Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PLEASE!!! ANY ONE using Supertech DUAL Springs and Retainers Chime in!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE!!! ANY ONE using Supertech DUAL Springs and Retainers Chime in!

First off : I would like to say I am VERY stressed out...

I installed Supertech Dual Springs and Ti Retainers over the weekend.. It was an absolute nightmare to say the least (Pulled the head off and all of that jazz)..

I bought these from a member on the board and he was supposed to ship me "everything" needed for the installation.. I trusted him because he said he has had a few sets on his car prior to these... I received the following: 16 dual springs, 16 retainers, 16 seats, a brand new Head Gasket, and 16 new OEM valve seals..

I saw a thread posted today stating that the guy was using OEM valve seals and had problems with blue smoking one start-up.. It turned out that he used 8 new OEM valve seals on the intake side and then 8 USED OEM valve seals on the exhaust side.. Then TTP and other vendors chimed in and stated that you need a smaller (in diameter) sized valve seal that Supertech sells now? When I usually see vendors selling the Supertech Dual springs.. I have never seen the seals included.. so I wouldn't see why they would sell them without including these NEEDED valve seals..

Well needless to say .. I installed the dual springs and retainers with the NEW OEM valve seals.. and I noticed that the Supertech Seat would not go over the stock valve seal.. so I had to pull those out anyways and replace with new oem seals.. but once again.. It looked like I needed a small size in diameter valve seal for these dual springs...

So after all of the rambling.. Here is my question(s)..

Who is using the Dual Springs from Supertech with NEW oem seals... and what is your experience with these? How long has it lasted you (mile or time) thus far??

I realize that the valve seals are probably rubbing against the Springs ... so what is the worst thing that will happen to my car? I really do not want to go back and redo EVERYTHING again.. It is such a PITA.. and Yes, I am mechanically inclined... I would just pay a shop to redo it.. but there are none around here that I would trust doing this ... and I'm serious about that.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so worried!!!!!!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

hey man its Steve, hit me up when you see this
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Steve, I'm in the market to build my drivetrain, if you could answer the question in here that would be great...
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
hey man its Steve, hit me up when you see this
I'm talking to you now man.

Every one else that has these... PLEASE chime in!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

i bought a super tech dual spring set that came with valve seals... im assuming that these are the smaller ones?!?!?!?! came someone chime in and let us know if the seal that come with the kit are the correct ones?!?!?

on another note i had a buddy that installed the standard ones and he is smoking now
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

You need smaller diameter valve seals with the dual spring setup.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike.p
i bought a super tech dual spring set that came with valve seals... im assuming that these are the smaller ones?!?!?!?! came someone chime in and let us know if the seal that come with the kit are the correct ones?!?!?

on another note i had a buddy that installed the standard ones and he is smoking now
How long did it take for him to start smoking? And did he RE USE the stock seals or did he have a brand new pack of 16 OEM seals?

If yours came from Supertech with seals.. then yours are the right ones.. I bought mine from a seller on here..
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chris@JNZtuning
You need smaller diameter valve seals with the dual spring setup.
I do realize this.. but I used the a brand new pack of OEM seals.. I am just wondering how long it will be okay for like this ... Steve at Top Level Auto said that Supertech used to not say that you needed a different valve seals other than OEM.. until they started getting a few complaints on people's car smoking and what not.. but they said they some people have had good luck with the oem seals... Steve also mentioned that if your car is okay after 100 miles, then they should be fine from then on.. but could not guarantee it.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
How long did it take for him to start smoking? And did he RE USE the stock seals or did he have a brand new pack of 16 OEM seals?

If yours came from Supertech with seals.. then yours are the right ones.. I bought mine from a seller on here..
he used brand new oem seals....
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

he used brand new oem seals....
Do you know after how long it started to smoke????
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

not very long after
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

not very long after
) " :
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You WILL need 6.6 valve stem seals.....the OEM seals are right up against the inside spring, it will only be a matter of time before then get ripped off the valve guide...
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is most dissappointing about this is that the seals are only like $10-12 for the set of 16.

However I don't think the seller "screwed" you over, what is most confusing is how he has "sold 3-4 sets of springs and retainers" here in the forums without being a registered vendor.

This is probably something the administrators should look into.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to use there valve seals, that has always been the case. Its not a new thing.

Quick Reply: PLEASE!!! ANY ONE using Supertech DUAL Springs and Retainers Chime in!