Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

**Stock Manifold porting debate**

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TKEVO
Everyone go for different setups and have a normal life than sittin in their cars. I love my car but I don't need to spend every minute in it.Agreed, which is why I don't need to do every little useless mod to go fast, I have a life outside my car. Alot of people get aftermarket manifolds and Im going for a different look at the moment.I can appriciate that, and even the best aftermarket manifolds for stock turbo are useless, I personally believe it has to do with the PR between the intake and exhaust I will have fun porting cause that is something I can do at the moment. I also appriciate that, its your car, and if you want to port match the turbo/manifold connection because you have time and want to work on the ride thats cool, its not going to hurt at all but power gains will be minimal if not negligible.
My replies are in bold. No hard feelings but I have reasons for my beliefs and my results have always backed them up. Have fun modding
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going for 400 and if I dont get the results I want with the mods I'm getting then....well you know upgrade something
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Numbers are numbers. You could go to a higher reading dyno and manipulate it to read higher. You just want to be able to say you have 400hp? What are you going to even do with the caR??
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

400 is my limit. It's also a daily driver. I would be happy with 400. Just to say you have 400hp doesn't mean anything to me.

Mod wise?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boltz.
Numbers are numbers. You could go to a higher reading dyno and manipulate it to read higher. You just want to be able to say you have 400hp? What are you going to even do with the caR??
Its all a numbers game. Making a certain HP is just as important to some as hitting a certain track time to others. Track times are like dyno numbers. You can go to another dyno and make different numbers but you can also go to another track and hit different times. Both are broad statements. Take my car for example. Cars run similar times that I do but I make 30whp more than them. I also race on the worst track in the US. I will put money I can go to another track and drop 2 tenths off my time. I can also take my car to a lower reading dyno and lose some bragging rights. Unless evey one is on the same dyno or at the same track both those can't intertwine to its fullest.

Now to answer your question of what he wants to do that is very simple. he wants to build a 400hp car. That is the cars main goal. He is doing it for him.

Last edited by RevMoto; Feb 20, 2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yep yep true also Im about 5000ft above sea level so yea that will effect my (cough) numbers. 400HP is a good number.

Still haven't answered my question since you had the fastest evo with stock turbo, what do you have on yours?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:48 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what are the results
Originally Posted by RevMoto
The intake porting yields more hp when teamed up with a 65mm TB. Your average gain on that is 15whp. Now a ported manifold can gain 10whp. I have logged it myself. I have probably ported around 30 manifolds by now. Some with smaller ports to match the head and some larger but on an axis shaped just like a velocity stack and that seemed to work out just fine. I in no way lost any power. I have also logged a ported stocker up to a megan manifold. I can make a ported stocker have larger walls then the megan. I spend that extra time. Not only gaining a little more hp but the ported stocker yields more torque.

I will be doing another logging session this sunday with 4WS and an 05 meth car. Porting his manifold and hotside. The DLL gives us a very good comparison of a before and after. Then retuning will give an even bigger gain. Should have a total of 3 graph comparisons.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Nice name but empty sig.? Who is talking?
there happy? my SN is from experience. i drive my friends cars at the track, and i beat there PR/PB what ever u wanna call it. and fixed my sig for you. you got me in HP and ET, but when driving counts, i got you just like my SN says. lmfao.

edit : i know my personal 60' isnt the best but i got you. and my SN in my experience is still true, id love to set a record for you
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
there happy? my SN is from experience. i drive my friends cars at the track, and i beat there PR/PB what ever u wanna call it. and fixed my sig for you. you got me in HP and ET, but when driving counts, i got you just like my SN says. lmfao.

edit : i know my personal 60' isnt the best but i got you. and my SN in my experience is still true, id love to set a record for you
I just see a 60' foot and not a time. You don't have me beat. I was doing this spinning. I was also on the stock clutch till I destroyed it in a race. I have a much faster car than you. I am also racing on the worst track in the U.S. I am moving to orlando this summer and that track is 10X better. If you are bragging about a 1.7 60' then you are no driver. I still don't see what records you have broken.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Just another comment: Last time on CBRD's Mustang dyno 8/31/07.. 285 whp-253Torque... Insulated and gold foiled Injen U/L I/C pipes-cone filter..Milltek Exhaust with Cat..$50.ebay wrapped headers..unwrapped/not coated 02 housing..Walbro and CB's tuning,everything else STOCK. (CHANGING) to..Ported/coated intake mani..ported T/B..Ported/coated stock exhaust mani...ported/coated 02..ported/coated hotside...I will post the results when it's done. Pete
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lemmonhead
what are the results
Doing this sunday if everything works out. We have a dyno in my friends shop. Dyno'd it last night at 371whp. I am porting the manifold for it right now.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Back on the subject. I am working on a manifold as we speak. I just did to ports to show you comparison to the stock and how much I smoothed it out. I will update with pics as soon as I finish. Should be another couple of hours.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

That's coo I would like to see some. The pics I have seen of your work were real good
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Your friend is an idiot. I dont know where people make this sh*t up anymore. Without head porting.. like... wtf?

Anyway, like others said, the ported stock manifold is good for some power, especially for the low cost. The ceramic coating wont give you additional power, but it will keep the manifold looking much nicer and corrosion free. The stock cast manifolds look very ugly without the coating so for the price, Id get it.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Thegame
Looking through that perspective... How does adding a catback add power??? How does adding a turboback add power? It's the exact same principle on a smaller scale.
it doesnt add anything it just free's it up......larger turbo,cams, n02 that adds power.....do some match porting....

Quick Reply: **Stock Manifold porting debate**