Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

shep tranny/ 1 & 2 doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shep tranny/ 1 & 2 doesn't work

after 4 weeks of waiting, I got my tranmission back and it will not go into 1st or 2nd gear. 3rd, 4th, 5th, and reverse work fine. will they cover the fluid, labor, and shipping costs to fix this problem. Shep is out sick and I won't hear back from them till tomorrow. I am broke with no more to spend, so I am very nervous to hear from them to know if they are going to fix the problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:30 AM
Account Disabled

Did you try to adjust the shift cable ?

AL
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boosted EVO 9
after 4 weeks of waiting, I got my tranmission back and it will not go into 1st or 2nd gear. 3rd, 4th, 5th, and reverse work fine. will they cover the fluid, labor, and shipping costs to fix this problem. Shep is out sick and I won't hear back from them till tomorrow. I am broke with no more to spend, so I am very nervous to hear from them to know if they are going to fix the problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Weird... Shep is a good guy,im sure he will fix it at no additional charge. Just talk to him and tell him what the issue is. Im sure he can give u some suggestions on what the problem may be Good luck
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Did you let the car warm up? Sometimes when my car is cold it doesnt go into 1st and 2nd until it warms up or you kind of have to use some muscle.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

have you checked if the base where the shifting cables hook up to, bacause when i droped my tranny to put the clutch, trying to put it back in I bent the base that is mounted on the tranny for the cables, I had a hard time shifting the 1st and second gears. I had the car completely lift up on four stands and with a pry bar with everything hooked up except the battery( for prying space) kept bending it back and forth until I got it just right. sadly i crashed my car two days later. lol in stands so you can start the car and shift through gears.

Last edited by bevolucion; Feb 14, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Did you try to adjust the shift cable ?

AL
we disconnected the shift linkage, and still no first or second.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beemerfreak
Did you let the car warm up? Sometimes when my car is cold it doesnt go into 1st and 2nd until it warms up or you kind of have to use some muscle.
car ran and warmed up for awhile.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

sometimes i have a hard time gettin my TRE tranny to shift into first or reverse so i just shift threw the gears a little then it pops right in
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It sounds like alot of people tolerate crappy shifting. You should never have to force or muscle your car into gear whether cold or not. A notchy feel is normal..... meaning you feel it catch the gear but it shouldn't grind at all. Outside of that something is jacked up.

To the OP you can reuse the fluids that are in there. But labor to remove and labor to reinstall wont be covered. At ***best*** shipping will be but even that is a reach for some shops.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

John is a real good guy, but I wouldn't expect him to pay for the uninstall and reinstall. Trust me I know how you feel. I have a Shep tranny and trans case and mine leaks, but it was because of the installer not using both O rings. Good luck to you man, I hope you are able to get everything resolved.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

cheack where the smaller shifter bushing goes on that arm. that little part that pulls the shifter rod up and down might be shaved down a little bit and sliding under the back part of the the rod. i had that prob with mine. wish i had my tranny here so i could take pics of it to show you what i mean.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Are you saying the trans wont go into geat by manually moving the levers on the trans with no Cable?. I smell install error. If not Shipping damage. I cant beleive a trans was assembled and not checked to see if it would go in all gears. I also think it the installer should check that before putting it in the car.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitey4d
Are you saying the trans wont go into geat by manually moving the levers on the trans with no Cable?. I smell install error. If not Shipping damage. I cant beleive a trans was assembled and not checked to see if it would go in all gears. I also think it the installer should check that before putting it in the car.
yes cable undone will not go into 1 or 2. def not shipping. it was packed very well with reinforced walls. I'll find out tomorrow if John wants us to pull it and send it back again. we didn't not check before install because dry with no fluid, and its a shep tranny, assumed it would be perfect.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:47 PM
Account Disabled

john will take care of you,is this the 1st time dong the an evo trans install?maybe its a small install error or something.shep trans has A+++++ customer service so be easy!!!please keep us updated as to what went wrong.good luck
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I can promise the trans was checked before it was shipped, was it checked before it was installed?

Quick Reply: shep tranny/ 1 & 2 doesn't work