Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much boost can a stock evo 8 can handle?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-rApE-
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

On the subject of gas and octain ratings I found out that the ratings are totaly diffrent. Here in europe (Germany for me) the research octain and motor octain is totaly diffrent. But I also know here in germany there is a minimum or 5% ethonal in the gas. But the octain number is lower in america.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evo86
Sparky thanks for the info Then does US has octane ratings below 91's also? (For normal cars)Anyways, how do you log the knock counts? Is it ok to get tuned in just factory ECU or would I need to buy FC.
To log, all that you need is the proper software which I think that you can get free or cheap online. One is called, Evoscan, another is called, Mitsulogger. Also, you'll need a wideband Air Fuel Ratio meter with datalogging capabilities. This will include the wideband oxygen sensor which you must install in your downpipe. There are several good widebands including Innovate, AEM UEGO, Zeitronix and others.

Get in touch with a tuner via Email. They can tune your car via Emails. You just log a test run and send them the file and they'll send you a modiied map based on your mods and your test runs.

There are many good tuners here in the U.S. that provide tuning/flash services at a surprisingly reasonable rate. Off the top of my head they include: JESTR, TTP, Mellon, Dynoflash, just to name a few of the more prominent tuners.

Check with them first if you have a non-U.S. model Evo. Some tuners do JDM ECU's whereas others don't. Also, the tuner can better advise on which wideband and datalogging software to get.

Last edited by sparky; Jan 10, 2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Nice post sparky, that's very good to know for future reference. Since he is right I would immediately turn your boost down to 19 or 20. I ran 19.5 on 91 and had no knock issues.

Also, yeah, we have 87 and 85... And some places are lucky enough to have 93 standard too...
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to go off topic, i ran 17-19psi on 91 octane, and now run between 25-30psi on race gas, (i say now because the car only runs 104 octane now. i would say a stock evo is safe around 19-22psi on pump gas
Old Jan 10, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with you EVILEVO. Are you on 91 octane in AZ? I run between 19-22# on crumby 91 octane depending on weather and state of tune which varies as sometimes we remove timing and other times we might add a bit of fuel to quell trace knock levels.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I agree with you EVILEVO. Are you on 91 octane in AZ? I run between 19-22# on crumby 91 octane depending on weather and state of tune which varies as sometimes we remove timing and other times we might add a bit of fuel to quell trace knock levels.
yeah AZ....**** water 91 here....I ran 91 in my 03 VIII, when i traded it in on my 06 IX, i ran 91 out of it and its been 104 since then......I figured race gas is cheaper then a new motor.

"remember the rods on a sotck block are NOT forged, and pencil thin!"

thats why i only ran between 17 and 19 lbs of boost on 91.

Last edited by ~EVILEVO~; Jan 10, 2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:02 AM

Forgive me if I'm asking a question already answered, but I didn't really see anything in the thread. I'm trying to figure out how much boost you can safely run in stock 8 turbo and how much HP you can push before starting to wear out stock engine components?

I've got a 03 Evo 8 with these upgrades...
Coil Packs (can't remember the company right off hand)
Downpipe
3" Catback
ETS 4" intercooler and speed density intake
TiAL Q BOV
Omni 4 Bar MAP
AEM 320 LPH fuel pump and tuned on 93
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsusailor
Forgive me if I'm asking a question already answered, but I didn't really see anything in the thread. I'm trying to figure out how much boost you can safely run in stock 8 turbo and how much HP you can push before starting to wear out stock engine components?

I've got a 03 Evo 8 with these upgrades...
Coil Packs (can't remember the company right off hand)
Downpipe
3" Catback
ETS 4" intercooler and speed density intake
TiAL Q BOV
Omni 4 Bar MAP
AEM 320 LPH fuel pump and tuned on 93
Dont think it was ever really addressed.
1) octane plays a role as pointed out above.
2) You not going to wear out your motor on anything-- except no oil.
3) You need to consider boost parameters and turbo efficiency--which I think on the VIII is around 24psi-- now that doesn't mean you cant run more, it just means your turbo wont make as much power per psi as it did on lower boost. Just like you can rev stock cams to 9k but you really stopped making power at 6k. Who cares.
4) on the how much power part-- you are going to have to add quite a bit to your set up to have that worry--so unless your going bigger turbo and cams dont worry about that today.. When you get to around 400 tq then you can reconsider the question.
5)keep in mind bigger isnt always better, and more isnt always better.
see if that helps.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:50 PM

i dont know if my following post will help anyone. but i ran my evo 8 turbo at atleast 32 pounds. my defi gauge reads to 30, and it was passed it a bit. and i was stock motor. no tune, just turned boost up and had a forge wastegate. reason for this madness, i wanted to blow my motor. and it didnt blow up. i was getting built, so i figured why not try and blow my old motor