Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok. and amsoil says their filters are good for 25k miles? is this true? i've always just ran mobil 1 with OEM filters and changed both every 3k miles. I'm a little hesitant to believe the oil can be ran over double the mileage and the filter is good for over 2 years of driving for me
Old Jan 1, 2011, 06:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolvedN9ne
ok. and amsoil says their filters are good for 25k miles? is this true? i've always just ran mobil 1 with OEM filters and changed both every 3k miles. I'm a little hesitant to believe the oil can be ran over double the mileage and the filter is good for over 2 years of driving for me
Do some searching here in evom, there is people that have proof shown with oil analysis that showed the SSO going well over 8k

However the 25k interval can only be used in non modified cars , model cars don't go over 12k
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 97 dsm 4g63
go mobil 1! for the price you cant beat it!

**** on that i will never put that junk in my build motor. Save 15 buxx on an oil change but slowly shorten the life of your 25k+ build motor. I think I spend the extra change
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexl08
**** on that i will never put that junk in my build motor. Save 15 buxx on an oil change but slowly shorten the life of your 25k+ build motor. I think I spend the extra change
You are sadly sadly misinformed. You need to do some research. Brainwashing sucks
Old Jan 7, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
You are sadly sadly misinformed. You need to do some research. Brainwashing sucks
He is actually telling the truth, Mobil is making a Eco friendly oil now for better inspections and is not good enough for high horsepower motors.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kasey
He is actually telling the truth, Mobil is making a Eco friendly oil now for better inspections and is not good enough for high horsepower motors.
that pretty much summarizes what we have been saying here.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

wow... w/ ALL the available oil information out there this is being questioned??

Mobil 1 and every other off the shelf synthetic oil doesnt provide bearing protection via phosphorus/zinc additives anymore. They eliminated it to preserve catalysts for emmissions. Stock cars im sure are fine... but i wouldnt run ANY turbocharged car w/out an oil that is fortified w/ zinc/phos to protect the rod/main bearings, not to mention the turbo bearings.

Amsoil Dominator 20w50 has them... so does Brad Penn 20w50... Valvoline 20w50 VR1 race oil... there are lighter weights in their line ups as well. But any motor doubling their output or more, should run a 50.

There is a nice chart/list of oils that contain phos/zinc and their quantities on ForcedPerformance's website.

That mobil 1 10w30 that your oil cap says to use?? IMO.. thats a hell to the no...

Last edited by TakaseEVOIXSE; Jan 7, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
400 - 450 whp what oil for amsoil? 10w30 year round good enough? also how do i become a member to get a 1 year supply to stock up?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Listen to Forced Performance....they know what they are talking about:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

Bottom line is, if you are making big power, DON'T USE MOBIL 1. If you are making stock power or close to it, its OK (maybe). They know this because of how many exploded turbo's that are sent their way because of inferior motor oil.

20w50 racing synethetic oil is what everyone should really be using. I've heard countless of horror stories of really expensive engines completely RUINED because of mobil 1 use (bearing failure), and these engines were assembled by VERY knowledgable people. The problem is that Mobil 1 just can't handle the load in the bearings at higher power levels encountered in engines that are producing ridiculous power per displacement (i.e. 4G63), and mobil 1 doesn't like being overheated, once the oil gets really hot, it loses all of its lubricating ability and properties.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jan 7, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolvedN9ne
sorry for bringing back an old post but I'm lookin at throwing in AmsOil 0w-30 in my e9. recommendation is m1 10w-30... I wouldn't think going to a wider range of oil and a superior synthetic would be a bad idea, but it may be overkill for a 350whp evo. But then again its better safe than sorry. Thoughts?
Biggest Necro-Bump I've Ever Seen. Ever.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erik@mil.spec
biggest necro-bump i've ever seen. Ever.

+1 !!! Lol!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01
wow well this was an old thread

with the winter you may use 0W30
If you want to stick with what mitsubishi says they say 10w30 but 5w30 can be used to aid in cold weather starting. It is in the service manual. granted some people do other stuff.....
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have a lot of difficulty understanding HOW people on this forum cannot grasp the simplest of concepts when it comes to oil and WHY certain things are the way they are. The entire topic of oil HAS to be the most kicked to death subject on here. Seriously. What Mitsubishi "says" becomes 100% irrelevant the second you start making ANY changes or performance modifications to your Evo. Period. I have a service manual too... You know what I use it for? Torque specs. LoL!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

I think the reason for Mobile 1 being on everything is because of marketing and advertising. Plus it's kind of a monopoly for the automobile industry. Manufactures do not want to go out of their way to spend the extra money for another company. It's all about the lowest bidder, I'm in the Army, the military does the same thing. They pick the cheapest and lowest quality products because of money. And I find it funny when someone says "oh I use Mobil 1 because it's in the manuals and it would void my warranty if I use something else" Yet they still do other modifications to their car that voids the warranty. Last time I checked I voided my warranty 5 years ago when I installed cams, exhaust, and a turbo kit to my car.

Last edited by eldiablo79; Jan 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by RunThat
I have a lot of difficulty understanding HOW people on this forum cannot grasp the simplest of concepts when it comes to oil and WHY certain things are the way they are. The entire topic of oil HAS to be the most kicked to death subject on here. Seriously. What Mitsubishi "says" becomes 100% irrelevant the second you start making ANY changes or performance modifications to your Evo. Period. I have a service manual too... You know what I use it for? Torque specs. LoL!
Hmmm I missed the in depth conversation where the person said the specs of their car and why they needed to run 0w30.

Quick Reply: Amsoil vs. Mobil 1