Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

couple intake ideas, need input.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couple intake ideas, need input.

ok so ive been assembling the parts over the past month or so to run a blow through MAF. this will allow me to be pretty flexible when it comes to the shape, length and location of my new induction pipe.

ive read that the bends in the stock/stock style induction pipes (pretty much all aftermarket induction pipes follow the same S shape, and have 2 45* angles) and since im not going to be recirculating any more (and i vta my PCV), i wont have any turbulence in the entire induction pipe (yay!)

its been said before that there are no gains between cold air intake, and short ram intake, but now im left with 3 options.

option A would eliminate 1 45* bend and cause less turbulence, people have had good luck with these.

option B would eliminate all turbulence, but might sacrifice cooler intake temperatures (might not even really be a problem with a large intercooler)

option C would relocate the filter down at the bottome of the bumper to create a true "cold air intake". this would require the use of a slime radiator fan, and the harsh 90* bend might make gains negligable due to turbulence.

Old Aug 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are HUGE gains on our cars to be had with a cold air intake over a short ram!
With a blowthrough, turbulance will not be an issue. The only time it will make a difference is if it is hitting the MAS from all different angles causing irratic readings, much like you will see when using a blowthrough on the stock MAS..The only downfall from the bends in the pipe will be added restriction but with a decent size diameter pipe with mandrel bends it will not be an issue.
I would go for the coldest air possible in the location with the highest pressure. I am working on a cold air intake for my car and I will not be needing a slim fan, and YES my car has ACD.
PM me if you want details as I don't want just anyone stealing my ideas
Old Aug 27, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cold air intake works, VERY well.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah if I didn't have an ACD I would grab that in a heartbeat
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 03 VIII perk I guess. The improvements of a cold air intake can be felt right away even without a tune. The performance also stays more consistent.