Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Air Intake vs. Stock Box

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur Air Intake vs. Stock Box

I got my Evo IX MR last October, and purchased a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Buschur turboback exhaust, Forge mbc, Buschur cone filter air intake, and a flash from Dynoflash. Once I got the ECU flashed and everything put on the car, I started getting all kinds of ECU codes related to "System too Lean" or "O2 Sensor Stuck Lean". I checked the front O2 sensor and it was fine, I have the check engine light fix on the rear one so it wasn't that either.

Finally, in desperation I took the car in to the dealer and the tech (who is very cool about modded Evo's actually) told me that if I put the stock airbox back in and brought the car back he would fix the problem. With the cone filter installed, he can't do anything for me. I tried sending the ECU back to Al at Dynoflash but he could find no errors in the program or the ECU itself, so finally I put the stock airbox back on to take it back to the dealer, and now the car runs smoothly, sounds better and I have no problems with it!

Can anyone figure out what's going on? Are all the cone filters pretty much the same? I am of course tempted to keep the stock box in if it is going to clear up the problem, but I don't understand why it was that much of a difference. Sorry for the long post, but any wisdom and insight anyone can provide is most appreciated.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

was it just the cone filter, or did you have the whole MAF pipe kit?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

I personally just have the cone filter & I dont have any problems for 6 months.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:16 AM

It was just the cone filter. I want to get a pipe kit to get rid of that flimsy rubber hose going to the turbo intake, but I need to get this mystery resolved first!
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

i went straight to the pipe kit with mine, and i've never had a single issue with it
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like there was an install issue with the MAF....My guess is that air was getting into the intake (pipe not on properly) after the MAF sensor causing the system to run lean...
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe filter oil got on MAF?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:51 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Put it back on and take it to or work with a tuner that can actually log the car and see whats going on. You need a rear-o2 fooler installed ($5 to make, really easy), and then just some simple scaling done of the factory MAS. This will make your car run smoother, an aftermarket intake can screw up how the mas reads under different conditions, the most common is a poor idle, which can cause all sorts of other problems (like you are describing).
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:02 AM

The MAF sensor is brand new, so it's not anything wrong with that. I do have a rear o2 fooler installed, so it is not that. And all of the errors indicated something in the engine bay, not elsewhere.

Sounds like I need to keep the stock box in for now, and when I get a few hundred dollars, take a drive out to AMS in Chicago for a tune.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you got your TBE from Buschur and u have a test pipe they send a o2 fix with it. well atleast i did. well u didn't have the kit so i bet when u installe your cone filter there might have been a leak or something causing your MAF readings to go bad. I suggest getting the pipe kit and install it properly. you would probably need to get a reflash to rescale you MAF.

Last edited by andrewzaragoza; Jan 27, 2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
when you have an open air filter you need a tune for it,did you tell al that you had an open airfilter on your car? or maybe when you installed the air filter you didnt install it correctly?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:08 AM

I got the hi-flow cat with the buschur turboback exhaust, but they gave me the o2 fix anyway just in case. The codes I was getting don't seem to be related to this.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:09 AM

I checked the install several times and I can't see any place where it could have been installed incorrectly - it's not exactly a complicated installation. And I did send the ECU back to Al to be sure the tune incorporated the intake, so that is why I am so puzzled here...
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Come to the ECUFlash forum and we will help you out. Make sure you have good logs of your fuel trims at idle and cruise and it also would help if you have WB data.

This should be a relatively simple fix. Also, do you have the breather hose that goes from the valve cover to your turbo intake pipe still in place or do you have one of the Bushcur breather filters? If you have a breather filter, get rid of it now and put the breather hose back on.

Open a thread in the ECUFlash forums. You should get plenty of replies and I will jump in where necessary.

Eric

Edit: I am assuming that you have an ECUFlash cable or access to one, maybe from a friend. If not, then it's your call whether you wan't help fixing/tuning this yourself with an ECUFlash cable (buying one) or to bring it to a pro tuner in person. Either way, I would still recommend posting your question and logs in the ECUFlash forum. This may be a simple hardware fix and need additional tuning (like the breather hose).

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jan 27, 2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Do alot of people have problems or pull codes with just any intake system? I am sure it just not a Buschur setup. It could be any setup. Yes or No?

Quick Reply: Buschur Air Intake vs. Stock Box