Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why use other mods, if increasing boost can get the power you want...?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why use other mods, if increasing boost can get the power you want...?

Hello All, I have a friend who has an EVO V, and had to get cams, headers and many other mods to get to about 300 WHP with 1.2 bar boost...

My car on the other hand just has a modified head, and a boost of 1.5 bar and also getting 300 WHP...

What is the difference? Would it be worthwhile for me to get the other mods and lower my boost? On paper it seems like they are both thesame, and the cost of my mods are a lot less...why would people spend more if it is just thesame, and you can just increase boost?

sorry if this seems like a noob question...
Old Feb 23, 2008, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can only pump in so much air before you need to upgrade with the bolt-ons. Also most of what your talking about creates a faster spool.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

Ah thanks, now it makes sense...maybe for 300WHP, which is not the crazy for our cars, increasing boost can work...but then the turbo will be worked harder and probably not last as long...

For more than 300WHP then other bolt ons are needed...

Is this a true statement:? Having other mods help increase power aside from increasing boost, will give less stress to the engine.

For being able to track the car and drive it hard longer...it is better to have lower boost, cams, headers to get the power?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

Which mods exactly help create faster spool? When you say faster spool, it means that the boost will start coming in at an earlier RPM? Or just spool faster when you are off the throttle say in 5,000 RPM and get back on the throttle, you'll be able to achive full bosst faster?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

Just throwing this out there as a technical comment about increasing boost. I don't know if there is a difference is turbos from the V to the VII.

One thing about increasing boost is if you start to increase boost and start to go beyond the efficiency of the turbo itself then the turbo will increase the air temps even more which will in turn decrease the charge density (less amount of air per unit volume) which becomes counterproductive at a certain point.

Just another thing to look into when comparing the difference between his setup and your setup. Hope this helps.

Last edited by .50 Cal Cow; Feb 23, 2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, so I guess as a rule of thumb, the lowest boost needed to achieve the power you want is really more ideal....

What is a good next mod to do with this car...? I am looking for driveability more than peak power, as I use my car for DD and as a weekend track warrior...

Headers?
Cams?
Any other bolt on mods?

Any brands I should look into?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're also running around + 7.36psi more boost pressure than he is.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

No hes more like only 4.3 psi more.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by exacc
Hello All, I have a friend who has an EVO V, and had to get cams, headers and many other mods to get to about 300 WHP with 1.2 bar boost...

My car on the other hand just has a modified head, and a boost of 1.5 bar and also getting 300 WHP...

What is the difference? Would it be worthwhile for me to get the other mods and lower my boost? On paper it seems like they are both thesame, and the cost of my mods are a lot less...why would people spend more if it is just thesame, and you can just increase boost?

sorry if this seems like a noob question...
LOL... Let me tell you a few things:

1) Your friends turbo will last longer
2) Your friends turbo can also run 1.5 bars
3) It gets to a point where more boost equals less torque and less power

Carlos
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by exacc
Which mods exactly help create faster spool? When you say faster spool, it means that the boost will start coming in at an earlier RPM? Or just spool faster when you are off the throttle say in 5,000 RPM and get back on the throttle, you'll be able to achive full bosst faster?
Anything that will shorten the path of the air intake all the way to the runners of the intake on the cuylinder head. Shape of pipining, diameter of piping, smoothness of piping, WGA, BOV, air filter design, air filter material all of the compennets that I mentioned have to do with the spool up.

Carlos
Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

lol just get a 2.3 if you want that ultimate spool up. all depends what you want to do and how much money you have to spend