Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Burning a ton of oil??? HELP! AMS stroker

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning a ton of oil??? HELP! AMS stroker

Heres the story. I had to work on my car on the ground because my bro was on my lift. So, the car was put on jackstands in the front only, and I changed out my brake pads, and re-installed my Voltex rear fenders, and few other misc. It got to be 7am in the morning by the time we were done with our cars, so I started the car up, and it smoked like crazy. Drove the car around for about five minutes and burned about 1/2 a qt of oil. Prior to parking the car the night before, no smoke at all...running perfect, like it has for the last year. So, I do a quick compression test, perfect 150-152 in all cylinders, and leak down holds 140-150 psi in every cylinder. (Also, no signs of oil on the spark plugs or on top of the pistons) So I pull the intake and lower intercooler piping off and there is oil on both sides of the turbo. I immediately think oh ****, blown turbo. So, I next day air an HTA 35r which I was planning on getting anyway to replace the 3076r, (found the only one in the country). I install the brand new turbo and I have the exact same smoking problem the next day, (burned 1 qt of oil in about 10 minutes). So what the f... ???? Now, I figure that it must be a valve guide sill that is completely missing and dumping oil directly into the exhaust manifold, but this could not be the case since there is oil on both cool sides of the turbo, am I right?? I was then thinking that the oil return was clogged, but I had just redone it with the new turbo and it was perfect. So now I have two perfect turbos and no solution on the repair. Head is pulled and at the machine shop getting tested for cracks. WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE??? Maybe bad oil rings?? For the record this is a AMS built 2.3 liter motor top to bottom. I know the story is long so thanks for taking the time.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:57 AM

burning oil

Does your oil feed line have a restrictor fitting? If not you could be pushing too much oil through the turbo.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

How is your crankcase vented?
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:16 PM

You sound rather engine savy, but I would call AMS directly if I was you. I'm sure that they will be more than happy to assist you.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 05:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Burned a quart of oil in 10 min?

That is a LOT of smoke!!!

No oil on the pistons rules out rings and valve guides. It must be coming from the turbo. Is your oil return line completely blocked or kinked?