Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full Race Twinscroll GT37 on 2.0L

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full Race Twinscroll GT37 on 2.0L

My future plans is to run a full race twinscroll gt37 kit on 2.0L. I wanted to know what yall though about a twinscroll gt37 on 2.0L, I know i will have to rebuild my motor. Does anybody know what other supporting parts i will have to get. I search and saw some threads on 2.0l running gt37 setups but i havent heard nobody running the twinscroll setup.Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

i have peakboost top mount gt37r turbo kit with build motor, pnphead,magnus intake 1600cc inj. and a lot more,
i made 515 power and 415 tq@28psi on e-85.And next up on c-16 38-40 psi
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Angles217
My future plans is to run a full race twinscroll gt37 kit on 2.0L. I wanted to know what yall though about a twinscroll gt37 on 2.0L, I know i will have to rebuild my motor. Does anybody know what other supporting parts i will have to get. I search and saw some threads on 2.0l running gt37 setups but i havent heard nobody running the twinscroll setup.Thanks
I use a twinscroll 'GT37R' (a T67 with BB cc is the same thing), so I have first-hand experience with it. Properly configured, a twinscroll GT37R setup makes a regular GT37R setup feel unresponsive and laggy.

An upgraded short block is a wise idea. So is a good multiplate clutch. A good fuel system is also a necessity, and I don't mean just a Walbro 255 lph pump. Consider a dual pump in-tank arrangement. You'll need a good set of cams, and maybe an upgraded valvetrain (depending upon your cam choice). A ported head isn't a bad idea if you're going to turn up the boost and use something other than pump fuel. Likewise, if you're going to get the most out of it, some ignition help (HKS DLI II or better) may alleviate some headaches.

And lastly, some tuning hardware/software is a must. This ranges from reflashing the stock ECU to a standalone, depending upon the skill of the tuner and the intended use of the car.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

I pmed Full Race about this particular kit and asked about how far i have to take the block (build/port head), and he said that w/what i have now, i should be fine. Wouldn't hurt to get the block built for safety reasons in my opinion.

Ted B, how much power did you make w/your 37r kit and what times did you run 1/4mile wise?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:41 AM
EvoM Guru

I never went to the track, primarily because I never finished tuning it. Once we resolved some serious boost leak issues, we realized that it was down on pressure in one cylinder. Old motor out, new motor in . . .
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

I'm looking to upgrade a turbo down the line as well. I've looked into 35r and 37r kits and here's my 2 cents.

I saw Geoff from Full-Race at an event and we began talking about the setup of the twinscroll turbos. According to him the twinscroll setup is only substantially functional when the turbo is like a 3076(30R) or 40R. The twinscroll setup on the 35R and 37R do not help spool it much quicker. Geoff also told me the twinscroll 40R would spool like a 35R yet produce power like a 37R. I've been contacting him lately to see the graphs and numbers from the twinscroll 40R kits.

I would try and contact Geoff from Full-Race, or maybe get his piece of mind on this thread.

I'm very interested in this thread as well so keep it going. Also, if someone can explain why the twinscroll setup doesn't work well on the 35R and 37R, I would appreciate it.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

i was calling around to precision and garrett and found that there's no twin scroll 37r. ted b i want a one can you tell me where to find it.

Last edited by BURNALL_4; Sep 10, 2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by xxNosTankxx
According to him the twinscroll setup is only substantially functional when the turbo is like a 3076(30R) or 40R. The twinscroll setup on the 35R and 37R do not help spool it much quicker.
I think what he may be referring to is the static, dyno recorded boost log. I went from a regular 35R open scroll to a TS 37R, and there is NO comparison in the feel of the car between the two. One feels dead and laggy, the other torquey and responsive.

FYI
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

I'm assuming the 35R was torquey and responsive?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BURNALL_4
i was calling around to precision and garrett and found that there's no twin scroll 37r. ted b i want a one can you tell me where to find it.
And they are correct. What people erroneously refer to as a "GT37R" is actually not a GT37 at all. It is a T67 with BB center and divided T4 turbine housing, most commonly sold by Precision Turbo. The term "PT67 BB" or "PT67R" is actually more appropriate.

I'm assuming the 35R was torquey and responsive?
NO. It was the other way around. The larger turbo felt much better on the street than the 35R, simply because the larger turbo used a TS configuration.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

aaaahhhhhhhh......now I understand!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Ted B...

I'm looking for a turbo that isn't too laggy for the street, but I want big power. I will track my car sometimes but its mainly a street monster that I look to build. It IS my project car and it is NOT my DD. So should I be looking toward a TS PT67 BB (37R)? I am aware of the supporting mods of a big turbo, and think that I would like to stay with the 2.0l. What are some other good ideas for turbos? Should I look up information on the PT67 BB?

