Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Air temp & MAP sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air temp & MAP sensor questions

I bought my car all tore apart and trying to figure out a few things. Is the aftermarket MAP sensor in this picture only good if running a stand alone ecu? I want to wire up the OEM one but need to know what wires go to what terminal because the plug was cut off.

There was no air temp sensor in this car when I bought it. Is this the plug for it and where does it mount?
Attached Thumbnails Air temp & MAP sensor questions-evolution-map.jpg   Air temp & MAP sensor questions-evolution-air-temp.jpg  
Old Nov 10, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the car is running the stock ecu it doesnt need a map sensor nor an IAT sensor.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 03:02 PM

Why would Mitsubishi spend the money to put them there then? Doesnt the air temp sensor control some of the fuel and air mixture?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:23 PM

Can anyone help???
Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

that little two lead connector is for the boost solenoid.
there should be a bunch of wires, maybe eight or so for the ait maf that plugs into the bottom of the stock air filter assembly
Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

A. The air temp sensor is part of the main MAF harness. I can give you pin out color diagrams tomorrow if needed (need to look at my car).

B. The aftermarket map is only good if running a standalone EMS, you are correct. you need the factory 1bar? map sensor connected in order to run the stock ECU.

Addition: You might be getting the two intake air temp sensors confused. There is one in the MAF which is for the stock ECU and the second might be welded/in a bung in the air charge piping. The latter is used for standalone EMS's.

EDIT: nothere beat me to the post button

Blake.

Last edited by cssaddictm4; Nov 10, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:10 AM

I have my MAF sensor plugged in alredy but Im not sure where my boost solenoid is located or if they took that out of the car too. Are you saying that the MAF sensor has an air temp sensor built into it or does it get threaded into the port where the plug is? Also is that little plug pictured in the original post for the air temp sensor or for boost solenoid? A picture of a stock map sensor plugged in with color of wires showwing would be very helpful. Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

ait is in there. the bcs is located just below the air filter assembly, on the sheet metal.. has its own little bracket to mount to. I would think it was removed given the amount of modding the car apparently had.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Since it seems like it had an EMS installed you might not have the factory boost solenoid. Yes the MAF has the air temp sensor built into it, I am gonna go get some pictures of my car so I can post them up for you.

Blake.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:28 AM

I appreciate the help! Ive had this car for 5 months now and still not running right! I found the part # for the boost solenoid, MN143213. Only $46. Would this solenoid and map sensor not hooked up make my car run like crap and have no power and bad idle?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

yes, the car runs like crap without that plugged in. its in limp home mode, the computer doesn't want to try hard because it doesn't know what is going on.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Here are the pictures. The 4 extra black and red wires from the MAF and main harness is so I can switch back from the AEM EMS to the stock ECU.

Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:00 AM

Sorry but Im still confused. Heres some more pictures.

Is small connector w/two wires for boost control solenoid?

Where does each wire connect to map sensor?

Please view pictures and should be straight forward.
Attached Thumbnails Air temp & MAP sensor questions-boost-solenoid-wires.jpg   Air temp & MAP sensor questions-evolution-map-wires.jpg   Air temp & MAP sensor questions-boost-solenoid-plug.jpg  
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

I was confused for a second because I didn't realize that the EVO8 and the EVO9 had different MAP harness's.

Yellow: Signal
Grey: 5v Ref
Black: Grnd

I am looking up the pin out for the map sensor at the moment. I believe the the 2 pin connector that you are holding is for the stock boost solenoid.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

In reference to your diagram "top middle bottom"

Top: Grey/ 5v REF
Middle: Black/Grnd
Bottom: Yellow/Signal

Fixing this map sensor should fix your running issues unless you have problems elsewhere. The no power may come from the fact that there is NO boost controller in the car. If the stock boost controller is MIA and there is no aftermarket manual or electronic boost controller then you will be boosting of the wastegate spring only which is about 12psi. Do you have any check engine lights?

Blake.

Last edited by cssaddictm4; Nov 11, 2007 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Air temp & MAP sensor questions