Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quartermaster Twin Disc from Devo Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quartermaster Twin Disc from Devo Tuning

Thought i'd post up a couple pics and my initial impression of the clutch as i know many are anxious to hear results of this clutch.

First off here is some pics of it :

Here is the connection for the new hydro tb and the bleeder valve:

I'll try and get a vid clip of it in action but that will come at a later date.

So far the clutch feels very strong.

It does have a good bit of chatter, makes a bit of noise (squeel) depending on how you drive it and the engagement is def. firm.

I expected all of this as it is a non-sprung double disc clutch that's tiny compared to the ACT clutch i removed.

The assembly is soo light that driving the car for the first time was a joke

Stall after stall after stall.

Finally had Sean B. our tuner to jump in and adjust the AEM to allow the car to idle properly and not stall out when off the gas.

Talk about light wieght

Anyway the main reason we swapped was that the ACT would not allow hi-rpm shifts and the disc i picked def was not up to the task at hand (completely my fault and no one else) I had to learn the hard way. Not to mention the retaining clip got stuck so we had to remove all the pp bolts through the shift fork opening.

Now the clutch dis-engages very quckly and allows for hi-rpm shifting however i have yet to really put it to the test.

I'm very happy so far and will put some street miles on it and then re-bleed and adjust and then will give it hell.

I sure hope the trans and tc live

If you are thinking of making this a DD it's probably not the best selection but can be done once you get used to engagement point etc. It feels like it will hold a ton of TQ & HP so if you are making good power and want to drag race i think it will work very well.

The main thing is that i know it will allow enough slip off the line and quick shifts so i hope to put the car into the 10's like we had planned months back

More fun stuff to play with and help out with the ET's are on the way.....

I'll make another post with lots of pics for everyone.

Please discuss and/or ask questions and i'll answer as best i can.

Last edited by PATRICK B.; Jun 20, 2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the price on this set up, or is it a prototype or something?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

I have had one of those beauties for approx 3 years. That clutch is not exactly a fun DD, (did do it for almost 2 years though) but it loves the track!! easy recovery on bogged launches and ultra fast higher rpm shifts!!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
I have had one of those beauties for approx 3 years. That clutch is not exactly a fun DD, (did do it for almost 2 years though) but it loves the track!! easy recovery on bogged launches and ultra fast higher rpm shifts!!
Nice to hear that info

Are you still using it since the initial install?

I'm really hoping this is the key to getting the car to perform the way i feel it should.

Price was right at $1500 but i think they have a special going on right now.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

1435.00 and they are in stock!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yes lightning quick shifts and very quick disengagement. If you cant handle dd with this clutch, i guess it sucks to be you because the performance cant be beat. As far as trannies and tcs breaking, this should be less likely to happen since you can slip the **** out of this clutch with little ill effect. I posted a review about this beast in a previous thread but hardly anybody paid attention....I guess the exedy hype has blinded them. Oh well
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

I don't understand the comments about it not being a daily driver. I've used this clutch for over 3 years and I think in comparison to the Exedy because of the soft pedal feel it's definately Daily Drivable. I'm guessing you simply went from a regular street clutch to this twin plate and I guess as you posted you kept stalling the car.. I think that's mostly you that need to adjust to it. I will agree it's different and less forgivable because one moment it's not grabbing much at all and then it bites at 100%.

Give it at least 3 days so you can get used to it. It will feel very natural and normal after a while. But seriously for what this is "A Racing clutch" it is in my opinion the best Daily Driving Clutch, don't compare it with a regular clutch and don't mock it because you simply haven't gotten used to driving it. It takes time to retrain your brain to any new clutch.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:39 PM
Account Disabled

HA exedy isnt near this clutch from what ive heard! This clutch owns all.. i will be getting mine from Chris at JNZ tuning.. great prices there i highly recommend them!!

Glad to hear other people are finally catching on to this great clutch... an not following like sheep in the exedy field!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly lol....I caught on to it two years ago myself....Daily driving is no worse than the act (better if anything because of stock pedal pressure feel) once you are accustomed to it...and it will handle TONS of torque and slippage!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tony gibson
Exactly lol....I caught on to it two years ago myself....Daily driving is no worse than the act (better if anything because of stock pedal pressure feel) once you are accustomed to it...and it will handle TONS of torque and slippage!
exactly!! I love this clutch, nice pedal feel with great torque handling
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
well i have had my exedy for around 25k miles. many drag passes and other bs abuse i put it through. all though i like my twin i AM going to use the QM twin next. and for 1500 WOW i dident even notice that. what a steal.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:11 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mitsuboost30
HA exedy isnt near this clutch from what ive heard! This clutch owns all.. i will be getting mine from Chris at JNZ tuning.. great prices there i highly recommend them!!

Glad to hear other people are finally catching on to this great clutch... an not following like sheep in the exedy field!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

No knock against Exedy and their clutch ........it's seems to be a very good piece all though i don't have personal experience with it......it held up well in our other Evo and LOTS of abuse

I was able to drive the car around a lot more this evening in normal city traffic and i must admit you guys were right it's more streetable than i first thought.

I'm sure it's due to me getting used to it and the clutch itself getting broken in and having some of that friction material taken off.

Shifts feel awesome and i agree from the feel of it i think slipping the clutch and saving the trans and tc will be easier

I'm very happy so far......wish i would have throw this in when we put the motor together (wish i would have listened to you in the first place Paul N.)
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

So this has stock pedal feel?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

I've only ever run Exedy clutches... have recently ordered a kit to rebuild my twin to a triple. But I'm curious what are the benefits of the Quartermaster?

Will it allow you to slip the clutch easier on a launch?

Does it shift better? I never had problems shifting an Exedy but maybe this one is that little bit smoother?

How much torque is it rated to hold?

How would an Exedy Triple metal clutch compare to this do you think?

I can't understand the OP stalling so much. Is this clutch very hard to slip? If so, would that not mean it's hard to slip for a launch?

Anyway I don't mean to be negative about this clutch, I'm just trying to ask some hard questions to get a sense of what to expect if I ever went this route down the road.

Quick Reply: Quartermaster Twin Disc from Devo Tuning