I don't mean to take this thread away from the originator, feel free to PM me and thanks in advance. I really appreciate everyones help

--Nick
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm looking for a turbo that isn't too laggy for the street, but I want big power.
Don't we all?

I will track my car sometimes but its mainly a street monster that I look to build. It IS my project car and it is NOT my DD. So should I be looking toward a TS PT67 BB (37R)?
Even in TS configuration, a PT67R is not a turbo for autocross. Also, turbo selection depends upon other factors such as additional upgrades, the type of fuel to be used, and what exactly one means when he want to take to to the 'track' (autocross, drags, ...?).

If I were going to autocross the car, I would use a TME. Nothing has the same transient response or accelerates from slow speeds faster than this turbo, period.

If I wanted a strong street turbo and had a big meth shot or race fuel at my disposal, the FP Green is hard to beat.

If I wanted a more a bit more top end power than possible with a small turbo, but wanted to minimize lag, I would use a TS 3076R.

If I wanted yet a bit more peak power potential, and was willing to accept a little more lag, a TS 35R will do, but IMO will require a special 1.06 A/R TS hotside for best power potential in T3 configuration.

The PT67R, GT40R, and GT42R are larger still, require TS T4 hotsides, and require better supporting hardware tuning capability to make them truly worthwhile. The the record however, for whomever has driven a regular 35R open scroll car, they will be surprised at how much better a larger turbo with TS feels in comparison. Been there, done that.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:39 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Angles217
considering the turbo size -- a twinscroll GT37R (67mm/63 trim compressor, 11 blade/76 trim turbine) is definately a decent high power highway/street-drag turbocharger. When people tell us they are considering this turbo i usually recommend the smaller twinscroll GT40R(63.5mm/52 trim compressor, 10 bade 78 trim turbine) . This is actually a slightly smaller compressor inducer turbo than the 37R, however it is far more efficient due to the 10 blade turbine and low trim compressor. Additionally, the bearing structure on the 40R is very stout and it is one of the strongest/most durable turbochargers ive ever used...either turbo would work very well, im just obviously partial to the 40R

the twinscroll setup is only substantially functional when the turbo is like a 3076(30R) or 40R. The twinscroll setup on the 35R and 37R do not help spool it much quicker. Geoff also told me the twinscroll 40R would spool like a 35R yet produce power like a 37R. I've been contacting him lately to see the graphs and numbers from the twinscroll 40R kits... Also, if someone can explain why the twinscroll setup doesn't work well on the 35R and 37R, I would appreciate it.
the reason i said that i prefer to use the 30R and 40R in twinscroll is because they are easy to get. It is possibe to get a twincsroll 35R, but its difficult. Additionally, its possible to make a 37R twinscroll, but it just doesnt work quite as well as the 10 blade GT turbines.

BTW, just like Ted B mentioned above -- there is no such thing as a GT37R, its just an erroneous misleading name that evo guys have given these turbos... its not GT at all, and no one except for evo ppl calls it a GT37R

HKS called it their T04Z, we call it a T3/T67 or T4/T67... precision calls it a PT67..

Originally Posted by Ted B
NO. It was the other way around. The larger turbo felt much better on the street than the 35R, simply because the larger turbo used a TS configuration.
isnt it cool how that works? I went from a single scroll 35R, to a singlescroll 37R to a twinscroll 40R, the 40R felt so much stronger and faster, even at low rpm despite its size

I'm looking for a turbo that isn't too laggy for the street, but I want big power. I will track my car sometimes but its mainly a street monster that I look to build. It IS my project car and it is NOT my DD. So should I be looking toward a TS PT67 BB (37R)? I am aware of the supporting mods of a big turbo, and think that I would like to stay with the 2.0l. What are some other good ideas for turbos? Should I look up information on the PT67 BB?
we can provide any of the turbos, but i still stand by my recommendation of 40R

Originally Posted by Ted B

If I wanted a more a bit more top end power than possible with a small turbo, but wanted to minimize lag, I would use a TS 3076R.

If I wanted yet a bit more peak power potential, and was willing to accept a little more lag, a TS 35R will do, but IMO will require a special 1.06 A/R TS hotside for best power potential in T3 configuration.

The PT67R, GT40R, and GT42R are larger still, require TS T4 hotsides, and require better supporting hardware tuning capability to make them truly worthwhile. The the record however, for whomever has driven a regular 35R open scroll car, they will be surprised at how much better a larger turbo with TS feels in comparison. Been there, done that.
^^^^ i dont know why i even both posting, ted summed it up right there
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

I was thinking of going 37R, but now after what Geoff wrote makes me want to get a GT40R. I would like to see a OS 37R, 40R and a TS 37R, 40R so I can see the spool on all four on the same sheet!!! I really think it would let me know which one would spool the fastest while we know the GT40R will produce more top end!

Quick Reply: Full Race Twinscroll GT37 on 2.0L