Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Starting problem (intermittent)

Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problem (intermittent)

I was hoping someone might have had a similar problem and has a suggestion before I get raped by a mechanic. I’m going to be as detailed as possible. Monday morning it started just fine and I drove 10 minutes to drop the kid off at daycare. It was less than a 5 minute stop. When I tried to leave the evo wouldn’t start. When you turn the key, the dash, lights, gauges, etc all come on but all you hear is that small click and then nothing. After a few minutes it sounds like it will actually try to turn over but only briefly before it cuts out. After 10 minutes give or take, it will turn on like nothing was ever wrong. My gauges and CD player were reset though. I had no problems the rest of the day.

Tuesday morning the same thing happen but this time before I left the house. It didn’t take as long to get it to start up though. I called a buddy of mine and went over his house and he went to recharge the battery but it didn’t need it. The fluid level on the battery was low though so we brought it back to the correct level with distilled water. He also checked the alternator. I have the 90 amp alternator but nothing appeared to be wrong with that. We did a test and were getting 13volts with everything on. I drove around for 30 minutes before I got home with no problems.

This morning it started just fine again and started fine on my way to lunch. On my way back from lunch it did the same thing though. A bad starter could explain everything but the gauges and CD player defaulting.

Other possible helpful information:

The car is garaged at night but not in a heated garage.

The overnight temperatures have been roughly 10-15 degrees.

The previous owner lived in Florida.

The CCA of the battery is unknown. I checked all the stickers and it’s not printed. It’s the OEM battery though so someone on here already knows.

If anyone has any idea/advice/solutions please let me know. Thank you.

Last edited by killakane24; Dec 19, 2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:33 PM

bump
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

dam sounds like an electrical problem but i dont know
bump for u
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

did you check and make sure the battery terminal are tight and clean? also check for starter draw when cranking. the starter could have a short and drained the battery and cause the clock and cd player to reset
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by KcEvil8
did you check and make sure the battery terminal are tight and clean? also check for starter draw when cranking. the starter could have a short and drained the battery and cause the clock and cd player to reset
The battery terminals are clean. The clock only reset once at my friends house when we disconnected the battery to clean them. Same with the trip meter. Other than that they haven't been effected. It's only the CD player and Defi gauges that reset to default each time. the car doesn't start.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

but you still should do a starter draw test
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:59 PM

how do I do it?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Check your grounds.I lost mine a while back and did the same thing you car is doing.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by eponti
Check your grounds.I lost mine a while back and did the same thing you car is doing.
will do, thanks
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

If the connections are good batt, ground and starter then it could be the battery itself. I've seen them go from 100% to DOA in 5 minutes, it could be an internal short. Do a load test on it or just replace it if it's original.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

You said you drove to your friends house did you test the battery right away after you got there? If you did the problem won't happen since your battery is charged up to normal so we could rule out the alternator because it is charging the battery. So what i would try is let the car sit over night for more than 7-8 hrs and check the battery voltage before you crank it over to see what you have. If the battery is low you might have parastic drain some where, If you have above 9.6v i would think it is the CCA problem. I had hard start in the cold morning and if my is been sitting for more than 8-9 hrs, so i tested the battery with this tool my CCA was off by 100.

So i hope this helped good luck and hope you get this fixed
Old Dec 19, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
In the upper part of the battery there are two bars that connect the positive and negative plates in the battery. These bars can crack, usually at the battery post connection. Then as the battery box changes size with temperature the post will make/break contact or sometimes create a high resistance connection. If this is your problem the fix is a new battery.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:29 PM

You have a bad battery. When a battery is bad, it will show fully charged, but it wont put oout the amps. kinda like a person wen they get old, they put out 100%, but they dont pack the punch they used to. As far as the cd player goes, you need a certain voltage to hold the settings, clock too, and when the battery drops below that voltage, it cuts out. Your alternator should be putting out 13.5volts minimum. up to 14.8. But a bad battery can throw off that reading. You probably shouldnt need to add water, it only needs to be a quarter inh over the plates. If you filled it too high, Your gonna have corrosion city. Water freezes, so you need to charge a battery on 10 amps overnoght to mix the acid back in with the water. Altenator dosnt charge. Years ago, cars had "generators" in them that actually charges a bettery. An "altenator is a maintainer. It would take 24 hours of driving to actually charge the battery. All it does is puts a surface charge on the battery. You definately have a bad battery - I sell batteries for a liviing, (7 years now) -(seriously, I sell batteries. Thats it. Just batteries.) and I hear these same stories all day long. Look for a Battery Warehouse, or worst case scenario, go to Advanced or Auto zone. The evo takes a group size 35 battery. Optima makes a red and yellow top in that size, or if you really want to go nuts, I have a oddyssy pc925 that works with the factory holddown and tray with a booster tray. Alot more power than the pc680 (mini battery setup) and even fits with aftermarket uicp. But if your going with a factory wet cell, look to pay $65-$85 for a decent one. Need at least 460 cca, alot are 525, can go to a 590cca in a factory wet cell type. I know this reply seems a bit in depth for just a battery, but just throwin some info out there. Go get a battery.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by azzmasta
You have a bad battery. When a battery is bad, it will show fully charged, but it wont put oout the amps. kinda like a person wen they get old, they put out 100%, but they dont pack the punch they used to. As far as the cd player goes, you need a certain voltage to hold the settings, clock too, and when the battery drops below that voltage, it cuts out. Your alternator should be putting out 13.5volts minimum. up to 14.8. But a bad battery can throw off that reading. You probably shouldnt need to add water, it only needs to be a quarter inh over the plates. If you filled it too high, Your gonna have corrosion city. Water freezes, so you need to charge a battery on 10 amps overnoght to mix the acid back in with the water. Altenator dosnt charge. Years ago, cars had "generators" in them that actually charges a bettery. An "altenator is a maintainer. It would take 24 hours of driving to actually charge the battery. All it does is puts a surface charge on the battery. You definately have a bad battery - I sell batteries for a liviing, (7 years now) -(seriously, I sell batteries. Thats it. Just batteries.) and I hear these same stories all day long. Look for a Battery Warehouse, or worst case scenario, go to Advanced or Auto zone. The evo takes a group size 35 battery. Optima makes a red and yellow top in that size, or if you really want to go nuts, I have a oddyssy pc925 that works with the factory holddown and tray with a booster tray. Alot more power than the pc680 (mini battery setup) and even fits with aftermarket uicp. But if your going with a factory wet cell, look to pay $65-$85 for a decent one. Need at least 460 cca, alot are 525, can go to a 590cca in a factory wet cell type. I know this reply seems a bit in depth for just a battery, but just throwin some info out there. Go get a battery.
In depth or not...it's all good information. Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2007, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any recommendations for a slim battery other than the pc680? I find I'm having trouble starting the car now that it's a lot colder. And the battery seems to lose a lot of starting power real fast. Granted I do have a big draw, twin pumps, m&w ignition, radiator fan hardwired...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting problem (intermittent)