Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Transfer Case whine problem solved... or solved?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Transfer Case whine problem solved... or solved?

Ive had my 06 Evo MR se edition for a little less than a year.

I've went through 3 transfer cases, and my fourth has the whining. After mitsubishi voiding my warranty because of an exhaust (when all 3 other times, they replaced the transfer case while the exhaust was ON the car), I think I've finally figured out why my transfer cases have been going bad.

At first, I thought mitsubishi screwed something up while replacing my defective 3rd gear synchro that was grinding since the day of purchase.

Second, I actually started believing that I was beating on the car! Yes, i was brainwashed into thinking that a performance car had to be driven like a 1976 Mercedes 450 SEL.

Then I thought that they were putting in the wrong fluid all this time (considering that they had to take the transfer case off in order to get to the third gear synchro, this seemed like the correct reason).

Lastly, I "think" I may have figured out the problem: I never rotated my tires. I wanted to run the fronts down to metal before I spent another 600 on yokohama advans. the rears were at about 80% tread. So i figured when i get new ones, I'd just place them on the front.

So you wonder, what does this have to do with the transfer case? Those that are somewhat knowledged may already know, others are probably like... wtf?

I'll explain it in short. If all of the wheels (when you are going straight) are receiving the same amount of power and wheel spin... then at 100+ mph, (which i did very frequently, but thats not abuse! or breaking parts! thats breaking the law!) and taking in the fact that the front wheels are spinning at a higher rate since the circumference is smaller than the rear that has newer tires. (or tires in better shape with more tread rather) then the power sent is being diluted, and is probably damaging the center diff over time, especially at high speeds!

I believe my theory is correct, and if anyone knows about this, OR has not ROTATED!!! : Please do so, and save yourself the headache. I currently am taking the dealership and mitsubishi headquarters to court via freelemonlaw. Because they failed to correct my problem 3 times in a row. They could have just rotated my tires all those times that I did my oil changes ya know. Pshht.

So anywho... Feedback would be highly appreciated!
Or a built shep trans ACD transfer case for cheap!

-M
Old Jun 29, 2008, 06:57 AM
Account Disabled

Sorry about your story man we had a guy with the same problem,Its a shame cause the dealer told his the same thing about his exhaust.He came to us explain what was going on and we send it out to one of our buddy problem sloved till this day which was about 6 months ago,He called to thank me,But good luck with your car dude.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

funny thing is that I'd start noticing it at higher mph's. Higher gears. then it would start creeping into lower speeds and lower gears little by little. now, at 20mph rolls, in neutral, coming to stops, you'll hear it.

So you have an Evo9 doing high 9's low 10's... are you running the acd in there? if so, what do you have done to it, of not, what did you end up going with? I'm looking to swap out this headache for whatever I can to rid of the problem. I'd like to keep the acd. If I have to get it built by shep trans, I will, but I hear a lot of bad news about these transfer cases. I just cant see how mitsubishi didnt see this coming. I always said to myself mitsubishi was garbage for the long haul, I guess I should have trusted my first instinct and gone subaru. Yeah, low blow, but seriously, read the original post, and put yourself in my shoes. :-(

I still wont let her go though. Other than the T-case, everything works great.

Thanks for your comment, I will need plenty of luck!