Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust System Basics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust System Basics

I just got my 2006 Evo MR a couple months ago and I love it! It's my first turbo car and I plan to do a few upgrades to it.

Unfortunately, I'm not very educated when it comes to cars

I'm wanting to get an exhaust system but have a lot of basic and probably stupid looking questions to most of you. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated because I want to get my upgrades correct first time around! Here's the questions:

What are some of the best exhaust systems for an Evo?

Is there a performance gain/loss for this upgrade or is it mainly just for sound?

Is gas consumption effected by having an exhaust system?

Where should I buy these systems for the best price?

What's a catback and how come some systems have them and others don't?

What's this 3", 3 1/2", 4", etc. size I keep seeing thrown around and what difference does it make?

How come there are Street and Racing versions of some exhaust systems?
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

welcome i also have a GG evo MR there are a lot of different exhaust sytems for the car i am sure there are pics and threads about them all. however i have a apexi exhaust on my car with a midpipe with no cat and it is nice sounding.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor

What are some of the best exhaust systems for an Evo?

ets, buscher, ams.

Is there a performance gain/loss for this upgrade or is it mainly just for sound?

20-30 whp gains when tuned.

Is gas consumption effected by having an exhaust system?

Not really, it may go up a hair.

Where should I buy these systems for the best price?

Stated above or the f/s section.

What's a catback and how come some systems have them and others don't?

catback is just pipe from the catalitic convertor back, wih just a muffler. Turbo back is just that. A turbo back exhaust.

What's this 3", 3 1/2", 4", etc. size I keep seeing thrown around and what difference does it make?

3 inch is all you need.

How come there are Street and Racing versions of some exhaust systems?[/quote]

Bigger piping, and louder mufflers.

Go ets.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by MRfabolous
welcome i also have a GG evo MR there are a lot of different exhaust sytems for the car i am sure there are pics and threads about them all. however i have a apexi exhaust on my car with a midpipe with no cat and it is nice sounding.

Hey Mrfabolous. I'm mostly interested in the Magnaflow because I bought an OZ-Rally with it already installed and I love the sound! However I'm confused because there are posts saying Buscher Magnaflow and using the terms almost interchangeably.

Are Buscher and Magnaflow the same company or is it referring to a Buscher pipe with a Magnaflow Muffler?

Also, I did do a bit of research on the already existing threads, but it's difficult to find exact answers to the questions I've asked. Thought this would be a helpful thread for other newbies such as myself

Last edited by its123baby; Jan 19, 2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
simple fix

get a buschur turboback with a magnaflow muffler

$825 or so shipped and fits perfect

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...5e73f272e8b0a9
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Get the ETS 3.5 in. turbo back exhaust...awesome quality product. Tom will hook you up.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
simple fix

get a buschur turboback with a magnaflow muffler

$825 or so shipped and fits perfect

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...5e73f272e8b0a9
that's pretty pricey. I was thinking around the $500 price range. Would it be stupid if I just got the Magnaflow muffler?
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.buschurracing.com/

Welcome to the EVO community. Buschur Racing^ sells a good exhaust system, and a 3" Turbo back should do you fine. The muffler you get with the system is your choice. The Magnaflow is a little more quiet than their bullet muffler. However it is a little larger than the Bullet type also. I think the reason some exhaust systems state for offroad/race use only is to protect the Vendor. That is a disclaimer since it is considered against the law to run your car without a catalytic converter. So when u purchase an exhaust system, you have the option of either a high flow cat or 'off road' test pipe. The link to their website is at the top here so check it out.
They are a Mon-Fri business so feel free to call them up. You can't go wrong with an exhaust system from Buschur Racing.
Good luck
Old Jan 19, 2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by d'shark
http://www.buschurracing.com/

Welcome to the EVO community. Buschur Racing^ sells a good exhaust system, and a 3" Turbo back should do you fine. The muffler you get with the system is your choice. The Magnaflow is a little more quiet than their bullet muffler. However it is a little larger than the Bullet type also. I think the reason some exhaust systems state for offroad/race use only is to protect the Vendor. That is a disclaimer since it is considered against the law to run your car without a catalytic converter. So when u purchase an exhaust system, you have the option of either a high flow cat or 'off road' test pipe. The link to their website is at the top here so check it out.
They are a Mon-Fri business so feel free to call them up. You can't go wrong with an exhaust system from Buschur Racing.
Good luck
Very helpful information, thank you! It seems that Buschur and ETS seem to be the top 2 as far exhaust systems go, but I'm still undecided so I'm going to have to do more research.

After seeing hearing sound clips and seeing videos, I'm definitely going to go with the Magnaflow muffler. Just sounds much more ballsy and consistent.

What are the pros and cons of having a high flow cat as opposed to having the test pipe? Are catback and turboback the same thing?

Lastly, 3" seems to be the majority of the recommendations. If it goes too big does it lose power?
Old Jan 19, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

i have an Invidia 3" SS downpipe, Perrin 3" High Flow Cat, and an HKS Carbon Ti (hi-power style muffler) for the catback. in my opinion one of the ebst sounding exhausts.

it's pricey, but it looks great, and like i said, sounds awesome. i have some clips. PM me if you want to see them.

i defintely felt a noticeable gain in the butt dyno when i put it on, and then after getting a good flash i noticed a large gain. a good exhaust and tune is really one of the best sets of mods you can do to our cars. bang for the buck wise.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by its123baby
Very helpful information, thank you! It seems that Buschur and ETS seem to be the top 2 as far exhaust systems go, but I'm still undecided so I'm going to have to do more research.

After seeing hearing sound clips and seeing videos, I'm definitely going to go with the Magnaflow muffler. Just sounds much more ballsy and consistent.

What are the pros and cons of having a high flow cat as opposed to having the test pipe? Are catback and turboback the same thing?

Lastly, 3" seems to be the majority of the recommendations. If it goes too big does it lose power?
No problem. I have the Magnaflow and love it, a friend of mine has the bullet and wishes he had mine. If you have to worry about your neighbor when u wake up in the morning to go to work........or if you are worried about being bugged by the cops, go with the Magnaflow. As far as the cat is concerned, it's your call. Some States do vehicle inspections every year and might inspect your car a little more closely. If you have that to deal with, go with the High Flow Cat. Catback is from the catalytic converter back, which retains all the factory exhaust from the turbo to the converter. The turboback replaces the entire system for a more free flowing/less restrictive exhaust, thereby freeing up more power. As far as the size is concerned, 3" is the standard. It is regarded by most that you only need a larger system for 'FREAKY POWER LEVELS' 700 WHP +
Remember if you get a full exhaust system you should probably get a boost controller and a tune