Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

To replace, or not to replace? Rear main seal...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To replace, or not to replace? Rear main seal...

So... i've got the RMS sitting in my lap right now. I'm looking at it. It looks basically new. (46000 miles)

I can't decide wether i want to replace it or not. Obviously it would be a good idea but there is something to be said for "Factory Installed" stuff. Especially these big seals. I'm sure i'll tear this one up getting it out and there is no garantee that i can get the new one in perfectly. It might go in easy it might not. There was no sign of leaks before BUT i also don't need to point out that i'll probably never have it in my lap again.

What would you do? Factory installed part or risk a less than perfect seal on a new part? (My dealership is not a possability. They denied the spun rod bearing warranty claim so i'm not going there no matter what)
Old Nov 3, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I replaced mine. That seal is pretty big, I used my biggest seal driver (which wasn't big enough) and slowly tapped it in by circling the perimeter. I used a little oil on the outside of the seal to help it in. It did take some time to get it seated all the way in but I feel that I got it in there properly.

Maybe that helps.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i replaced mine
Old Nov 8, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can u tell if one needs replacement. i have had a small oil leak happening to my 8. when i got it in the air it seemed to be leaking somewhere between the edge of the oil pan near the transmission . at first i thought it was the pan but it wasnt. and its definately motor oil. i plan on getting a new clutch also and i figured its the time to do the seal to. what all do i need parts wise and how much are they.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could find a different dealer or buy the mitsu tool. Probably expensive. Id replace it while you have it out.
Part number MD998376-01
Old Nov 8, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lube and patience is your friend. You don't need any special tools to get it in. Just check the inside edge of the seal for any wear. It it looks new then it's probably been lubricated well all it's life and didn't wear down.

Also make sure the rubber is nice and soft but not swollen. If it's dry and cracking get a new one. Another way to get an idea of the wear is to look at the crank itself. There will be rubber marks and maybe even gauging if it's bad.