Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: What do you think about only 300 degrees of rotation
That is awesome
46.15%
Don't really see the value in it
38.46%
Don't have much experience with MBCs
23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

New Synapse MBC: Looking for pre-market feedback

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
If you guys have a non finalized mbc's, I wouldnt mind purchasing one. I dont care if its not painted or rough looking. I might be able to make a video clip showing my digital VEI systems boost gauge holding boost.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOIXreno
I would use it. I don't know about how far it sticks out.
Glove box will be a great place for it for anyone that wants stealth. It will be much more insulated to variations in temperature, and there is a rubber boot through the firewall right there on the passenger's side.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
There are plenty of great MBC out there. I'm wouldn't even consider buying another one (currently own a Hallman) unless the boost didn't taper, and boost didn't change with weather temperatures (about 1-2psi more boost in the winter than summer)
Ok here's an update as i am the only tester of this MBC. as the weather has been not typical socal weather! i have been driving up to the mountains and in some cold as weather lately. so everything from huge elevation changes to freezing temps have been experienced by this MBC and what i have seen is no change in boost from sea level to over 5K feet. no change in how the MBC performs in cold temps. lowest i've seen was 26 degrees. this car has been running with an unaltered 1.4 bar.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
So when is this going to be available to the public?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boostdtalon
Ok here's an update as i am the only tester of this MBC. as the weather has been not typical socal weather! i have been driving up to the mountains and in some cold as weather lately. so everything from huge elevation changes to freezing temps have been experienced by this MBC and what i have seen is no change in boost from sea level to over 5K feet. no change in how the MBC performs in cold temps. lowest i've seen was 26 degrees. this car has been running with an unaltered 1.4 bar.
You've piqued my interest When and how much?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Although the bleed fitting is technically the correct way to do it, I think that in realty it is not necessary. The port will only be bleeding air when the controller is actually open, which will only be a small portion of the operating time and will only be under conditions of high airflow at which point the cfm bleeding through the port would be only a small percentage of what is being consumed by the engine. I obviously have done no testing, but I highly doubt you could measure a difference in AFRs due to this.

Can we see a pic of this besid a Hallman controller for size comparison? To me it looks quite big and quite ugly, but the second version does look better. The limited motion and the click adjustment are good features. How difficult is it to setup - not to adjust but to set up, i.e. getting the right spring for your boost range and getting the min and max points set.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good thread ...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry guys, I thought this thread was dead since I haven't been getting notifications.

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
So when is this going to be available to the public?
We've still got some engineering details to finalize. The boost control part is somewhat of a no-brainer already, but have some minor stuff to hash out still.

Originally Posted by wreckleford
Although the bleed fitting is technically the correct way to do it, I think that in realty it is not necessary. The port will only be bleeding air when the controller is actually open, which will only be a small portion of the operating time and will only be under conditions of high airflow at which point the cfm bleeding through the port would be only a small percentage of what is being consumed by the engine. I obviously have done no testing, but I highly doubt you could measure a difference in AFRs due to this.

How difficult is it to setup - not to adjust but to set up, i.e. getting the right spring for your boost range and getting the min and max points set.
Since almost everyone installs the actual MBC unit from various MFGs in the engine bay, most everyone doesn't have a clue as to exactly how much air is being bled off. Since we have been designing this unit to work in cabin, we know exactly how much it bleeds. It moves so much air through the "tiny" bleed hole that it is like a tiny hair dryer when held up to your face. Not to mention the smell of fumes in the passenger cabin. There is so much flow, that it can drown out the spool of a turbo. And as far when it starts to bleed, it starts to bleed off pressure at almost 1 psi of boost, no matter how much you've got the spring cranked down.

I just used one on a Lancer Ralliart that we're playing with and setup the max/target boost in 1 gear. 6th on the freeway, one pull. Say, 10 seconds? Since it is in-cabin, there is no pulling over and opening the hood to deal with.