Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

CBRD secret sauce turbo upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool video! I cant wait to see what the full BBK will do on an VIII w/ 272s and 93 only. Hopefully this spring I will be dropping the car off for the install/tune.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
Cool video! I cant wait to see what the full BBK will do on an VIII w/ 272s and 93 only. Hopefully this spring I will be dropping the car off for the install/tune.
My car will have one within 2 weeks max. My turbo is already finish. Just need to set aside some time for me to drop my car up to Chad.

My car has S1's though.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiruu
The BBK is "proven" as well. The dynos are there for both turbos, the prices are there for both turbos, and the decision is yours to make from there.
You are complaining about it's price and then comparing it to a turbo that costs a few hundred more, and makes a bit more power. That seems proportional, fair, and square. What are you trying to accomplish with your posts?
hokiruu I agree whole heartedly.

Originally Posted by Gordian79
Just trying to get feedback.i want to be in the 400whp range.I dont want to have to add meth,turn boost way up(past 30) or do anything crazy to get there.i dont want to squeeze the crap out of the turbo to get there.my gripe about price is that everyone feels they can do work to a small frame turbo and ask FP prices.My dad owns an industrial machine shop and i showed him the video and its no too much work from his point of view once you get wheels and program done.his machines are too big to do small pieces like turbos.

this is proven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfo8sOnP3Yw

You have all the feedback you need in this thread about the BBK, it has proven to be a 400whp stock framed turbo. To achieve this level of power you have to pay particular attention to the specific mods that have been used.

No meth, race gas or E85 has been used to get this power, it was designed to use pump & under 30psi. It will no doubt thrive on these other fuels as well.

You need to look at the target audience/intended use for both the BBK & the Red, they are two totally different turbo's for different goals, all they have in common is they're both stock framed & modified.

The BBK's design parameters have been laid out by Chad through out this thread & others:
transient response, negligible lag compared with oem, pump gas oriented & worked in the 22-29psi range with a very quick turn around build time & competitively priced......it has met all of these. No wonder they're happy.

Well done once again Chad & crew.

Last edited by Steveevo9; Nov 12, 2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
My car will have one within 2 weeks max. My turbo is already finish. Just need to set aside some time for me to drop my car up to Chad.

My car has S1's though.
What are your mods these days? I am wondering if I should keep my Buschur Deluxe FMIC and have CBRD fab up a custom LICP or if it is worth the extra money to buy a Race core and IX Race LICP. I was hoping to do this as cheap as possible and the BR Race ain't too cheap.

Anyone think the Deluxe core will be sufficient on 93 octane boost levels???
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TURBevO8
What are your mods these days? I am wondering if I should keep my Buschur Deluxe FMIC and have CBRD fab up a custom LICP or if it is worth the extra money to buy a Race core and IX Race LICP. I was hoping to do this as cheap as possible and the BR Race ain't too cheap.

Anyone think the Deluxe core will be sufficient on 93 octane boost levels???
I would say any of the nice FMIC;s out there will do well, BUT, the BR race has proven itself time and time again...

we have our own FMIC that we use for our clients, and I'm in the process of redesigning the tanks and doing some little things...

but dave's Race works great if you can afford it.

Charlies car was about 15-16whp and torque stronger with the full version than the lite at the same boost levels last night.... we didnt have much time to tune, his car blew a line off the underside of the manifold... so it took us a little time to find, fix, and get back and running...

cb
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
I would say any of the nice FMIC;s out there will do well, BUT, the BR race has proven itself time and time again...

we have our own FMIC that we use for our clients, and I'm in the process of redesigning the tanks and doing some little things...

but dave's Race works great if you can afford it.

