Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

CBRD secret sauce turbo upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:42 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by theshadow
Hm sorry no before dyno...car's already in bits. After will be doable though, just for you online peeps. Could post the 'after' dyno run (dynodynamics dyno) + before and after graphs for comparison.

In too much of a hurry to get it back on the road though so might not hear form me for a good week if I'm having too much fun!

BTW - wondering what target boost is best for the BBK - 26psi perhaps? Or 30? Or something in between like 28? Hmmm.

Will be done by Saturday anyways - good times. Will add any results to the BBK dyno thead

the turbo works great anywhere from 22ish to 30... ive been running most of them on 26-28 lbs... as I've had less issues with knock than a stock turbo at 24psi because of the efficiency of the wheel.

cb
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chad, might shoot for around 28-29 or so then and turn it down as conditions dictate as far as knock threshold etc....2.0 bar is all my Defi gauge reads up to anyways and I do need everything to survive trackday sessions and whatnot

Cheers!

Last edited by theshadow; Nov 27, 2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Do 30psi and maybe see if there are diminishing returns after that.? It would be great to see where the turbo stops making power.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:33 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mrdevo
Do 30psi and maybe see if there are diminishing returns after that.? It would be great to see where the turbo stops making power.
ive run it to 32psi on pump

cb
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
ive run it to 32psi on pump

cb
Thats crazy chad.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah could try and run the biggest boost possible - but I'm more interested in achieving realiability for track events etc. I'll leave the max boost experiments to the big boys with the expendable cars
Old Nov 30, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

...and now I'm about to contradict myself. Finally picked the car up today and began to tune it. Turned out to be a bit of a headache - took most of the day to adjust my boost controller 'just so' so that the boost comes on fast and smooth roght the way up - had a nasty spike/hesitation issue for most of the day that drove me half nuts!

In the end, I set it up to run up to about 2 bar (29-30psi) and got a basically good so-so tune on it, not yet perfect, some little fueling issues remaining to be sorted.

Anyhow, nobody probably cares about any of crap that I'm yammering about. They probably just want to know what the BBK Lite feels like. I wasn't really sure what kind of difference to expect with the BBK Lite either - no clue at all what it would feel like versus the stocker, let alone how much power it would make. Wasn't sure whether it would make me poop my pants or feel more like a slightly-perkier stock 9 turbo.

So I'll cut to the chase...here's my attempt at a description of how the BBK Lite feels versus the stocker so far (only had it on for half a day).

In short - feels much the same as stock in most ways but when you really lean on it...I was thinking "holycrap you're not really my car after all you're some kind of beast!!!"

It spools just like a stock turbo - didn't notice any difference in spool, no extra lag at all. Actually, BBK Lite even seems to spool a little quicker half the time. Spools up all the way by 3000-something (I'm boosting real high and it's still quick to wind up) and then it just takes off right before 4k.....torque just hits and shoves you right straight into the rev limiter in each and every gear without letting up.

That's the main difference I've noticed so far - that the stock turbo had a power 'curve' whereas the BBK Lite just has power - no curve! So yes, you can really feel that flat torque curve - the BBK Lite never runs out of breath. It's not really a "OMGGGGG-hyperspace" feeling where the world distorts into some kind of intergalactic wormhole. The effect is more as if all my gears suddenly got really really short and all my favourite roads just shrank?! Hard to explain really.

Seriously - what will I do not that first gear is all but useless?? Its gone before you ever felt it! Second now feels like first used to, third feels like my old second, fourth feels like my old third...my fifth gear seems like a fourth gear and, well I guess I have no real fifth gear anymore!

I suppose I will have to recalibrate my senses somewhat. I'm still trying to get used to the power delivery of this thing yet my tuner says he still has another 20hp or so waiting for me with some better fueling and some heat range 9 plugs! Anyhow, pretty nice little turbo it is. I wasn't sure what to expect and still managed to underestimate it - still trying to get my head around this thing and what it's done to my car....and I mean that in a very good way judging by my evil permagrin that I just noticed I've had all day

It's the real deal anyways, no worries there. The BBK Lite is worth every single penny

Last edited by theshadow; Nov 30, 2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...and now I'm about to contradict myself. Finally picked the car up today and began to tune it. Turned out to be a bit of a headache - took most of the day to adjust my boost controller 'just so' so that the boost comes on fast and smooth roght the way up - had a nasty spike/hesitation issue for most of the day that drove me half nuts!

In the end, I set it up to run up to about 2 bar (29-30psi) and got a basically good so-so tune on it, not yet perfect, some little fueling issues remaining to be sorted.

Anyhow, nobody probably cares about any of crap that I'm yammering about. They probably just want to know what the BBK Lite feels like. I wasn't really sure what kind of difference to expect with the BBK Lite either - no clue at all what it would feel like versus the stocker, let alone how much power it would make. Wasn't sure whether it would make me poop my pants or feel more like a slightly-perkier stock 9 turbo.

So I'll cut to the chase...here's my attempt at a description of how the BBK Lite feels versus the stocker so far (only had it on for half a day).

