Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

9sec9/OKIX's EVO, ROUND TWO!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck tomorrow Tom and Tony.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SloRice
I wanna go racing...
I'll come by and pick you up. The 3 Amigos could kick some serious tail at these events! Tim, can you be ready by 3:00 am? We need to plan a spring event to get together BEFORE Davids Sport Compact Race. Wish you guys could be in Big D tomorrow. 1 Musketeer and NO Amigos is poquito fun.

Thanks Mike. You need to hurry up and get smarter so you can make some of these events.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
Account Disabled

keep us posted Tom and good luck
Old Nov 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Good luck guys. I wish I could come out.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:48 PM

WOW! thats sick!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec9
I'll come by and pick you up. The 3 Amigos could kick some serious tail at these events! Tim, can you be ready by 3:00 am? We need to plan a spring event to get together BEFORE Davids Sport Compact Race. Wish you guys could be in Big D tomorrow. 1 Musketeer and NO Amigos is poquito fun.

Thanks Mike. You need to hurry up and get smarter so you can make some of these events.
I was ready at 3am...where were you?!?! OK, I was kinda...well a lot drunk at that time...but I would have sobered up by Texas!!

The 3 Amigo's went to the IFO in Columbus back in July. It sucked...to many ricers and then we got booted for going to fast.

Good luck today guys...bring back an 8!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

I wanna see an 8 sec pass today!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:44 PM
Account Disabled

Any updates from today?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

Sorry Tim, I must have driven by the wrong house.
We left for the track at 4:00 am yesterday, didn't get home until almost midnight last night. Very long day. The goal yesterday was not to try to get an 8 (would have been nice, but unrealistic for Tony's sake) but instead to give Tony some experience at driving 700+ whp and keeping it under control. Also, I usually find the AFR's to be different between Ohio and Oklahoma, and yesterday was no different. The mission was to 'roll' into each gear, but get a good power launch and shutdown in 4th. Well, let's just say that the power launch didn't happen, then the roll into each gear became a 'blow the tires off' event. We muscled the car down the track to an astounding 13.xx at 80 mph. The logs showed huge tirespin after the initial bog. The Buschur Built (thank God for that) motor took 10700 rpms on an occassion or two. NO FAILURES OF ANY KIND. I pulled a little fuel through the midrange (since I had good bog rpm - 6000 to work with, hint-hint TONY!!). Then we waited, and waited, thump, thump, thump, waited, waited, "Suns going down, Mr starter, we gonna get another pass?"
"Gee Mr tuner, I don't think we're gonna turn the lights on, so I don't think we'll be getting the TnT cars back up."
"Ah, come on, we've been waiting 7 hours to make our 2nd pass. Besides that we've driven 265 miles and still have to stop and eat. You've GOT to give us one more pass."
"We'll see what we can do, but it's gonna have to happen fast."
"Roger that!"

"ring, ring, ring. Cindy, hurry up and get the camera and get to the stands. Looks like we're moving and Tony's gonna get another pass."

Starter:"Turn on your headlights"
Tony: "We don't have any"
Starter: "what do you mean, 'We don't have any?'"
Tony: "My lights on on, but we don't have headlights"
Starter to crew "Are the brake lights on?"
Crew "Yep, he's got brake lights, but he's got aero panels on the headlights"
Starter: "Let's go"
Me thinking: "{whew}, now do your job kid"

rap, bap,bap,bap,bap,bap....bap,bap,bap,bap,bap,bap,bap ,bap,bap,bap
Me thinking again:"Damn Tony! I know we needed boost, but....."
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabopbopbo pbopbop
bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa{bog}HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHwaaaaaaaaaa bopbopbopbop
as the tires blow off then a few repeats of 10000 rpms and we scream across the trap at 14.45 at 80 mph.

At least we got our second pass. Good job Tony. "Let's go get something to eat, I'm hungry, tired and have a long drive ahead."

That pretty much sums it up.

Reviewed the logs this morning and made more fuel changes. I'll put the Nitto's on it this week and give Tony some seat time on the street.
Robert, I want a turbo that spools like the RED and pulls like an 86HTA on top. Simple, RIGHT?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:12 AM
Account Disabled

I felt like I was right there with you Tom, excellent description sounds like a long trip but at least Tony got some seat time and you've got some new data to pour over.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

yeah Chris. I think I'm going to ask him to go to the Mellon School of Driving. I'm afraid I'm too old and not experienced enough with the 'bog-a-big-turbo' issue. Anyway, he said his learning curve was pretty steep. When he launched the second time, it went straight up to 10K, he quick shifted to 2nd and 'off throttleed' it to a bog, bog, bog, bwaaaaaaaaaaa 10K again. Man, when that turbo hits, it HITS! In all honesty, I think some street driving will get him accustomed to the necessary high rpm shift points and recovery.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:55 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 9sec9
yeah Chris. I think I'm going to ask him to go to the Mellon School of Driving. I'm afraid I'm too old and not experienced enough with the 'bog-a-big-turbo' issue. Anyway, he said his learning curve was pretty steep. When he launched the second time, it went straight up to 10K, he quick shifted to 2nd and 'off throttleed' it to a bog, bog, bog, bwaaaaaaaaaaa 10K again. Man, when that turbo hits, it HITS! In all honesty, I think some street driving will get him accustomed to the necessary high rpm shift points and recovery.
lol, well I'm no expert but I've been launching at 7k to stay away from the bog monster and slipping the clutch a bit to manage shocking the tires/driveline. I haven't used the 2-step at all, it's already got plenty of power. I probably could have come down on the RPM a bit but I didn't have a tactrix cable on my last two outings so I couldn't adjust a thing
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Ya, I will say....its for sure a different beast now and I need more seat time. When that damn turbo hits boost you had better hold on because you are going for a ride....and oh ya... dont forget to shift in the mean time. I never would have thought you could smoke the slicks off of an AWD car so easily until now. But, with a little time and getting use to a few adjustments I know I will get it down.

By the way David, Thanks again the car is absolutely sick.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Launch RPM was just raised and it should build a little more boost. I figure if I can keep your foot on the floor, I'll dial it in with tire pressure and boost. You just have to remember
1. Put foot on the floor
2. Release clutch
3. Shift when it hits 9000
4. Don't forget to wipe
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Tom/Tony and the rest of the Powell family, you are welcome. Sorry that you didn't a chance to run more. It sucks sitting at a track all day long for 2 passes, I've been there and done that and I hate it.

I bet you were missing the track rentals from Ohio!!

You guys will get it next time, it's not easy. It's why I let Trent or Kevin drive my car.

Guys who thinks "Anyone can drag race, it requires no real skill level" have only ever driven slower cars.

Quick Reply: 9sec9/OKIX's EVO, ROUND TWO!