
aluminum would be better. you want the 140 to dissipate more heat which it will if the air outside of the pipe is lower temp.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
This was the worst answer/advice Ive seen in the past 6 months given to someone.
ever....

would been better off calling him a dumbass
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cams, full exhaust(you did not even mentioned on your mods),LICP, MBC,tune(custom tune), that alone should put you already in the 400hp crank or moreso technically you wouldn't need an upgrade turbo and consequently and upgrade IC. Last but not least some good gas.

Carlos
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about glass? A two ply pyrex glass lower pipe with circulating water to absorb the heat before the IC and after the IC what about an asbestos lined titanium duct to insulate (disipate) the heat.

Use aluminum for lower for long drives and SS lower for short. SS will only pull so much heat away until it starts to radiate it
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Good call on the clutch. I was only looking at power mods, but clutch, radiator, oil cooler, etc are all good for the type of racing the OP is doing. Race car prep isn't really the topic here, I'll just stick with power production.

The BR staged upgrades are great, but not everything in their stages are necessary. You don't need an intake pipe and open cone filter. They may add a bit of performance, but for your power goals are not necessary. Plus with an open intake you have to deal with heat issues. The stock intake pulls in nice cool clean air from the front of the car.

While a big FMIC is good, keep in mind that with some you HAVE to remove the front crash beam. Are you willing to do this? Also with some you HAVE to trim the undertray. Are you willing to do this? For the high speeds you will be racing I would recommend to NOT cut the front undertray unless you are going to be running a full custom splitter/undertray package.

Also, the BR UICP is made of steel. There is no reason an intercooler pipe should ever be made of steel. Aluminum is lighter.

Personally I don't like the column mount gauge pod because it can make it very difficult to see the fuel gauge. Mount your gauges in the dash or a-pillar.

As for cams, I stick by my recommendation of the GSC S1. I have yet to see the HKS 272's make better power. If anyone has seen better results with HKS please route me to the results.

EVOlutionary
are you kidding me
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
How about glass? A two ply pyrex glass lower pipe with circulating water to absorb the heat before the IC and after the IC what about an asbestos lined titanium duct to insulate (disipate) the heat.

Use aluminum for lower for long drives and SS lower for short. SS will only pull so much heat away until it starts to radiate it
I also hear flux capacitors will give you a cooler air charge upon hitting 88mph.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
I also hear flux capacitors will give you a cooler air charge upon hitting 88mph.
Flux Capacitor FTW!!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think of this you freaking idiot.

Thanks for your once again stupid comments here on EVOM.

David, with these quotes that you have said, I am sure you can expect new or current Buschur customers to run away. If a shop or tuner was talking like this to their customers, I surely would spend my money somewhere else.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
bullet, if that guy was my customer I wouldn't talk to him that way. He is a persistant PIMA is what he is.

If he was our customer he'd have some respect because he'd realize how well our parts work.

As the saying goes, "I'd rather live on my feet than die on my knees."

I won't trade money and *** kissing for my integrity.

Quick Reply: Best way to get 400-450hp.