Charlies car was about 15-16whp and torque stronger with the full version than the lite at the same boost levels last night.... we didnt have much time to tune, his car blew a line off the underside of the manifold... so it took us a little time to find, fix, and get back and running...

cb
Maybe I should ask Dave what he thinks. I mean the Race is proven to be great but the Deluxe was their premier FMIC before they came out with the Race so would it be worth it? I dont know. Another plus to going the Race core, however, is I can just buy a new licp and bolt it right up rather than fab up a custom one to mate to my v1 Deluxe core. This is starting to sound expensive.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD

cb
Like chad mention The car gained 15-16hp and tq adding the turbine. I couldnt be happier with how the car is. On the road the car is a beast. Basically stock turbo spool with decent size turbo power. Throttle response is absolutely amazing. IMO this is the ultimate street set up. The tq curve is amazing

We are just going to tidy up a few things on the car. No part changing or anything like that. Then next week it will go back on the dyno again when theres more time to spend on the dyno

Also want to say thanks to everyone at blouch. I know them all but was great to finally see there shop yesterday. It really cool stuff to see what they do in person. Great work guys

Last edited by kreionic; Nov 13, 2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have any logs to show the shift response? Maybe 1-4 pull on stock IX turbo to the BBK lite/full? I am really interested to see the response improvements.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Do you have any logs to show the shift response? Maybe 1-4 pull on stock IX turbo to the BBK lite/full? I am really interested to see the response improvements.
im thinking of doing some time acceleration pulls on the next car we do a swap on, before and after on the dyno...

cb
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by kreionic
Like chad mention The car gained 15-16hp and tq adding the turbine. I couldnt be happier with how the car is. On the road the car is a beast. Basically stock turbo spool with decent size turbo power. Throttle response is absolutely amazing. IMO this is the ultimate street set up. The tq curve is amazing

We are just going to tidy up a few things on the car. No part changing or anything like that. Then next week it will go back on the dyno again when theres more time to spend on the dyno

Also want to say thanks to everyone at blouch. I know them all but was great to finally see there shop yesterday. It really cool stuff to see what they do in person. Great work guys
Glad that all of the time, effort, and money that you've spent on the car this year paid off with great results. Congrats!

Only problem is that in about...oh...2 weeks, it will feel just as slow as it used to
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:59 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Glad that all of the time, effort, and money that you've spent on the car this year paid off with great results. Congrats!

Only problem is that in about...oh...2 weeks, it will feel just as slow as it used to
isnt that the truth....

cb

YES 1200hp.... ok... so about that 1300!

cb
Old Nov 14, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
chad could you do the timed runs with a driftbox/performance box? so we can all analyse the data were familiar with
Old Nov 14, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

hey everyone... I am the owner of the car which dyno's got posted.. I got her yesterday evening.. AND.... i have no word of how to explain what i felt... It starts with spool up "Ridiculously fast" , than u feel the torque "Crazy seat crunching" and than what follows is the horse power"brutal" ... i am just trying to explain it so all of you can understand me but its hard to do so. Its kinda feels is like after you had sex with hot chick...

BBK ALL THE WAY.. ANYONE FROM MD IS WELCOME TO HAVE A RIDE SO THEY CAN EXPERIENCE IS.. I was amazed and pleasantly surprised.. I dropped of an evo 9 and i got back a different animal.. CBRD is an amazing place with amazing people... Now i am waiting for next year's time attacks.
I think this is what i needed power-wise, spool-wise and response wise.. It will be the ultimate track turbo.. )) and i was the first one to officially have the final version. Its got plenty of torque for fast corner exits very responsive no surge , flawless and plenty of power up top.... enough to keep up with the red power wise but not to go comparing the spool up cos its not even close.

Thanks CBRD .
Thanks to everyone who was involved with this turbo (BBK) evolution.
Any questions are welcome.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW

Thanks Rich. I strongly feel it has all paid off too. I couldnt be happier. We still think theres a little more in her. The car will hit the dyno again next week with a little more time to play around

LOL about the 2 weeks. If you only knew. It has been 2 weeks since Jan Well it was a long 2 weeks but sooooooo worth it
Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
graphite did u go the full or lite?

Quick Reply: CBRD secret sauce turbo upgrade!