Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy twin disc clutch noise.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get a horrible noise before engagement from my exedy twin disk also.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:06 PM

Three clutches later ...

I had a similar issue, not once, but twice. I know the cause of my issue (now), and hopefully it’s not the same with yours.

I bought a second hand Twin Exedy for Evo sometime back. Replaced the discs and installed it on my own in my garage. Not too long thereafter the clutch would screech really bad when engaged. Other than the nasty noise everything worked fine. Then with the car up on the rack I saw metal filings coming out the peephole on the tranny – this while someone engaged first gear.

Immediately replaced it with a brand new Exedy twin. The one that came off the car showed that all the teeth/splines on just the second disc (closer to DS) was completely chewed out. We equated this to the broken pressure leaves (the ones on the full metal center plates – used to reduce the disc chatter) – remember this was an old second hand clutch that I bought really cheap.

Not too long thereafter, the new clutch did the exact same thing. Got car back to the shop and found that (again) the teeth/splines on just the second disc were destroyed. Further investigation showed that splines on the input shaft were slightly worn (back part only) – hence causing them to eat away at the splines on the back disc. I took full responsibility for possibly damaging the teeth on the input shaft when I installed the tranny on my own (in my garage). I know have a Single Exedy in there and it works just fine – except for the twin disc type chatter, which is most likely due to partway worn input shaft.

Three clutches later - lesson learnt the hard way. I’ve come to learn that installation of the twin Exedy (any mutli disc?) requires good alignment when moving the tranny into place. Don’t take any chances – pay the money and get a professional shop to install it.

With all the analysis I did on my Exedy issue, I’ve heard nothing but good things about them. So the not so old twin Exedy I have on the floor will go back into the car (already both replacement discs for it) when the current one goes out.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

I don't like the sound of that. ^

It started making that noise shortly after having my tranny repaired by a reputable shop.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:29 AM

I have a confession to make as well...I am an Exedy Twin owner.........................................and I too have the Seal Bark! (This thread may have the answer too why)
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:26 PM

My ACT 6 puck chatters on my SRT4, my buddy has a twin disc set up and he used to have the same problems as you at one point.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

its normal..
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:47 AM

They say a picture is a worth a thousand words, below are the images (courtesy Wicked White) of the misplacement of the intermediate clutch plate, disallowing the flat springs to assist in disengagement . Now for those who are saying this is normal for a clutch that cost almost $2K, let alone the installation price, I think you might want to reconsider what is being called normal break in noise.

Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Evokid8
i think i have the same problem....does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6DK_B2xq2E
thats my car btw
mine just started making the same noise, however i don;t have a twin plate, i just had the dealer replace my synchros and now iam starting to notice this noise. did u ever figure why ur's was making it?
Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

...I've never had this noise. My problem is the damn puller setup...yay for removing the TOB clip at the track.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exedy twins just make some noise, im on my 2nd one..both came withthe booklet that says right on the front of it something like "this clutch causes some chatter / noise from harmonic engine noises, this is accepted in the performance industry"
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:01 AM

Yes the chatter noise is normal, but the seal bark isn't....and if it is....Exedy does not mention it nor is it highly prevalant in all EVOs with Exedy twins.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:49 PM

I have had mine for about 35,000 miles now and it does it all the time, even worse in heavy traffic and it gets hot.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:59 PM
Account Disabled

Wow I was really looking into getting this clutch this year...cuz I dident like what people had to say about the ACT high rev lockout feature.

So whats the deal? Everyone's with this issues was installed incorrectly? Or you have to move some things around in the clutch before install??
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:13 PM

I had my Exedy twin installed by DSG outside of Boston, and it makes a "squeeling" errr noise when moving from a stop, but when I get the tranny warmed up it pretty much goes away. I haven't had any drivability problems though. I'm hoping I won't have any long-term issues either, but I've only had the clutch for about 4k miles.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:12 AM

Mine Exedy in my 06 Evo SE makes the Errrrrrr noise while downshifting when I let the clutch out slowly. If I hold the clutch in a certain position when downshifting, it will continue making the noise until I either stop of change the clutch pedal position. I had two different 2007 Mini Cooper S's(one brand new one) that made the EXACT same noise when downshifting, and, those were stock clutches. Its very weird, but, I think it can be considered normal. I put 20K plus miles on the two mini's with no problem. I am at 1500 miles on my Evo with the twin disk SD Exedy with no issues either. I tried adjusting the clutch pedal, didn't change anything.

Quick Reply: Exedy twin disc clutch noise.