In short - feels much the same as stock in most ways but when you really lean on it...I was thinking "holycrap you're not really my car after all you're some kind of beast!!!"

It spools just like a stock turbo - didn't notice any difference in spool, no extra lag at all. Actually, BBK Lite even seems to spool a little quicker half the time. Spools up all the way by 3000-something (I'm boosting real high and it's still quick to wind up) and then it just takes off right before 4k.....torque just hits and shoves you right straight into the rev limiter in each and every gear without letting up.

That's the main difference I've noticed so far - that the stock turbo had a power 'curve' whereas the BBK Lite just has power - no curve! So yes, you can really feel that flat torque curve - the BBK Lite never runs out of breath. It's not really a "OMGGGGG-hyperspace" feeling where the world distorts into some kind of intergalactic wormhole. The effect is more as if all my gears suddenly got really really short and all my favourite roads just shrank?! Hard to explain really.

Seriously - what will I do not that first gear is all but useless?? Its gone before you ever felt it! Second now feels like first used to, third feels like my old second, fourth feels like my old third...my fifth gear seems like a fourth gear and, well I guess I have no real fifth gear anymore!

I suppose I will have to recalibrate my senses somewhat. I'm still trying to get used to the power delivery of this thing yet my tuner says he still has another 20hp or so waiting for me with some better fueling and some heat range 9 plugs! Anyhow, pretty nice little turbo it is. I wasn't sure what to expect and still managed to underestimate it - still trying to get my head around this thing and what it's done to my car....and I mean that in a very good way judging by my evil permagrin that I just noticed I've had all day

It's the real deal anyways, no worries there. The BBK Lite is worth every single penny
smallah smallah!

-Jalal
Old Nov 30, 2008, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
lol at the hyperspace comment, I was just saying that to a friend when you launch an IX right... time-space bends or something
Old Nov 30, 2008, 04:37 PM
Account Disabled

lol,

ryan glad you finally got it on... you were our first international shipment, and with it going all the way to dubai (and your 10-12 day wait) I was anxious to see how you liked it.

get the tune dialed in and let me know, thanks again for being part of the family.

cheers

cb
Old Dec 1, 2008, 03:22 AM
Evolving Member

Chad,

I'm totally loving it. It pulls like a freight train right up to the redline compared to the stocker already - excatly the characteristics I was looking for. I am very impressed with what just the compressor wheel upgrade can do - in fact it's hard to believe really. Are you sure you guys aren't adding some "secret sauce" in there somewhere?

The guy tuning my car (not my first choice of tuner but he's OK) who builds alot of the rally and hillclimb Evos in the region and has done a whole bunch of FP Green cars, said that this little BBK Lite felt much stronger than the FP Green cars he's worked on (keeping in mind that we're on pump gas here).

I think I already have about 80-90 percent of the potential on tap, the fine tuning will just get me that little extra so I can take it safely on trackday sessions and meet up with my old buddies in their GT2s and GT3s again mwahahaha.

Bottom line - "works as advertised"

It's very likely that after a few people see this thing perform on my car there'll be some more international orders coming in to the CBRD boys. Top notch product and top notch service!

Now...need more seat time in this thing!

Last edited by theshadow; Dec 1, 2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:24 AM
Account Disabled

Chad,

I'm totally loving it. It pulls like a freight train right up to the redline compared to the stocker already - excatly the characteristics I was looking for. I am very impressed with what just the compressor wheel upgrade can do - in fact it's hard to believe really. Are you sure you guys aren't adding some "secret sauce" in there somewhere?

The guy tuning my car (not my first choice of tuner but he's OK) who builds alot of the rally and hillclimb Evos in the region and has done a whole bunch of FP Green cars, said that this little BBK Lite felt much stronger than the FP Green cars he's worked on (keeping in mind that we're on pump gas here).

I think I already have about 80-90 percent of the potential on tap, the fine tuning will just get me that little extra so I can take it safely on trackday sessions and meet up with my old buddies in their GT2s and GT3s again mwahahaha.

Bottom line - "works as advertised"

It's very likely that after a few people see this thing perform on my car there'll be some more international orders coming in to the CBRD boys. Top notch product and top notch service!

Now...need more seat time in this thing!
awesome ryan,

thanks again for the support glad you are enjoying it, sounds like a blast.

cb
Old Dec 2, 2008, 07:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So has anyone else tried her out with a ti shaft and clipped ti turbine wheel like my variant yet? I would be great to hear other's impressions if so.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:20 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
So has anyone else tried her out with a ti shaft and clipped ti turbine wheel like my variant yet? I would be great to hear other's impressions if so.
we have had some inquiries about using the Ti shaft/turbine.. but it requires a good clip to prevent the thing from surging, and the long term effects arent known.

the turbo spools so quick as it is (even with the full version) I dont see a need to make it spool any quicker hee he

cb
Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

sorry, but I read the first page, and there's 70 pages and I just don't have time. But does this upgrade you're speaking of, simply the lite version? that's $695 if you send your used IX turbo to you guys?

Quick Reply: CBRD secret sauce turbo upgrade!