Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

OEM replacement spark plug horror story... im stumped

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2008, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM replacement spark plug horror story... im stumped

not too long ago i hit 30k and decided it was time for some new spark plugs. i went ahead and ordered OEM replacement ones and installed them. The car had a horrible misfire, so i checked to make sure they were gapped correctly and re-installed them. After i put them back in, the misfire got horribly worse, to the point where the car wanted to stall.
i figured something must have been wrong with them so i just put the old ones back in.
after i re-installed the old ones, the car misfired and stalled. now it wont turn over

help?

EDIT: mods please move, didnt realize this was the X forums
Old Jun 1, 2008, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled

Holy crap I was gonna say, 30k on an Evo X already?? Where've you been driving?!?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

you make sure everything is plugged in tight?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

yeah went back through everything i took off to make sure it was all plugged in correctly... idk whats wrong with it.
i got it started to pull it into the garage, but it shut off as soon as i got it inside
Old Jun 1, 2008, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcjonnyp
yeah went back through everything i took off to make sure it was all plugged in correctly... idk whats wrong with it.
i got it started to pull it into the garage, but it shut off as soon as i got it inside

check engine light? is there a paticular plug that is causing trouble.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

no cel, i had a half tank of gas that was driving fine before i changed the plugs
Old Jun 1, 2008, 03:55 PM

Unhappy Maybe Damaged Plug Wires!

Spark Plug Wires that have not been removed for a long time (30,000 miles) tend to stick to the spark plugs and when you pull the Spark Plug Wires off the Spark Plugs and you use the wire to do this you can damage the wires that have weakened from heat cycling over a 30,000 Mile period (Especially carbon core noise suppression Spark Plug Wires).

The best way to remove the spark plug wires in a situation like this is to use a spark plug wire puller that grabs the spark wire boot around the spark plug instead of the spark plug wire itself, thus putting all the stress on the boot and not the wire.

Not sure how you removed the spark Plug wires on your car, but if your spark plug wires have more than 15 ohms of resistance from end to end of the wire, then I would replace them.

Hope this helps you.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evolution Marin
Spark Plug Wires that have not been removed for a long time (30,000 miles) tend to stick to the spark plugs and when you pull the Spark Plug Wires off the Spark Plugs and you use the wire to do this you can damage the wires that have weakened from heat cycling over a 30,000 Mile period (Especially carbon core noise suppression Spark Plug Wires).

The best way to remove the spark plug wires in a situation like this is to use a spark plug wire puller that grabs the spark wire boot around the spark plug instead of the spark plug wire itself, thus putting all the stress on the boot and not the wire.

Not sure how you removed the spark Plug wires on your car, but if your spark plug wires have more than 15 ohms of resistance from end to end of the wire, then I would replace them.

Hope this helps you.
hmm never thought of that.. could be the issue. ill check them out and see what happens
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Check to make sure all the wires are making good connections and you have both coils plugged into the harness. If the wires are screwed up then at least it isn't an expensive fix-
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...385a3244971573
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

well... i just checked the resistance in the spark plug wires and there wasnt even a connection.
guess time to buy new wires
Old Jun 2, 2008, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

well there you go!

they obviously broke when you pulled them out...
Glad that it is something simple mate

there is more expensive fix... COP LOL!!

good luck with the fix.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

even with 1 completely dead plug, it should still start up at least. It will be run rough though.

Last edited by 92gsxbaltimore; Jun 2, 2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Some people use the term "turn over" as the same thing as "start up".

My guess is that both wires are damaged and not just one. 2 100% dead cylinders is tough on any 4 cyl engine.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evolution Marin

Hope this helps you.
Using a spark plug wire puller doesn't really work well due to evos with the coil pack on the plug. You can really only use your hands to remove them.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

as a side note for installation, make sure you guys use spark plug boot grease (dielectric silicon grease) whenever you put the wires back on the plugs. Just make sure you dont overapply the grease because it is conductive and you dont want it shorting out on the spark plug well.

Quick Reply: OEM replacement spark plug horror story... im stumped