Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

**Stock Manifold porting debate**

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
^it takes like 30 minutes to take the manifold off. the porting can benefit as the flange on the manifold that connects to the turbo is not even close to the same size. the ports to the head are very close to the stock ports on the head and not nearly as much porting is done. if someone gasket matches the exhaust manifold gasket between the head they are crazy and wasting a bunch of time as the gasket is larger then both the head ports and the manifold ports. and since you can't realistically open out the entire length of the manfiold to have the same diameter all the way through, opening it up that far may hurt more then it helps.
Still a waste of time IMO. A lot of the time the bolts are seized into the turbo anyhow which is a pain in the ***.

We are in agreement about the head ports.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Still a waste of time IMO. A lot of the time the bolts are seized into the turbo anyhow which is a pain in the ***.

I think you've stated your opinion more than once... I bet 80% of the forum is against that opinion...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

I think maybe a little bit more than 80%. How about a good......97%...lol
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TKEVO
I think maybe a little bit more than 80%. How about a good......97%...lol
I was being nice by giving him 20% of the forum... I personally like 3% better.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boltz.

PB blaster is great... I spray it every 5 min for 30 min and everything comes apart very, very easy. They sell it everyone.. walmart, home depot, car places etc

Cheers!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

LOL....yea so maybe he can go put that on another forum that ported manifolds are a waste. Oh and let the other couple hundred other evo owners it's not worth it. OK......GO!....lol
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it helps but ported intake side will always see more benefits than ported exhaust side.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and coatings are a waste of money, its only good for fluids that are liguid not air. it really does nothing. That is what i was told by a mechanical engineer.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Last week on ebay I was bidding on an exhaust manifold from a wrecked BR350 car. I got outbid by none other than Dave Buschur himself. Thanks Dave! I was bidding only to turn around and sell it for a profit.

Porting is worth a few HP on big HP cars but I'm not sure if its worth the trouble on the stock turbo. Granted pulling the manifold alone is pretty straight forward but you still risk breaking bolts, stripping threads, and skinning knuckles.

How much does it help on the stock turbo? I don't know. Lots of 9 owners are running 11s without porting. In my case I'm out of fuel, out of gear, and out of boost. So porting the manifold may not help me much.

The real question is whether its worth sticking money into port work over other mods. If you are at the end of your mod list then it may be worth while. I don't think its worth it on the stock setup.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lemmonhead
it helps but ported intake side will always see more benefits than ported exhaust side.
The intake porting yields more hp when teamed up with a 65mm TB. Your average gain on that is 15whp. Now a ported manifold can gain 10whp. I have logged it myself. I have probably ported around 30 manifolds by now. Some with smaller ports to match the head and some larger but on an axis shaped just like a velocity stack and that seemed to work out just fine. I in no way lost any power. I have also logged a ported stocker up to a megan manifold. I can make a ported stocker have larger walls then the megan. I spend that extra time. Not only gaining a little more hp but the ported stocker yields more torque.

I will be doing another logging session this sunday with 4WS and an 05 meth car. Porting his manifold and hotside. The DLL gives us a very good comparison of a before and after. Then retuning will give an even bigger gain. Should have a total of 3 graph comparisons.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Last week on ebay I was bidding on an exhaust manifold from a wrecked BR350 car. I got outbid by none other than Dave Buschur himself. Thanks Dave! I was bidding only to turn around and sell it for a profit.

Porting is worth a few HP on big HP cars but I'm not sure if its worth the trouble on the stock turbo. Granted pulling the manifold alone is pretty straight forward but you still risk breaking bolts, stripping threads, and skinning knuckles.

How much does it help on the stock turbo? I don't know. Lots of 9 owners are running 11s without porting. In my case I'm out of fuel, out of gear, and out of boost. So porting the manifold may not help me much.

The real question is whether its worth sticking money into port work over other mods. If you are at the end of your mod list then it may be worth while. I don't think its worth it on the stock setup.
Not worth it? You can get your stock manifold ported anywhere from 100-130. That is without coating. Coating a cast manifold to me is just for looks. You will gain an average of 10whp with this mod. That is $10 per HP. That is not bad at all. An intake doesn't make that yet I see people spending almost $300 for one of those. I see UICP's going for $275. Yet they still have a stock manifold and 02 housing. See Jeff everything adds up. All the little mods that can be done that you think wont affect you because they show little gains will definitely lower that quarter mile time of yours for more bragging rights.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Not worth it? You can get your stock manifold ported anywhere from 100-130. That is without coating. Coating a cast manifold to me is just for looks. You will gain an average of 10whp with this mod. That is $10 per HP. That is not bad at all. An intake doesn't make that yet I see people spending almost $300 for one of those. I see UICP's going for $275. Yet they still have a stock manifold and 02 housing. See Jeff everything adds up. All the little mods that can be done that you think wont affect you because they show little gains will definitely lower that quarter mile time of yours for more bragging rights.
Now that is what I like to hear. Rev I didn't know you ported till this thread. That's good to know. Question I have an Invidia O2 can you port those just because I don't think I will be able to sell it as much?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

I told you TKEvo...

I need to get my manifold and o2 housing so I can do more of this...

with funds...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TKEVO
Now that is what I like to hear. Rev I didn't know you ported till this thread. That's good to know. Question I have an Invidia O2 can you port those just because I don't think I will be able to sell it as much?
I thought you once messaged me and sent you some pics. I'll send them to you. I will be taking pictures of the new one for my friend this week. Also the invidia 02 is pretty large. I do not see why you would need it ported.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
Not worth it? You can get your stock manifold ported anywhere from 100-130. That is without coating. Coating a cast manifold to me is just for looks. You will gain an average of 10whp with this mod. That is $10 per HP.
I see your point but only if you really get 10whp from it.

I like looking at these pictures:
http://www.paradigmperformance.net/p.../manifold.html

Quick Reply: **Stock Manifold porting debate**