Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo Not Running Right After Storage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Not Running Right After Storage

I had the car in storage for the past 4 months. While it was down, I decided to port the intake manifold so a lot of the electrical connections and engine parts were disconnected and placed aside. Still had a little bit of fuel in it, drained all the fluids, and disconnected the battery. Update to last night...

The car is backfiring and running rich/lean like random. I was throwing 3 CEL's: low voltage TPS, low voltage of some other sensor, and mass volume sensor malfunction. I got it down to just the last one now. A friend commented that the symptoms I'm describing is pointing to a MAF issue. I originally thought it was bad gas, but adding 5 gallons of Shell did nadda.

The weirdest part of all is when I hook up the OBD2 cable to read codes, that works great. I then run ECUFlash to read my ROM and it won't connect no matter what I try! The Apexi SAFC2 was weird also. I couldn't change the fuel trim from 0%. Instead it said something ERROR and wouldn't let me change it. I have a feeling my MAF is shot or just needs a cleaning.

Last edited by silex; Feb 10, 2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
sounds like your battery might be going bad
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Battery is going bad so I can't connect to my ECU with ECUFlash or adjust fuel with the SAFC2? The battery just starts the car; the alternator keeps it running. I have since jumped it and have restarted the car with no issues.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats not really long enough to have any real issues... I have a feeling you missed a couple plugs while reinstalling...

Coming from a guy who did a motor build with couple friends, its the stupidest things you miss and that will **** you the **** off. Check everything, even stuff youre 110% you did properly. I have a feeling something is loose or not plugged in...

Cheers!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

I know what you're saying 4WS. I guess I'll have to do a 4th run through to see if I missed something. In the mean time, I've attached pics of the CELS I threw and the error ECUFlash is giving me. For the CELS, after resetting I am just left with P0102 after resetting the codes. Also, the SAFC2 is specifically not letting me deviate off the 0% mark and instead says OMIT in its place.

Last edited by silex; Feb 11, 2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may sound silly, but are you sure the MAF connector is fully seated? Sounds like it is disconnected to me. The TPS sensor needs to be calibrated after you removed it and put it back on. That is your TPS code.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

The TPS sensor is attached to the throttle body I presume? Calibrated how? Like floor the petal and turn the key to the "ON" position?

I will check the MAF plug again when I get back, but I think the MAF CEL is related to having the SAFC2 plugged in when starting the car. There might be a loose wire somewhere or a plug I missed.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Go Scott go!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by silex
Battery is going bad so I can't connect to my ECU with ECUFlash or adjust fuel with the SAFC2? The battery just starts the car; the alternator keeps it running. I have since jumped it and have restarted the car with no issues.
i meant alternator, sorry. and yes a low voltage situation could cause those problems
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to update saying that the cause of my problems ended up being the SAFC2. Without it in, the car runs like a champ! Still pulled a P0220 (TPS low voltage), but I have since reset it today so hopefully it won't come back.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

did you solder or did you just vamp tap it to the ecu harness? (or plugnplay harness?) if u soldered it, maybe u had a cold joint and it came loose during your storage? or the same reason for the vamp taps.... the fact that you cant adjust the fuel trim tells me to look there first.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

It was so t-tapped BTW, fixed the TPS low voltage problem. It wasn't within spec of 0.53-0.73v at idle. Reason being I had the throttle body removed and took of the TPS sensor and neglected to calibrate it when I put it back on.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

how'd you re-calibrate the damn thing?