Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another Clutch Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
Do you plan on launching the car a lot? If not, I HIGHLY recommend a Southbend OFE, they can hold tons and tons of torque and are feather light on the left foot. Price is in your budget as well. Search on here for my install/review (just search for southbend).
I'm curious what you mean by launching "a lot". I'm on the market for a clutch for my 03 (not slipping yet, but the shifting is getting a bit irregular), its got a bunch of goodies on it (ams 35r, cams, etc) and I wouldn't mind taking it out to the track on occasion but I don't want something thats possibly questionable for the abuse, since I drive the car every day and would rather not have it laid up with a dead clutch. I have been looking at twin disc clutches, and am not afraid of the investment, but thats still a pile of cash that i'd rather put somewhere else.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
All scott did was take the XT pressure plate and add that with the HD disc.
This information is false.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:31 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxman51
I'm curious what you mean by launching "a lot". I'm on the market for a clutch for my 03 (not slipping yet, but the shifting is getting a bit irregular), its got a bunch of goodies on it (ams 35r, cams, etc) and I wouldn't mind taking it out to the track on occasion but I don't want something thats possibly questionable for the abuse, since I drive the car every day and would rather not have it laid up with a dead clutch. I have been looking at twin disc clutches, and am not afraid of the investment, but thats still a pile of cash that i'd rather put somewhere else.
Then don't screw around and just get an exedy twin-disc. I too drive my evo every day and while the southbend is freaking awesome for holding torque and being very driveable w/ light pedal pressure, I don't really plan on launching it ever again. I know its kinda a catch22 but I just don't plan on launching the car ever, I never need to, never really want to.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Had the Fidanza 3.2 on my VIII for almost 28k miles and I have driven the 4.3 before as well in a IX. The 3.2 was very smooth after break in. Of course one poster did not like it or the ceramic but it all depends on the driver and how it was used or abused. I know a few guys running them without issue.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLKLIST
Had the Fidanza 3.2 on my VIII for almost 28k miles and I have driven the 4.3 before as well in a IX. The 3.2 was very smooth after break in. Of course one poster did not like it or the ceramic but it all depends on the driver and how it was used or abused. I know a few guys running them without issue.
I believe the fidanza 3.2 is kevlar
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I believe the fidanza 3.2 is kevlar
Correct, 3.2 is kevlar and the 4.3 is ceramic.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah so 3.2 or 4.3? Im on the verge of buying one myself....need more feedback on these Fidanza kits. PLEASE ADVISE...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 23r0k001
Yeah so 3.2 or 4.3? Im on the verge of buying one myself....need more feedback on these Fidanza kits. PLEASE ADVISE...
Pm'd you
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:12 AM
Account Disabled

The only quality parts Fidanza sells are their camgears.

Their clutches and flywheels are not recommended.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The only quality parts Fidanza sells are their camgears.

Their clutches and flywheels are not recommended.
Not my experience or many others. To each his own in wonderful Forum land.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Warrtalon had tested the EXEDY 4 puck cerametallic unit and he liked it at first. In my opinion, it exhibits too much 1st gear chatter for someone who does not want vibrations from a stiff engine mount.
Scott- Is that the Exedy Stage 2 that you are talking about ^^ ?

That's what I'm using and I agree. When the clutch/car is cold, 1st and reverse are fine....you can slip the clutch a little and get the car moving cleanly and without chatter. Once it's warmed up it's another ballgame, lots of chatter...it's embarrassing...people look at you like you've never driven a stick(been driving stick for 20 years now).

But it does hold power great and shifting, once moving, is superb. I'd really like to get something with less chatter though. Are the twins like this?

Does the ACT chatter?

Sorry to the OP, I hope my questions aren't too off topic and that my experience is atleast somewhat helpful in your decision.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:29 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvilTechnology
Scott- Is that the Exedy Stage 2 that you are talking about ^^ ?

That's what I'm using and I agree. When the clutch/car is cold, 1st and reverse are fine....you can slip the clutch a little and get the car moving cleanly and without chatter. Once it's warmed up it's another ballgame, lots of chatter...it's embarrassing...people look at you like you've never driven a stick(been driving stick for 20 years now).

But it does hold power great and shifting, once moving, is superb. I'd really like to get something with less chatter though. Are the twins like this?

Does the ACT chatter?

Sorry to the OP, I hope my questions aren't too off topic and that my experience is atleast somewhat helpful in your decision.
ACT makes many versions. Some chatter, some will not. Send me a PM and we can discuss the best unit for your individual application.

The twins can chatter slightly also in 1st.