Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff/Mustache Bushing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone post a link for the differential bushings?

i got the AMS rear trailing arm bushings and a full engine bushings kit after destroying one of my axles due to wheel hop at the track but i want to further upgrade my rear axle...

Should i do the bushings of the AMS or Buschur moustahce bar?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sEvoIXnTurboS2k
Does this "clunking" noise only pertain to an VIII, because I have yet to hear any noise from the IX rear diff and/or suspension.
No. I think the clunk noise can happen to any EVO 7-9 as long as the car is driven hard enough
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kouzman
can someone post a link for the differential bushings?

i got the AMS rear trailing arm bushings and a full engine bushings kit after destroying one of my axles due to wheel hop at the track but i want to further upgrade my rear axle...

Should i do the bushings of the AMS or Buschur moustahce bar?
Do the buschur mustache bar, IMHO, its easier to install...plus you'll still save like 12-12 pounds
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
No. I think the clunk noise can happen to any EVO 7-9 as long as the car is driven hard enough
Huh. Maybe I haven't driven it hard enough. I am drag racing it for this first time this Friday, but have done some spirited driving and have not heard any clunks whatsoever.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

thanks mate!

it looks like its easier than the AMS unit and it does require drilling but i wasn't sure...
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Do the buschur mustache bar, IMHO, its easier to install...plus you'll still save like 12-12 pounds
Do you know if you can do the BR mustache bar along with the ES full bushings kit?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Huh. Maybe I haven't driven it hard enough. I am drag racing it for this first time this Friday, but have done some spirited driving and have not heard any clunks whatsoever.
no you'll normally hear the clunk when you are power shifting each gear if you are drag racing.....
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kouzman
thanks mate!

it looks like its easier than the AMS unit and it does require drilling but i wasn't sure...
yeah if you look in AMS's thread there are install instructions posted on installing their rear diff bushing piece.... the charge 3-4 hours labor to install this, which imho, is too much time and money...

for your reference sir:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=86

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...4&postcount=89

Do you know if you can do the BR mustache bar along with the ES full bushings kit?
Yeah you can do the BR rear mustache bar, and just do the ES rear diff carrier bushing set and the ES rear trailing arm bushing upgrade.

AMS makes delrin trailing arm bushings too, but I decided on ES cuz it was way cheaper than the $75 AMS was charging

BTW I got all my Energy Suspension bushings from www.summitracing.com
They seemed to have the best pricing

Last edited by Blue Evo 8; Oct 9, 2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

no you'll normally hear the clunk when you are power shifting each gear if you are drag racing.....
+1 on that statement but dont just when you powershift... you will hear the thumb on every aggresive gearchange especially if you have an aftermarket clutch...
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Power shifting = clutchless shifting right? If so, I wouldn't be doing that in any condition.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

yeah if you look in AMS's thread there are install instructions posted on installing their rear diff bushing piece.... the charge 3-4 hours labor to install this, which imho, is too much time and money...

for your reference sir:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=86

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...4&postcount=89

Yeah you can do the BR rear mustache bar, and just do the ES rear diff carrier bushing set and the ES rear trailing arm bushing upgrade.

AMS makes delrin trailing arm bushings too, but I decided on ES cuz it was way cheaper than the $75 AMS was charging

BTW I got all my Energy Suspension bushings from www.summitracing.com
They seemed to have the best pricing
awsome info mate! Thanks!

Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Power shifting = clutchless shifting right? If so, I wouldn't be doing that in any condition.
no, shifting w/o really lifting your foot off the gas pedal....
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

no, shifting w/o really lifting your foot off the gas pedal....
Right...and not pushing in the clutch as well, right?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

no no...

you just keep the gas pedal to the floor but you use the clutch when changing gears...
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

My bad...

Power shifting (a.k.a. speed shifting)
This is an advanced technique that gives a speed boost to the car when upshifting. This should only be used in racing applications (and probably only in very short races), as it is very hard on drivetrain components, especially if done improperly. Even done properly, it generally puts undue stress on the drivetrain, and shortens the lifespan of the driveline components.

To perform a power shift, keep the gas pedal on the floor (instead of lifting) while pushing in the clutch. At the same time, quickly shift to the next gear. Quickly re-engage ("pop") the clutch as soon as the new gear is selected. If done properly, the car will receive a "bump" in acceleration (due to the jerk of the decelerating engine) as the clutch is re-engaged. If done improperly, it can result in engine or transmission damage, sometimes catastrophic.

Shifting without the clutch
It is possible to shift gears without using the clutch at all, by careful throttle manipulation. When transmissions were unsynchronized this was usually the easiest method, and still works in modern cars, although it requires a lot more practice than the usual methods described above.

Although the technique works in synchronized gearboxes, it is inappropriate in nearly all circumstances. A synchronized gearbox has a small clutch called a synchronizer (or "synchro") in every forward gear which brings the input and output rotation to the same speed before allowing them to engage. Like the main clutch, these synchronizing clutches use friction. These synchronizing clutches will allow for a margin of error when engaging without the main clutch. If the engine speed is somewhat too high or too low, the synchro will essentially take on the job that the fully engaged main clutch isn't doing. However, a synchro ring is not intended to do the job of a main clutch. Its job is to spin up or spin down just the input part of the transmission that is assumed to be disconnected from the engine. It is not intended to speed up or slow down the entire engine. Such experimentation done on a regular basis will prematurely wear out the synchro rings, which will have to be replaced.

On cars with a freewheel, such as the older SAAB with a two-stroke engine, shifting without the clutch is standard procedure. But actually, the freewheel is a form of clutch: one that is disengaged whenever the input rotation is slower than then output rotation. One must disengage the freewheel by allowing the engine revolutions to drop, which is analogous to pressing the clutch pedal.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff/Mustache Bushing