Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo VIII vs Evo IX : tuning potential

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VIII vs Evo IX : tuning potential

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask your opinions about these 2 type of engines.
Which would react better to heavy mods/high horsepower ? (evo 8 or evo 9 engine)
I'm thinking of getting an Evo IX but am afraid there's less things I can do with it.
Do help me on this, I tried searching but all that came out was people comparing 8 vs 9 turbos.

Thanks guys.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

IX is beast..
VIII and IX turbo are diffrent.. and Mivec kicka$$... IX jump more HP dyno compare VIII i seen at my event dynos.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

unless your building an 800 hp drag car the ix beats 8's hands down, if you plan on going over that then just get an 8 because all of the 9's perks are pretty much not beneficial
Old Apr 5, 2008, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a lot about the 9 that makes it better than the 8 besides MIVEC...

the stock cams are very well suited to the engine
the timing belt is stronger
the head gasket is better
the turbo has more potential
the ECU has a much larger & more capable ROM
the stock BOV is stronger
the intake manifold has an IAT location
Old Apr 5, 2008, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

IX responds very well to mods much better than the VIII. Like said above, anything over a certain limit then it's not as much of a concern. You can accomplish 400-500 whp cheaper with an IX compared to an VIII.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 05:03 AM
JKD
Evolving Member

The Evo IX definately has it's perks out of the box. But, if your going for that much power (800whp) I think the difference between the VIII and the IX isn't that important. Like the guy stated earlier, the IX has some better stuff from the factory, but if your shooting for the moon your changing that stuff out anyways. Good luck!
Old Apr 5, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

You need to define what you mean by "high horsepower", and you'll need to figure out what kind of fuel you'll be running. IMO, the IX block is hands-down better, because of all the above mentioned reasons and because it cools better (redesigned cooling passages in the block and head). Unless you're shooting for a 42R powered drag car, I'd say go with the IX.

l8r)
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

I think most people will benefit more with an IX. I dont think you need to be looking for 800hp before they even out though. There are WAY more 500whp evo8s than there are evo9s on 93 oct only.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^Thats because IX's were only made for 1yr whereas the VIII's were made for 3yrs. Obviously there is alot more VIII's around. Given the same circumstances a IX would make 500whp before an VIII and spool sooner.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Get an IX. Stronger then the VIII stock. The IX spool much faster then the VIII.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by topsecret
Hi guys,

I'd like to ask your opinions about these 2 type of engines.
Which would react better to heavy mods/high horsepower ? (evo 8 or evo 9 engine)
I'm thinking of getting an Evo IX but am afraid there's less things I can do with it.
Do help me on this, I tried searching but all that came out was people comparing 8 vs 9 turbos.

Thanks guys.
What are you talking about less things you can do with a EVO IX Dude just keep your VIII, if you are just looking to slap on a few bolt ons and daily drive, then yeah get a IX, but if your going to go for big power then there really isn't much of difference between the two, there are some differences but not enough to justify going through the hassle of getting another car. Ok let me explain better, two situations-

#1- You drive an EVO VIII. It has 62,000 miles and some bolt ons and put down 327whp & 322wtq. Your interested in a newer car and find a EVO IX w/ 28,000 miles and bone stock. You plan to add a few bolt ons, and possibly a 20g in the further out future. You like the look, drive, and etc., of the IX better and you realize just a few bolt ons and tune will put you right back at the power levels of your VIII. In this case get a IX for sure.

#2- You drive an EVO VIII. It has 48,000 miles and some bolt ons and put down 327whp & 322wtq. Your interested in a newer car and find a EVO IX w/ 28,000 miles bone stock. Your plans are to go big turbo, built engine, and all the supporting mods. Your thinking maybe going with a 35R turbo or bigger and hope to put down 600whp+ and daily drive. In this case there really isn't a huge difference between the two, and in my opinion it would be better to just stick w/ your VIII and go from there.

Of course if your just tired of your VIII and want something newer, that is fine . But in all honesty there isn't gigantic differences between the VIII and IX, not like the IX to the X.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:08 AM

There is an interesting article on this site about using S1 cams from GSC in the project EVO. Those cams look really nice, but I was wondering if they work as well on an Evo IX, with the MIVEC variable timing? The project Evo is an Evo VIII.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

^^^What does that have to with this thread? Absolutely nothing. So please stay on topic. I completely agree that if you are going for all out HP then keeping an VIII is just as effective as going to a IX. If you are just looking for lower numbers without spending a crap load of $$ then the IX is the way to go.

You have an VIII MR now? If that's the case, I would just stick with the VIII and throw on some good bolt-ons. If you were purchasing an Evo for the first time, then I would get a IX. But overall the IX has better modding capabilities and responds to tuning really well. Just weight out all of your options and compare it side by side cost wise. Just my $.02
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cubicleslave
There is an interesting article on this site about using S1 cams from GSC in the project EVO. Those cams look really nice, but I was wondering if they work as well on an Evo IX, with the MIVEC variable timing? The project Evo is an Evo VIII.
I have HKS 272 cams on my EVO IX, in my opinion unlike the 8's which show great gains from changing both intake and exhaust cams I believe the only cam that needs improvement on the IX is the Exhaust CAM...

There have been IX's running 11's on this forum with just basic bolt-ons and only the exhaust cam changed to an EVO VIII 272 Cam...

If you want to go Cosworth Cams with Springs and Retainers the sure it is worth changing both Cams on an IX coz the guys with Cosies do seem to get better results...

Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by supersal
There have been IX's running 11's on this forum with just basic bolt-ons and only the exhaust cam changed to an EVO VIII 272 Cam...

I think the term "basic bolt-ons" is used a little to often on here. TTP rans 10's with "bolt ons" in an VIII

Quick Reply: Evo VIII vs Evo IX : tuning potential