Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Redline Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil or Amsoil SEVERE GEAR SVG?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWOLN...

You are very good and correct on availability of tests... Most gear lubes couldn't pass if they had to... That is why AMSOIL is so proud of their test results..

http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/g2457GearLube.pdf

Extreme-Pressure Property Measurements Falex Pin and V-Block One Minute Step Test
(ASTM D-3233B)

The Falex Extreme Pressure Test differentiates between lubricants having low, medium and high levels of extreme-pressure
properties by measuring their load-carrying capacities. The Falex Test consists of a steel pin that rotates at 290 rpm against two stationary V-blocks in 250-lb. increments. Each 250-lb. increment is applied for 60 seconds and failure is recorded when either the pin seizes to the V-blocks or the wear between the pin and V-blocks is so rapid that the loading gear cannot keep the applied load constant.

Many people think that the One-Armed Bandit test seen on TV and at Fairs and Flea Markets is an actual test.... It is derived from this test but, The Human hand cannot be involved, it must be totally automated..

In actuality, Redline Synthetic surpassed AMSOIL in this particular test. But leading in one test, does not a Gear Lube Make.. LOL

Doc
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Oil Doc, you have lots of good info too

In regards to viscosity I agree with the idea of having an oil that works at both ends of the temperature spectrum. However, wouldn't it still be best to use an oil that has the desired viscosity at the working/operational temperature?

I tend to believe that some of the parts in the drivetrain rely on oil being picked up and carried by the gear teeth and if the oil is too thin it might get thrown off before it makes it to its intended location. Of course I'm not saying that we should be using some crazy thick oil but I am suggesting something that has an ideal viscosity for the application.

What are your thoughts here?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Thanks Oil Doc, you have lots of good info too

In regards to viscosity I agree with the idea of having an oil that works at both ends of the temperature spectrum. However, wouldn't it still be best to use an oil that has the desired viscosity at the working/operational temperature?

I tend to believe that some of the parts in the drivetrain rely on oil being picked up and carried by the gear teeth and if the oil is too thin it might get thrown off before it makes it to its intended location. Of course I'm not saying that we should be using some crazy thick oil but I am suggesting something that has an ideal viscosity for the application.

What are your thoughts here?

That is where most people, including engine and component builders, do not understand what the viscosity ratings are that are on the labels. The number on the left is Cold Flowability and usually measured at 32 Degrees where the number on the right is considered Operating Tempurature or 212 Degrees F. These are Standards.

Where another place is that people don't understand, is that 20W-50 Motor Oil and 75W-90 Gear Lube are approximately the same viscosity at operating temps. They are measured on two different scales so the numbers do not coincide.

It is much easier by far to build a synthetic oil than to try and make a petroleum oil work at cold and hot temps.. Notice... Build or Make Work... To make a petroleum lubricant work, it requires the use of specific additives such as Viscosity Improvers. These type additives are not as necessary in a Premium Synthetic such as AMSOIL... For example in oil... A Premium Petroleum Multi-Grade oil is at it's upper lubricating limits in the 230-240 Degree range... A Premium Synthetic Multi-Grade oil will not even get into it's additive packs to 265 or better and still lubricate well above 350.

Doc
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

I understand the lingo of an oil label and provided a viscosity chart on the FAQ for people to understand the viscosity between them.

So what is your take on the top fuel drag racers who use petroleum oil in the rear end because it works better than synthetic? I have heard many people in that league claim that you can tell the difference between the two with how the ring & pinion gears look after one pass. What does the Amsoil camp have to say about this?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Oil Doc

I have emailled several times with John and will again. He has not tried the MTG or SVG and hope to get him to try them...

I am not saying Redline is the worst product out there.... It is not... There are just better.

Doc
No offense, but John is an awesome guy and knows what he is doing. John has ran 7's on the stock DSM transfer case. You can talk till your blue in the face but its hard to argue with the results and reliability that he has achieved. When amsoil products start making their way into 7 second OEM based Mitsubishi drivetrain cars then I will start using it in both my DSM and Evo.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
I understand the lingo of an oil label and provided a viscosity chart on the FAQ for people to understand the viscosity between them.

So what is your take on the top fuel drag racers who use petroleum oil in the rear end because it works better than synthetic? I have heard many people in that league claim that you can tell the difference between the two with how the ring & pinion gears look after one pass. What does the Amsoil camp have to say about this?

My take is that.. too many people group things together..as in... All Petroleum is alike and all synthetic is alike... We have racers from all Classes running our products that swear by them just as there are some that will swear by petroleum.

We have the biggest names in Monstor trucks using our fluids, as well as NASCAR and World of Outlaw... There are also those that do not...

You can prove to someone time and again that something is better and they will never use it for whatever reason.

Life goes on...

Doc
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
No offense, but John is an awesome guy and knows what he is doing. John has ran 7's on the stock DSM transfer case. You can talk till your blue in the face but its hard to argue with the results and reliability that he has achieved. When amsoil products start making their way into 7 second OEM based Mitsubishi drivetrain cars then I will start using it in both my DSM and Evo.

No offense taken and nothing was meant by my reference to John.. I talked to him a little about trying AMSOIL....

I will talk to I am blue as I love what I do and I sell the best oil and filtration products available... It just takes time for people to come around sometimes.. Sometimes they never do, therefore the blue... LOL

Doc
Old Dec 1, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

+1 Heavy shockproof/ no problems/ recommended by mike a mynes
Old Dec 1, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

redline mt90 in the trans - no problems (IMO it shifts better then it did with the ams oil), redline heavy shockproof for the t/case - no problems, AMS oil 75w90 GL5 in the rear diff - no problems
Old Dec 1, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

No offense taken and nothing was meant by my reference to John.. I talked to him a little about trying AMSOIL....

I will talk to I am blue as I love what I do and I sell the best oil and filtration products available... It just takes time for people to come around sometimes.. Sometimes they never do, therefore the blue... LOL

Doc
I know you as Doc, but Dr. Seuss?

-E
Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
I know you as Doc, but Dr. Seuss?

-E
Or Papa Smurff...

You can call me anything you wish... My Banker calls me Mr. Schultz... LOL
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Like a bunch of people probably said, run OEM fluid for the TC and rear diff. It works fine.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Like a bunch of people probably said, run OEM fluid for the TC and rear diff. It works fine.

That is akin to saying... Leave your EVO in Stock Trim, it runs fine.

Most EVO owners are looking for the same thing in everything they buy... Something Better..

Doc

Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
That is akin to saying... Leave your EVO in Stock Trim, it runs fine.

Most EVO owners are looking for the same thing in everything they buy... Something Better..

Doc

Considering that the TC also lubricates the clutch pack on ACD cars, I'm very cautious about running something other than stock fluid there. I suppose there's no potential liability to trying something else in the rear diff.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

oil doc, do you have a website for your products?

Quick Reply: Redline Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil or Amsoil SEVERE GEAR SVG?