Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

*NEW* tune w/ cosworths

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should pick yourself up an intake while your at it
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Nice graph...

was this on 93 octane...?

Originally Posted by BoOsTinGEVO190
here is my ix

HKS rs intake
AMS tbe w/resonator
AMS fmic
cosi cams
Nisei licp
fuel pump
hallman mbc 23-24 psi@93
355whp 330tq 78F

same setup different temp 64F i really think temp make a difference

ran 12.1@113 i know i could traped more but i was shifting at high rpm i dont know why
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still do not have faith in any cams for the EVO9. My guess is your before and after cam dynos will be nearly identical. There have only been a handful (if that) of evo 9 owners that have show decent gains from cams. Most of those gains were dyno fluff as trap speeds weren't any different than stock cammed EVOs.

The stock mivec cams flow as well as EVO8 HKS272s. I think I would upgrade the turbo to a green before installing cams. Toss a little octane and additional boost at a green and you'll see much better returns.

The biggest crapper of the EVO9 is the gearing. With just a TBE and tune I was running out of 4th gear. I'm sure spinning the motor to 8k might allow for 1-2mph more but I don't like rods sticking out the oil pan.

We have a local EVO9 here that is stock less Green, TBE, Tune, and race gas. Its running consistant mid 11s with stock LICP, stock FMIC, stock Clutch, stock Inj, and stock airbox. To me it shows that the biggest limiting factor in the 9 is the turbo.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I still do not have faith in any cams for the EVO9. My guess is your before and after cam dynos will be nearly identical. There have only been a handful (if that) of evo 9 owners that have show decent gains from cams. Most of those gains were dyno fluff as trap speeds weren't any different than stock cammed EVOs.

The stock mivec cams flow as well as EVO8 HKS272s. I think I would upgrade the turbo to a green before installing cams. Toss a little octane and additional boost at a green and you'll see much better returns.

The biggest crapper of the EVO9 is the gearing. With just a TBE and tune I was running out of 4th gear. I'm sure spinning the motor to 8k might allow for 1-2mph more but I don't like rods sticking out the oil pan.

We have a local EVO9 here that is stock less Green, TBE, Tune, and race gas. Its running consistant mid 11s with stock LICP, stock FMIC, stock Clutch, stock Inj, and stock airbox. To me it shows that the biggest limiting factor in the 9 is the turbo.

well I wasnt able to get my cams installed due to my injectors not being bench flowed. I've been re-scheduled for the 18th of this month...

but to conclude on this, I hope that since my last tune was so close in comparision, time wise, to the new tune that the new cams will show more in mid- to -topend power...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Your theory is flawed...

Give you an example... a local guy with a IX only has a TBE and intake. Installed Cosworth 280's and was nipping at my *** on the dyno and I have every bolt on there is while running Cosworth 272s minus ported manifolds and tb.

I pulled 345 and he was nipping at 320.

91 octane...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

^^...true...^^
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Your theory is flawed...

Give you an example... a local guy with a IX only has a TBE and intake. Installed Cosworth 280's and was nipping at my *** on the dyno and I have every bolt on there is while running Cosworth 272s minus ported manifolds and tb.

I pulled 345 and he was nipping at 320.

91 octane...
I don't see the flaw....BTW what are you trap speeds?

On a 9 you don't need to replace a bunch of shart to make it fast. Odds are with a good tune he would have been taking chunks out of your cheeks without the 280s.

Power is about airflow and you can't twist much more out of boom sticks unless you increase the airflow they control. A bigger turbo running more boost on stock sticks will make more power even with mostly stock parts.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

yup those graphs are on 93oct
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I don't see the flaw....BTW what are you trap speeds?

On a 9 you don't need to replace a bunch of shart to make it fast. Odds are with a good tune he would have been taking chunks out of your cheeks without the 280s.

Power is about airflow and you can't twist much more out of boom sticks unless you increase the airflow they control. A bigger turbo running more boost on stock sticks will make more power even with mostly stock parts.
Umm right... They are both IX. We both bought our cars before winter and haven't gotten to the track yet.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about it...

His car has:

ARC intake
Cosworth 280's
Crower Springs/Retainers
TBE
Hallman MBC @ 23psi
Everything else stock

Pulled 324 to the wheels

My car has:

ETS Hard intake pipe with KN
ETS hard piping lower/upper
ETS 3" Intercooler
ETS 3" Straight through exhaust no cat
Megan o2 housing
Cosworth 272's
Megan downpipe
RRE Boost Controller @ 23psi

I pulled 352 but backed it down to 345.

So tell me, how the hell you can sit there and say that he could have taken "chunks out of my cheeks" without the 280's.

Seems to me, I'm pushing massive air...

Cheers-
E
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

What I'm saying is more than half of those parts don't do anything and you would have been better off with more boost and more octane which have been proven to make tons more power.

I would wait to do cams as they are expensive and provide very little gain on the stock turbo. If you later decide to go with a bigger turbo then you can pick the most appropriate cams at that time.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

LMAO...

Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you mean Cosworth M2 272's
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Umm right... They are both IX. We both bought our cars before winter and haven't gotten to the track yet.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about it...

His car has:

ARC intake
Cosworth 280's
Crower Springs/Retainers
TBE
Hallman MBC @ 23psi
Everything else stock

Pulled 324 to the wheels

My car has:

ETS Hard intake pipe with KN
ETS hard piping lower/upper
ETS 3" Intercooler
ETS 3" Straight through exhaust no cat
Megan o2 housing
Cosworth 272's
Megan downpipe
RRE Boost Controller @ 23psi

I pulled 352 but backed it down to 345.

So tell me, how the hell you can sit there and say that he could have taken "chunks out of my cheeks" without the 280's.

Seems to me, I'm pushing massive air...

Cheers-
E
so basically you have an o2 housing and an intercooler on him. ic and pipes arent known for making a lot more power at all on stock turbo, and your o2 should be good for 10-15 more whp, so I'm not seeing how his numbers with 280's are anything spectacular, theyre about where they should be and not showing any miracle gains.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Cosworth has 280 cams for the 9?

I thought only gsc had a set.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

M3 grind for the IX

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/c...7-p-46121.html

Cheers-
E

Last edited by Wicked E; Apr 11, 2008 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: *NEW* tune w/ cosworths